Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Southampton, Bermuda

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks, I'll try both options and report back on results...
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:14 pm

The hotel has told me there is wi-fi in the Southampton's conference rooms. If anyone has tried it, please let me know. I'm hoping to get emails during a conference without having to use 3G roaming. Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by katieq1
The hotel has told me there is wi-fi in the Southampton's conference rooms. If anyone has tried it, please let me know. I'm hoping to get emails during a conference without having to use 3G roaming. Thanks!
I can answer my own question now. The wi-fi in the conference rooms and public areas is working great.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
In the pool at Fairmont Mayakoba, and met the doorman who has worked at the Plaza for 21 years..

He has vacationed at Southhampton apparently on Employee rates and recommend this hotel out of the two because its ocean front..
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://bernews.com/2012/07/fairmont-...d-restaurants/

The Fairmont Southampton today [July 2] unveiled what is being described as a “reinvention, revitalization and renewal,” of the resort’s restaurant offerings.

A hotel spokesperson said, “The biggest and most significant change is at the former Newport Room, where renovations, a change in décor and a new menu that captures the latest dining concept in the culinary world, combine to create, The Newport, A Gastropub.

“The Ocean Club, The Waterlot Inn, Jasmine Lounge, Wickets and Cabana have also seen changes to their menus and concepts while a new waterside lounge, “The Dock,” has been added to The Waterlot Inn.”

Managing Director for Fairmont Hotels and Resorts Bermuda, Mr. George Terpilowski said, “On this our 40th year of operation in Bermuda, we at The Fairmont Southampton recognize that our market has evolve, the tastes and interests of our guests have evolved and so too must we evolve to ensure that The Fairmont Southampton remains host to Bermuda’s most distinctive dining experiences.”
Old Oct 23, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Recently stayed at the Fairmont Southampton for a couple of days of relaxation and had a very enjoyable stay overall.

Had the pleasure of staying in a one-bedroom Ocean View Gold Suite which was a very nice experience.

The suite is extremely spacious at about 1000sq.ft and had a separate living room and bedroom both with private balconies overlooking the ocean. The living room is easily large enough for a small gathering of 12 people

The service on the Gold floor - which is located on the 6th floor - was excellent and certainly a notch better than the general service level. Breakfast spread was decent with 2-3 hot options, thereīs also aternoon tea, canapes from 5p.m.-7p.m. and a nice selection of chocolates at night.The lounge can get very busy (there are a total of about 90 Gold rooms and suites afaik), though the staff offered very good service, so no complaints.

I particularly enjoyed having dinner at the Waterlot Inn, the food and wine selection are excellent and the service is outstanding - probably among the best dining experiences Iīve had so far this year. (though definitely a somewhat pricey experience...)

The only aspect I wasnīt too impressed with is the amount of mandartory fees/resort levy/graduity the hotel charges amounting to ~$70/night per person which is also charged when using free night certificates. (The charges arenīt as high when staying in a low room category) This certainly was the highest fees Iīve ever seen at any Fairmont hotel.

Other than that a very enjoyable experience and Iīm looking forward to returning.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:30 pm

I agree with Jasper2009. Really can't believe the amount of the resort fees! Just booked four nights using free night certificates from the Chase credit card. Was told on the phone that there were no resort fees, however when I received my confirmation it mentioned that resort fees were not included. I e-mailed the hotel and they mentioned that the fees will be $65 a night, equaling to $260 for our four night stay. Have never stayed at a hotel with that high of resort fees.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:53 pm

Had a nice stay. The hotel room was a bit run-down for a Fairmont, I thought. But it was adequate. Wifi was fast. The resort charges and fees are extraordinary, as noted by others. Got upgraded to a suite as a mere premier, so that was really nice. The suite was basically a converted connecting hotel room, so it was two identical rooms with a door in between -- one having a sleeper couch and one having a bed.

My room hadn't been serviced completely, so there was melted ice (you may know it as "water") in the ice bucket, and when I checked out, they charged me for a bunch of mini-bar stuff, which I think was probably a result of not really checking it after the prior guest. After giving me the quasi-third degree, they took it off the bill a bit grudgingly, and also took off a couple of items that I told them I legitimately had from the mini-bar.

Service ranged from moody, to indifferent, to stellar. Their beach area is outstanding, and the shuttle seems fairly frequent.

Food is very expensive and wasn't great. Buffet breakfast was about $40. Lots of choices although nothing over the top or luxurious. I paid about $30 for a sandwich and soda at the little restaurant down near the beach -- although there are no free soda refills so $11 of that was for two 12 oz. cups of club soda. Off-property restaurants are all a cab ride away, unless you take the ferry to town. Ferry service is good but it only leaves a few times a day.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by lkar
Had a nice stay. The hotel room was a bit run-down for a Fairmont, I thought. But it was adequate. Wifi was fast. The resort charges and fees are extraordinary, as noted by others. Got upgraded to a suite as a mere premier, so that was really nice. The suite was basically a converted connecting hotel room, so it was two identical rooms with a door in between -- one having a sleeper couch and one having a bed.

My room hadn't been serviced completely, so there was melted ice (you may know it as "water") in the ice bucket, and when I checked out, they charged me for a bunch of mini-bar stuff, which I think was probably a result of not really checking it after the prior guest. After giving me the quasi-third degree, they took it off the bill a bit grudgingly, and also took off a couple of items that I told them I legitimately had from the mini-bar.

Service ranged from moody, to indifferent, to stellar. Their beach area is outstanding, and the shuttle seems fairly frequent.

