Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrading of Gold Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Downgrading of Gold Lounge?

In recent stays in rooms on the Gold floor at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City and the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa, it seems to me that the food options are considerably less than before. During the afternoon cocktail hour, at both hotels there was no smoked salmon, no hot dishes and the choices were just cold cuts and various vegetables (carrots, celery etc). During breakfast, again the usual cold cuts, no smoked salmon in Quebec, but a very small amount in Ottawa.

The Gold floor staff were as usual very friendly and helpful, no complaints there and I'm sure they did not make the decision to remove the hot dishes and smoked salmon.

One other comment regarding the silverware, or lack thereof. In Ottawa just last week I saw for the first time the removal of the elegant silver and replaced with cheap-looking stainless steel. This has also occurred in Victoria, Montreal and Edmonton and possibly other Fairmont hotels I have not recently visited. Some people don't seem to care about the elegance (or not) of the table setting, but if you are dining in a grand hotel or restaurant, the ambience of the dining experience should be equally grand.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by royalflight
In recent stays in rooms on the Gold floor at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City and the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa, it seems to me that the food options are considerably less than before. During the afternoon cocktail hour, at both hotels there was no smoked salmon, no hot dishes and the choices were just cold cuts and various vegetables (carrots, celery etc). During breakfast, again the usual cold cuts, no smoked salmon in Quebec, but a very small amount in Ottawa.
Just to confirm you´re talking about the advertised "evening canápes"? (I´ve seen some small sandwiches, cookies, vegetables during tea time and the more elaborate offerings being brought out at 6.00p.m.)

If this was the only food offered during the entire evening, a big to this change. During my stays (at some other Fairmonts) the typical selection on the Fairmont Gold floor was much nicer than what you experienced: usually soup, salmon, sushi, pastries and some "creative" stuff (cucumber soup in small glasses, asparagus wrapped in parma ham etc.)

Regarding breakfast: Salmon should always be offered, though the plates have always been very small, but the staff usually is very good at replacing stuff. Weren´t there any warm dishes?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Its no surprise, Fairmont is finding corners to cut during the recession to offer lower rates per night price points. Did you notice your rate change? Might be a lower occupancy rate as well that is contributing to this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.