Who Owns Fairmont Properties?

Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
So theres like another 15 Fairmonts being built right now.. Is Colony Capital doing these? Who's building 'em.. It's like a huge recession out there, and new Fairmonts are popping up faster than ever.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
So theres like another 15 Fairmonts being built right now.. Is Colony Capital doing these? Who's building 'em.. It's like a huge recession out there, and new Fairmonts are popping up faster than ever.
Not really. Almost all of these projects were started well before the recession. In fact several projects have been put on hold including Macau, Puerto Rico, Idaho, and a few in the Middle East and Africa. As well some Heritage Place projects have been put off including Whistler, Victoria, Maine, and I am sure many others I have not heard about.

It has been over a year and a half since a new Fairmont has been announced.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cascadia
Not really. Almost all of these projects were started well before the recession. In fact several projects have been put on hold including Macau, Puerto Rico, Idaho, and a few in the Middle East and Africa. As well some Heritage Place projects have been put off including Whistler, Victoria, Maine, and I am sure many others I have not heard about.

It has been over a year and a half since a new Fairmont has been announced.
Thanks for the scoop.. interesting Fairmont is still advertising these as future, with yearly expected opening dates. It makes sense that they would put alot of these projects on hold because of the recession.. I'm surprised they didn't anounce these delays.

Wow.. Its' amazing how many properties they got going before the brakes slammed. Who was the braintrust behind the aggressive development of new Fairmonts?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Colony Capital is behind this.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Colony Capital is behind this.
What's their strategy?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Most of these new hotels were in the works long before Colony Capital came along. The only new ones that are directly related to Colony's take over are the rebranded Raffles properties, India, and some in China. The Prince's influence has been a big part of Fairmont's growth since the take over of Fairmont by CP Hotels. He was a large shareholder long before he struck a deal with Colony to buy the entire group.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Most of these new hotels were in the works long before Colony Capital came along. The only new ones that are directly related to Colony's take over are the rebranded Raffles properties, India, and some in China. The Prince's influence has been a big part of Fairmont's growth since the take over of Fairmont by CP Hotels. He was a large shareholder long before he struck a deal with Colony to buy the entire group.
Great.. The prince is out of the loop, and Colony seems to be stuck in the mud.. Raffles and Swissotels is a nice add, hopefully amalgamate the program to work at all chains. Hopefully Colony Capital will be able to make these half developed work. If I'm not mistaken, 7 hotels are coming online this year, so can't be half that bad.. Should be more coming along, or did Colony totally stall the developments?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Great.. The prince is out of the loop, and Colony seems to be stuck in the mud.. Raffles and Swissotels is a nice add, hopefully amalgamate the program to work at all chains. Hopefully Colony Capital will be able to make these half developed work. If I'm not mistaken, 7 hotels are coming online this year, so can't be half that bad.. Should be more coming along, or did Colony totally stall the developments?
Keep in mind, Fairmont still has a large executive team, that make many desicions.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
SBM

Originally Posted by CDG1
I was always curious about this. @:-)

I hear Prince Al Waleed bin Talal owns the Fairmont Monte Carlo - the building - formerly the Loews before it became the Fairmont. This is what is being known in Monaco.
All property and businesses in Monaco are half owned by the

principality under 1 or more of their company names such as

"SBM" Societe Des Bains De Mer

Last edited by CHIC SILBER; Mar 14, 2010 at 9:37 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:37 pm

Colony did not stall anything. The individual owners of each property have stalled their projects. Only a small handful of the properties have Colony or the Prince as an owner / investor.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:12 pm

Colony did not stall anything. The individual owners of each property have stalled their projects. Only a small handful of the properties have Colony or the Prince as an owner / investor.
I think you are misinformed. Prince owns Kingdom hotels, which owns Colony, which owns ALL fairmonts except the 7 canadian properties discussed in this thread above which are owned by OMERS.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:07 pm
Suspended

I think you are misinformed. Prince owns Kingdom hotels, which owns Colony, which owns ALL fairmonts except the 7 canadian properties discussed in this thread above which are owned by OMERS.
Dude.. Fairmont should creat a corporate Family Tree.. That way we can look it up and not be confused..... and figure out who we're feeding when we're staying at these nice hotels.

God Bless OMERS and the Ontario Pension Plan, cause I probably stay at their hotels more than any others.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:47 am

Not true. The Prince and Colony are 50/50 partners in Fairmont Raffles. The Prince does not own Colony Capital.

Almost all properties were divested with Fairmont Raffles only retaining mgmt contracts. The exception to this are the new properties in Kenya and the new Fairmont in downtown Cairo which the Prince owns. The Prince is also the developer of the new Fairmont and Raffles in Manila. Colony owns the Fairmont Orchid (I think) which was sold off to them prior to the jv. The old Princess Resort properties may still be with Fairmont Raffles Company too. I just have not heard if they were sold off or not.

Several properties were owned by Legacy REIT prior to the jv. I can't remember who took that REIT private. The Ontario Teachers Union? Anyone know?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:18 am

Not true. The Prince and Colony are 50/50
You are right on this, except we do not know that it is 50/50.

"Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Inc. (“Fairmont” or the “Company”)(TSX/NYSE: FHR) today announced that it has entered into an Acquisition Agreement whereby a Canadian company owned by Kingdom Hotels International (“Kingdom”) and Colony Capital (“Colony”) will acquire all of Fairmont’s outstanding common shares at a price of US$45.00 per share in cash. The total value of this transaction, including debt and the combination with Raffles, is expected to be approximately US$5.5 billion (or US$3.9 billion, without giving effect to the Raffles combination). "
sourcE: http://www.colonyinc.com/articles/ne...s_fairmont.txt

Almost all properties were divested with Fairmont Raffles only retaining mgmt contracts.
You are incorrect. As you can see, Colony bought all Fairmont properties, but the 7 listed in the sources I posted above that are owned by OMERS.

The exception to this are the new properties in Kenya and the new Fairmont in downtown Cairo which the Prince owns. The Prince is also the developer of the new Fairmont and Raffles in Manila. Colony owns the Fairmont Orchid (I think) which was sold off to them prior to the jv. The old Princess Resort properties may still be with Fairmont Raffles Company too. I just have not heard if they were sold off or not.

Several properties were owned by Legacy REIT prior to the jv. I can't remember who took that REIT private. The Ontario Teachers Union? Anyone know?
As you can read in this thread, OMERS owns 7 Canadian properties.

Source? You are saying Kingdom Hotels owns some, and Colony owns others? The source I quoted says they are partners in a newly formed canadian company that was created for the Fairmont acquisition. I am not saying you are wrong, just looking for sources, as I did a little bit of research on this last week and would respectfully disagree with you.

As to the new properties, I am unsure who owns them, but will nor argue with you, as i haven't reserached it at all so you are probably right.

Last edited by CanuckFlyHigh; Mar 15, 2010 at 9:34 am
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: AC SE
Nile City is managed by a company called Fairmont dubai Holdings out of bermuda. The Owner is Nile City for Hotels and Tourism Ltd..

The Kenyan hotels are managed by the same company as above.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.