Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Southampton, Bermuda

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:58 am

Not a bad deal - three nights on the gold level and dinner included. Good find.

Yes, the room should be renovated and they are now completing the last block of rooms and should be completed sometime in March 2015.

All I can say is that the cheese potatoes at the Waterlot keep me coming back for more...
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
we go for 3 nights this Saturday and have always found the rooms very well maintained and I believe most are already refreshed. Will have to check out the Potatoes but have a hard time leaving Jasmine's Bermuda fish chowder.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:43 pm

Potatoes and chowder! Thanks, looking forward to it!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Fairmont Plat
We had a ridiculously great stay here a couple weeks ago, escaping the craziness that is this winter in Boston, using as many plat certificates as possible, and celebrating February birthdays for myself, my wife, and our 12-month old son.

We were upgraded to the Lilac Suite, a 1400sqft two-story "duplex", which has a room number on the fifth floor but also a door and access to the Gold sixth floor. The room was amazing, the 20-foot-tall windows were spectacular, etc. The space gave our little guy some room to run around, and we even hosted a couple playdates with other infants we ran into while we were there.

The off-season character of the Southampton Princess was obvious – there were several times we felt like we were staying at the Grand Budapest. Some of the restaurants were closed for renovations, the outdoor pool was basically unused, and we felt like we knew practically the entire staff (or at least they knew our son) by the time we left. As someone who's not big on crowds, it was exactly my speed, actually.

Having an infant in tow, we didn't make it down to the Waterlot Inn, but we did enjoy The Newport (gastropub) a couple of times, where had the same exceptional waitress there both times. One of those times, we used the "Authentically Local Dining Experience" certificate, and had an excellent meal with a variety of unfamiliar dishes – it's the most enigmatic certificate of the bunch, but we got exactly what we'd have hoped to expect.

We headed off to Hamilton for a day on the ferry. The off-season schedule, which basically forces you to spend the entire day there, is trickier with an infant, but we managed to make a good but exhausting day of it, with some lazy lounging at the Hamilton Princess mixed in throughout.

The gold floor, of course, was an amazing perk for us. It was perfect for our son's meals, the staff was terrific, and it was just ridiculously convenient. The staff kept apologizing for the "cold weather," but since it was -3F when we left, 65-70F was glorious for us.

It was probably the most relaxation time we've gotten since having the kid, so it's hard to imagine not wanting to do it again next year. Can't imagine we'd luck our way into the Lilac Suite again, but the service, facilities, and the relatively short flight makes it a pretty easy decision for us.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:35 am

How is the weather at the end of July?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by jounce
We had a ridiculously great stay here a couple weeks ago, escaping the craziness that is this winter in Boston, using as many plat certificates as possible, and celebrating February birthdays for myself, my wife, and our 12-month old son.

We were upgraded to the Lilac Suite, a 1400sqft two-story "duplex", which has a room number on the fifth floor but also a door and access to the Gold sixth floor. The room was amazing, the 20-foot-tall windows were spectacular, etc. The space gave our little guy some room to run around, and we even hosted a couple playdates with other infants we ran into while we were there.

The off-season character of the Southampton Princess was obvious – there were several times we felt like we were staying at the Grand Budapest. Some of the restaurants were closed for renovations, the outdoor pool was basically unused, and we felt like we knew practically the entire staff (or at least they knew our son) by the time we left. As someone who's not big on crowds, it was exactly my speed, actually.

Having an infant in tow, we didn't make it down to the Waterlot Inn, but we did enjoy The Newport (gastropub) a couple of times, where had the same exceptional waitress there both times. One of those times, we used the "Authentically Local Dining Experience" certificate, and had an excellent meal with a variety of unfamiliar dishes – it's the most enigmatic certificate of the bunch, but we got exactly what we'd have hoped to expect.

We headed off to Hamilton for a day on the ferry. The off-season schedule, which basically forces you to spend the entire day there, is trickier with an infant, but we managed to make a good but exhausting day of it, with some lazy lounging at the Hamilton Princess mixed in throughout.

The gold floor, of course, was an amazing perk for us. It was perfect for our son's meals, the staff was terrific, and it was just ridiculously convenient. The staff kept apologizing for the "cold weather," but since it was -3F when we left, 65-70F was glorious for us.

It was probably the most relaxation time we've gotten since having the kid, so it's hard to imagine not wanting to do it again next year. Can't imagine we'd luck our way into the Lilac Suite again, but the service, facilities, and the relatively short flight makes it a pretty easy decision for us.
Great review, how did you find the resort fees- this always puts us off going here... as we are not sure what we will be charged with our "free" nights
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by off2rome
How is the weather at the end of July?
We were in Bermuda last August, and the weather was extremely windy and quite warm. Then, a tropical storm came through a couple of days after we left. Even though it was "season" in Bermuda, we couldn't really go to the beach as we would have gotten pelted with sand. Still had fun, however. There is plenty to do without beach time.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just pulled up this thread: we have an award reservation for next month. Nobody at Fairmont ever said anything about resort fees, and they're not mentioned in our confirmation. Is that even legal? Does anyone know what the fees currently are?

