Who Owns Fairmont Properties?

Old Aug 7, 2009, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Who Owns Fairmont Properties?

I was always curious about this. @:-)

I hear Prince Al Waleed bin Talal owns the Fairmont Monte Carlo - the building - formerly the Loews before it became the Fairmont. This is what is being known in Monaco.

I wonder if he owns other Fairmont properties?

If not him who owns the other hotels?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:28 am

I believe Fairmont was bought by a member of the Saudi royal family a few years ago...
Old Aug 8, 2009, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokinos
I believe Fairmont was bought by a member of the Saudi royal family a few years ago...

Thank you for confirming.

Prince Al Waleed bin Talal is indeed a member of the Saudi royal family one of King Abdullah's nephews.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Waleed_bin_Talal

A businessman owner of the first private A380 dubbed as "the flying palace" among many other toys and things.

:-:
Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Most properties in North America are now owned by either pension funds or reits. I do find it interesting though that Marriot purchased the Kea Lani a few years back and agreed to a 50 plus year managment contract with Fairmont. In Asia and the Middle East the properties are owned by Developers who have signed long term contracts with Fairmont.

The time share products (Heritage Place) are usually owned by Developers who then sell the units to several investors in blocks of 1/10th ownership per unit.

For a list of what the prince owns go here:

http://www.kingdomhotels.com/hotelportfolio.html
Old Aug 9, 2009, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cascadia
For a list of what the prince owns go here:

http://www.kingdomhotels.com/hotelportfolio.html
Thank you for your post.

The list must not have every property owned by the Prince.
The Fairmont Monte Carlo is not on there. Prince Al Walid bin Talal owns the building, probably under a different company name.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:35 pm

i believe in 2006 Prince Al Waleed bought the majority of Fairmont shares and took the company private.

later he partnered with Bill Gates (microsoft) and bought the Four Season shares and took the company private as well.

i am not 100% sure, but i think thats what happened
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL PM, Starwood gold, Fairmont plat
I know the Sheik stays at the Olympic when the annual CEO's meeting is held. He takes over the top floor and there is security everywhere!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oldhughesguy
I know the Sheik stays at the Olympic when the annual CEO's meeting is held. He takes over the top floor and there is security everywhere!
It is true. I have seen members of the family there on a few occasions.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Cascadia
It is true. I have seen members of the family there on a few occasions.
His now wife is his 4th I believe so he must have quite an extended family hence he needs the whole top floor!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:33 am

he currently has one wife, one son and one daughter
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Exclamation

Originally Posted by KSA_USA
he currently has one wife, one son and one daughter
I was wrong there. Princess Ameera is his third wife.

Wives

* Princess Dalal bint Saud bin Abdul Aziz al Saud, mother of Prince Khaled and Princess Reem (divorced)
* Princess Eman bint Naser bin Abdulah al Sudairy (divorced)
* Princess Amera al Taweel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Waleed_bin_Talal#Wives
Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CDG1
Thank you for your post.

The list must not have every property owned by the Prince.
The Fairmont Monte Carlo is not on there. Prince Al Walid bin Talal owns the building, probably under a different company name.
Probably owned under Kingdom Holdings.

Many Fairmonts, if not most, are owned by companies other than Fairmont. Michael Dell owns the Fairmont Miramar. Maritz Wolff owns the San Francisco and San Jose properties. DiNapoli Capital owns the Dallas Fairmont.

Fairmont Hotels and Resorts is owned by Fairmont Raffles Hotels International.
Here's a quote from Wikipedia:
"Fairmont Raffles Hotels International is a Toronto, Canada-based hotel chain owned by Kingdom Hotels and Los Angeles based Colony Capital, LLC. The group was formed in January 2006, when Kingdom and Colony acquired Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and combined Fairmont's business with Raffles. The parent company now manages three brands of hotels under their arm, Raffles, Fairmont and Swisstel with 88 hotels and resorts in 27 countries worldwide. The company also owned Delta Hotels at one point but sold the Canadian based hotel management company in October 2007 to bcIMC (B.C. Investment Management Corporation), a Crown Corporation."
Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Question

I thought Raffles was owned by Temasek Holdings... at least the Raffles Hotel in Singapore.... I am thinking of the property not the management.

http://www.temasekholdings.com.sg/

Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC, Delta Privilege Gold, Air Miles Gold
Originally Posted by CDG1
I thought Raffles was owned by Temasek Holdings... at least the Raffles Hotel in Singapore.... I am thinking of the property not the management.

http://www.temasekholdings.com.sg/

CP/Fairmont used to "own and operate" most of the hotels under the brands but like most other hotels these days, owership and management are now seperate. Most hotels are owned by an investment company and/or REIT and then managed with long term contracts under the Fairmont brand.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:16 am

The Calgary Palliser and the Edmonton Hotel McDonald are owned by InnVest REIT. The Banff Springs and Lake Louise are owned by a partnership between a private hotel company (Westmount) and an arm of the Quebec Pension Plan (The Caisse)

Michael

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.