Wiki Posts
Search

need one qualifying stay before 7/1

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
need one qualifying stay before 7/1

I want that extra set of certificates so I can have one last amazing double-upgraded Fairmont stay before FPC benefits are dead. Any advice on the best deal right now. I'm going to do a quick mattress run type thing, one night in a Fairmont. Best deals in the next 5 weeks - US or Canada? Willing to travel, prefer a weekend, city or resort, as long as there's an easy airport near by. TIA and long live FPC!
Old May 27, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by curl
I want that extra set of certificates so I can have one last amazing double-upgraded Fairmont stay before FPC benefits are dead. Any advice on the best deal right now. I'm going to do a quick mattress run type thing, one night in a Fairmont. Best deals in the next 5 weeks - US or Canada? Willing to travel, prefer a weekend, city or resort, as long as there's an easy airport near by. TIA and long live FPC!
Since you're planning on flying somewhere to do this, it's rather difficult to suggest options, since the best priced Fairmont stays may not end up being the cheapest overall trip cost once you factor in your flights. But if you're going to go to the trouble to get another stay in, instead of focusing on the best price, why not look first at places you'd like to go? Then just see if it meets your budget. I have trouble understanding the concept of travel just for the sake of getting a credit in a loyalty program. Go somewhere you want to visit. Make it a vacation, even if just a short one.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:40 pm

The cheapest Fairmont we have found on weekends has consistently been San Jose, California (barring a tech conference). Also, if you're flying there are several local-ish airports (SFO, SJC, OAK).
curl likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Since you're planning on flying somewhere to do this, it's rather difficult to suggest options, since the best priced Fairmont stays may not end up being the cheapest overall trip cost once you factor in your flights. But if you're going to go to the trouble to get another stay in, instead of focusing on the best price, why not look first at places you'd like to go? Then just see if it meets your budget. I have trouble understanding the concept of travel just for the sake of getting a credit in a loyalty program. Go somewhere you want to visit. Make it a vacation, even if just a short one.
one night can be a vacation we don’t do summer trips because MN is glorious in the summer. Fall, winter, spring ... well. I wouldn’t normally do this for a hotel but this is the last chance at certificates so making an exception.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.

SEASONAL ESCAPE IN MONT-TREMBLANT - SAVE UP TO 50%

Available: 04-May-2018 - 31-Jul-2018
Category: Promotions
Rate: Starting at $169 per night for stays from Sunday to Thursday or $199 per night for stays from Friday to Saturday, based on double occupancy. Taxes extra. Non-refundable.
1.5--2 hours drive north of Montreal YUL Airport.
Also, Washington DC should be cheap on June weekends.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold
YYC also has very cheap weekend rates as long as there is no events in town.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ntle
YYC also has very cheap weekend rates as long as there is no events in town.
Good idea, the Palliser is nice! We stayed once (winter weekend) for $109USD.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat (sigh) FPC Platinum (sigh)
Airfare and availability of direct flights will be the tail that wags that dog. But yes, both YYC and YEG have excellent properties with great weekend rates paid in low Canadian $ (and, if I recall, direct flights from MSP).

And can you remind me: is the offer contingent upon 2 stays before July 1? (In which case I'm good but I'd hate to make a false assumption here and end up missing out.)
Brendan likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
two other options

Many of us have this same challenge.
In my case, the answer is one night in late June at the Queen Elizabeth - during the Jazz Fest.
I am not prepared to travel. If I was, I would go to Winnipeg - great property, decent upgrades, low weekend rates.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Yes Napstolean, must be 2 stays on or before the night of July 1. I guess because of Canada Day, Accor is waiting till July 2 to take over. Also, DL does still fly nonstop from MSP to Calgary as well as Edmonton, Toronto, & Montreal!
Napstolean likes this.

Last edited by Brendan; Jul 5, 2018 at 10:36 am
Old May 30, 2018, 5:28 pm

For anyone looking for an easier way to search rates, you can use the calendar view on the Accor website. Once you find a cheap rate, enter the dates on fairmont.com and see if you can get the rate even lower by using a promo code.
Antonio8069, curl and Brendan like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Napstolean
Airfare and availability of direct flights will be the tail that wags that dog. But yes, both YYC and YEG have excellent properties with great weekend rates paid in low Canadian $ (and, if I recall, direct flights from MSP).

And can you remind me: is the offer contingent upon 2 stays before July 1? (In which case I'm good but I'd hate to make a false assumption here and end up missing out.)
yes, 2 stays by 7/1. One down, one to go. I’m hoping GDGR turns up something tomorrow.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:17 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Brendan

SEASONAL ESCAPE IN MONT-TREMBLANT - SAVE UP TO 50%

Available: 04-May-2018 - 31-Jul-2018
Category: Promotions
Rate: Starting at $169 per night for stays from Sunday to Thursday or $199 per night for stays from Friday to Saturday, based on double occupancy. Taxes extra. Non-refundable.
1.5--2 hours drive north of Montreal YUL Airport.
Also, Washington DC should be cheap on June weekends.
Can't use suite upgrade certs at this property FYI.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Are Great rates non-qualifying for the required stays? My local San Jose is 179$ at the moment. Dallas is 99$ at the moment. Historically, I have booked the room, checked in, entered the room and left.

I wonder if one could book a 99$ dallas room and simply not checkin? Won't they bill it and register the stay regardless?

Does anyone have a link to the extra certs deal and T&C's?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Are Great rates non-qualifying for the required stays? My local San Jose is 179$ at the moment. Dallas is 99$ at the moment. Historically, I have booked the room, checked in, entered the room and left.

I wonder if one could book a 99$ dallas room and simply not checkin? Won't they bill it and register the stay regardless?

Does anyone have a link to the extra certs deal and T&C's?
While GRGD rates cannot be used in conjunction with FPC certificates, they have been considered qualifying rates for program status.

You do have to check in to get credit, whether they bill you for the room or not.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.