We're Fairmont newbies: this is our first stay using the Chase credit card certificates and the corresponding premier benefits. I recall being told by Chase that we'd get "free breakfast" during our 2-night award stay, but I see that the certificates seem to only provide for $25. So I'm guessing that's not really "free breakfast" (and indeed also feels deceptive).

As a premier member, I see that I also get 2 additional $25 dining certificates. I assume I could also use those during this award stay? Could I have the $50 applied to make our breakfasts closer to actually being free?

I would also greatly appreciate any tips readers could provide me to make my stay both more enjoyable and less expensive. Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
I just returned from a stay at the Fairmont Southampton-- it was a pleasant stay. The staff was good to absolutely excellent, and the across the board at the various restaurants the food was quite good, and I enjoyed the Rum Swizzles. The Sunday brunch had an excellent array of choices, including some local dishes. The only restaurant that was slightly disappointing was the Ocean Club, at the beach: you could have drinks on the terrace but no food (we only wanted some small appetizers for a late afternoon snack as we had dinner reservations elsewhere). The inside was quite stuffy, so we had a single drink outside then left. The weather was pretty mercurial while we were there, but still I was surprised they refused to serve us outdoors. The more casual beach restaurant was closed at that time.

The rooms were graciously sized (we had an ocean view room); the walk-in closet was truly larger than one bedroom I once occupied in New York (OK, that's not saying much, considering the quality of some of my previous apartments), but there's nothing to complain about size-wise at this property. The bathroom wasn't anything spectacular, but I do like the Le Labo products. Plus, there were easily accessible outlets on the side of each night table. Usually I'm hunting around for an outlet but the Fairmont made it easy. Also, there were various adapters for connecting electronics.

One annoying thing: there wasn't a clock in the room. Bermuda is an hour ahead of NYC so on our first night we were late for a reservation, since we had updated some, but not all, of our watches/devices. Which also means no iPod dock or the like.

I think someone else in the thread mentioned the coffee was bad at this property, so I had intended on bringing an Aeropress. I forgot the Aeropress, but there was a Keurig in the room, with pods for 6 caffeinated and 3 decaf cups. It was completely fine. Plus a kettle for tea.

I didn't get out too much to explore the rest of the Bermuda, aside from a ferry trip to Hamilton (I took a cab back, which was about $30 I think) and a couple dinners out. But for a relaxing visit, either at the beach or in the spa, the Fairmont made for a lovely stay.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the report, Mile Mustard. Having gotten no other reports, I called Fairmont a couple days ago to ask about the resort fees. They patched me over to the hotel and, I believe, it will cost a little more than $40/night in fees/gratuities for our "free" room. Not great, but I guess nobody expects a bargain in Bermuda. Also, it seems like the breakfast will cost us each about $11/day above the $25 "free breakfast" coupon. Again, it's not right, but it's better than the alternatives. As part of my elite membership (obtained from the Chase card), I seem to have 2 additional $25 dining certificates that I was told I could apply to the "excess" breakfast cost. If that works, I guess breakfast might actually be free.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:24 pm

The only positive about the resort fee is that this is the majority of gratuities collected for the staff.

If you are limited to 25 for breakfast (seems there is a cert involved) you can pick up some coffee and bagels/pastries in Jasmine lounge and that should cover it.

As for weather in July, expect it to be very humid....even worse if there is no wind.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by yyz-kin
The only positive about the resort fee is that this is the majority of gratuities collected for the staff.
Actually, unless something has recently changed, there is a resort fee AND a mandatory graduity (which varies depending on the room/suite category you stay in).
Old May 17, 2015, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks for the report, Mile Mustard. Having gotten no other reports, I called Fairmont a couple days ago to ask about the resort fees. They patched me over to the hotel and, I believe, it will cost a little more than $40/night in fees/gratuities for our "free" room. Not great, but I guess nobody expects a bargain in Bermuda. Also, it seems like the breakfast will cost us each about $11/day above the $25 "free breakfast" coupon. Again, it's not right, but it's better than the alternatives. As part of my elite membership (obtained from the Chase card), I seem to have 2 additional $25 dining certificates that I was told I could apply to the "excess" breakfast cost. If that works, I guess breakfast might actually be free.
The resort fees have put me off staying here.. I heard that a complementary upgrade means an upgrade on the fees too.. not sure if it is true.
Old May 17, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CanfordCliffs
The resort fees have put me off staying here.. I heard that a complementary upgrade means an upgrade on the fees too.. not sure if it is true.
I believe the resorts fees are the same regardless of the room category you stay in, however the mandatory daily graduity varies based on the room/suite category you stay in.

I upgraded a previous stay from a Fairmont room to a suite using a suite upgrade cert and the daily graduity doubled to almost $50/day IIRC.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I believe the resorts fees are the same regardless of the room category you stay in, however the mandatory daily graduity varies based on the room/suite category you stay in.

I upgraded a previous stay from a Fairmont room to a suite using a suite upgrade cert and the daily gratuity doubled to almost $50/day IIRC.
Wow! I assume you pay gratuity in the restaurants on top and also resort fees on top. Can you share how much the resort fees were in addition to the $50/day gratuity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.