Food is very expensive and wasn't great. Buffet breakfast was about $40. Lots of choices although nothing over the top or luxurious. I paid about $30 for a sandwich and soda at the little restaurant down near the beach -- although there are no free soda refills so $11 of that was for two 12 oz. cups of club soda. Off-property restaurants are all a cab ride away, unless you take the ferry to town. Ferry service is good but it only leaves a few times a day.
In their defense, all dining on Bermuda is overpriced (and much of it, I think, underwhelming), I assume because they have to ship everything in.

Accounting for Bermuda being Bermuda, I think everything about the Southampton is great, other than the fees!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Also just completed a long weekend stay, thought it was pretty great.

I found the service to be mostly very good and our room was in good shape and well maintained by housekeeping.

My knocks are also cost-based (even allowing for Bermuda's high prices everywhere) - particularly when you factor in the 18% service charge added to EVERYTHING in the hotel and not seemingly removable.

The worst offense (to us) was that the service charge was even added to the "grab and go" self-service breakfast downstairs in the morning. It's bad enough that they are charging $3.50 for a 10 oz. cup of coffee that's comparable at best to the coffee given away downstairs at most other properties (including the Fairmont SF) - but to then have a mandatory service charge on top of it is a bit ridiculous. There is no service, other than the person ringing it up. Just ends up being some crazy tips.

For example, a draft Carlsberg is $11 at the beach terrace restaurant - oops, make that $13 with the mandatory $2 tip. Likewise there are a number of $20 cocktails on the menus - make that $24. Look, I'm a generous tipper but I don't tip $4/drink to bartenders.

But as I said, it was a great stay and I'd do it again - just have to have the right mindset.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We just had an 'ok' stay over Labor Day weekend. The good:
-easy trip from NYC
-shuttle arranged through hotel was prompt, clean and inexpensive ($15 pp each way)
-ferry convenient to get to Hamilton
-view from deluxe room was very nice
-beach club had decent service with getting food and drinks out to you

Overall, easy place to get to as a last minute trip

The not so good:
-service generally awful. Housekeeping did not clean at all one day and then yelled at us that she arrived at 9am and we were sleeping (we left for the beach club by 9:45). Manager comped us lunch and refunded part of room rate without us asking)
-concierge unwilling to let us purchase stamps at 10:50pm, said they were leaving at 11pm and referred us to front desk
-the coffee situation mentioned by alxstevens below made my husband irate
-rooms in need of some updating, fading and peeling bathroom wallpaper, etc.

The rack rate on our room was $595 per night. We had one night free as an online special. Management refused to honor the 40 percent off sale that had ended literally hours earlier but we wanted to get away. We even asked Amex fhr to check for us on the rate. Other guests were more successful in having management match the earlier promo (I even had a screenshot of it). A little disappointing given the high nightly rate with the service issues but a nice place for a quick long weekend.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:24 pm

Platinum in Bermuda

Does anyone know what the current resort fees are at this property; per person or room? Any platinum benefits such as gym access, or do you have to pay the gym fee or purchase a service in spa? We were there 5 years ago and not impressed with the concept of mandatory tips for poor service.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Apr 2, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dts9
Does anyone know what the current resort fees are at this property; per person or room? Any platinum benefits such as gym access, or do you have to pay the gym fee or purchase a service in spa? We were there 5 years ago and not impressed with the concept of mandatory tips for poor service.
IIRC the resort fee was ~$12 per person per night, the mandatory gratuity was $10-$25/night per person per night depneding on room/suite category and yes, I agree itīs ridiculously high. Canīt comment on gym/spa access, though Iīd assume gym access is free.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:48 pm

Just did a 4 night stay at the Southampton property. We are platinum members and used two complimentary nights (me and my husband combined) along with a suite upgrade, so we ended up with a junior ocean view suite.

Overall stay was great. A few problems I had:

- the "guaranteed" platinum amenity was not in our room when we checked in, I waited until evening time before inquiring. Long story short, I inquired 4 times over 2 days before receiving something (at some point one of the guest services staff said their plat amenity is free water..?! but in any case, at that point in time, I still did not have free water). Finally got a half bottle wine and fruit & cheese plate but fruit was actually molded (almost made me wonder if they found me annoying so they gave me bad fruit)
- resort shop didn't carry baby essential items.. well, this didn't ruin my trip but I was surprised since I was a few diapers short.
- check your final bill carefully if you used a bunch of certs! We used a bunch of certs and they made a bunch of mistakes. Our complimentary nights had taxes and fees of about $100 per night applied (they did remove it after we pointed it out). Our "local dining experience" certs were not redeemed properly... spent some time fixing it, and now (2 days later) my husband still noticed incorrect charges on his credit card.

The good:
- suite was spacious and very comfortable
- staff were mostly very helpful, especially at the restaurants!
- food is expensive (but I expected that from Bermuda, so I was not surprised) but very impressed with quality and taste of food. Kids under 5 eat free and they were very generous with portions (I had to ask them to make smaller plate for my daughter who was only going to eat like half of the food!)

We also checked out the Hamilton property and glad we chose Southampton. Hamilton had very nice modern looking rooms (we saw some when we walked in the corridor) and a very beautiful infinity pool. But the hotel is not near any beach, and the lobby felt smaller and more crowded (Southampton really and the resort feel). We are happy with our stay, albeit the few problems.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:48 am

Hello, did anyone visit this property recently? I am going in two months, paid about $1000 (before fees) for three nights in a gold ocean view room and one dinner for two.

I hope I got the best possible deal... And that they renovated the rooms?

Thanks!

Last edited by af fp; Jan 14, 2015 at 5:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.