Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Mayakoba Riviera Maya

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Arrived at Fairmont Mayakoba last night.. Lots to talk about but so little time..

We received a local chocolate plate amenity early this afternoon.. This is an incredible amenity.. the best we received food wise out of all the Fairmonts we stayed at over the years. The chocolate plate is 8 inches x 18 inches.. a chocolate log the length of the plate.. green chocolate leaves.. 3 chocolate mushrooms.. 3 currie chocolate.. 1 tarantula.. corn flakes.. 2 brownies.. 3 logs.. 3 red capped mushrooms with white chocolate dots.. Where did they find the chef who did this? An incredible piece of art..

The breakfast buffet, according to Mrs. Maestro.. is the best breakfast buffet offering out of all the Fairmont breakfasts we've been to.. A selection of delicacies for the region.. There is approximately 7 stations.. with light fare that digests well with the hot temperatures experienced here in the region.. A good 1/3 of the breakfast is local fare including enchiladas, tacos, grilled pineapples, fish, chicken, as well as the American breakfast fare including omellete station.. specialty juice station.. cereal station.. cured meat and cheese station.. Really too much to mention and desciption does not do it justice.

One really nice thing eating at Mayakoba is both my 5 year old and 1 year old is free.. so that includes entree, drinks and dessert.. each child had $20 worth of food last night.. and the breakfast buffet was complimentary for them.. and they both had milkshakes this morning.^

The signature casita suite is well located by the Las Laguna area.. and actually we prefer to be located close enough to walk conveniently to it.. The extensive pool systems we've seen so far around Las Laguna is very good.. Also free child school program 3 hours per day.. and they have crafts, games, movies.. ages 4 to 12 are admitted..

There is a personal attendant assigned to us that is available during the day.. so will attend to our immediate needs.

One feeling we have is Mayakoba could be a tourist trap.. so far, its been very nice.. the food is very reasonably priced.. the Fairmont store is quite expensive but I heard there are a couple of Walmarts in Playa Del Carmen to drive to and stock up.. so we may do a rental vehicle for one day and go to Playa Del Carmen and stock up..

Also we signed up for Palace Time Share presentation 5 years ago.. and basically we did this 5 years ago.. For $50 payment up front for each adult plus $35 for children 3 to 12.. we will be receiving 8 tours for 4 people.. Including is Wet and Wild, Chitcen Itza, Tulum, Xelha, etc, etc.. Each tour value ranges from $50 to $100 approximately.. We are using this strategy to fill our itineraries for the 14 nights we are staying at the Mayakoba..
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Day 2 - Surprise and Huge Time Share Presentation Payoff resulting in Tour Bookings

Normally I wouldn't post after just the second day of staying at a hotel.. but tonite when we walked back into our suite, we were greeted with a surprise amenity. Basically the bedroom was full of balloons to the kids' liking and the staff dressed up the bed with flowers shaped as a heart.. Theres' something like 20 balloons, probably 50 flower petals shaped as a heart.. and 10 cut flowers.. Nice amenity Fairmont.. Bravo!^ to the Fairmont Mayakoba..

Anyhow, I can't remember when we've received such amenities.. Its' either the Platinum amenity.. or the Infinite Visa VIP Status.. So I'm guessing its a combination of both..

Did the Palace Resort presentation.. didn't buy.. made an offer.. It was $45K for a presidential suite for 200 weeks.. but that wasn't what stopped us.. it was the fact that we have to pay a minimum 4 adult rate to stay in their 1,700 sq ft Presidential Suite.. thus $4,568 per week.. I said I'll pay $3,000 per week.. the answer was no.. but they did make it enticing..

The Moon Palace presidential suite is 2 bedrooms, dining, kitchenette and living area.. marble everything with ceiling treatments sort of like our house.. But we ended up with more than $1,000 in free tours taking the presentation.. The following is a list of tour values on our invoices all in US dollars..

Moon Palace Day pass $168 + kids
XCaret $150 + kids (we paid $30)
Wet and Wild (2 days) $236 + kids
Chichen Itza $190 + kids
Tulum Xpu-Ha $200 + kids
Isla Majueres $150 + kids
(typically our 5 year old is half the price of the regular adult ticket.. all totals include 2 adult tickets)

The above we booked for $135 for 2 adults, and one child and the infant is free.. 90 minute approximate presentation required.. imo the best timeshare payoff I've ever visited.. we did not rent a vehicle.. but we have more than enough excursions to keep us covered for our 2 week holiday.. Palace resorts paid a $125 US cab bill to their resort for the presentation.. we had cart blanche use of facilities and their restaurants for the day.. and it was 830 peso back.. so approximatley $70 US cab bill.. We ate at their Japanese and Italian restaurant on site..

How do you sign up.. at the airport counter.. ask for Palace Resorts.. right side of hall before exiting the airport..
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Frustrated.. had a huge post and pressed submit.. and basically the hotel internet automatically directed me to a screen asking me to renew the free internet subscription for the day..

So sorry.. lost the detailed good things I had to say about Mayakoba and with my vacation time being so precious.. will have to post in the future of the tidbits..

But generally, Fairmont Mayakoba is rated on of the top hotels in the Cancun and Riviera Maya areas for their environmental responsbility.

All inclusives vs the Fairmont.. the very high quality of food and service delivered for the price charge.. bar none I would choose the Fairmont.

Las Brisas is our favorite restaurant on site.. the restaurant looks like its floating on the ocean.. Maestro's pick is 5 course dinner menu.. 3 choices of appetizer, cold, adn soups, run of the menu entree choice, and dessert choices.. We liked the King crab, lobster, shrimp, seafood appy's/ceviches.. The lamb and flambee lobster is excellent.. their souflee takes 25 minutes to make.

The Signature Casita Suite is excellent shape and looks new.. the marble type floors are throughout the entire room.. and looks like completely polished to look like one piece from baseboard to baseboard..

Staff is excellent and work very hard to ensure a high quality stay..

Spa is nice and has private areas for men and women.. drinks are served in the private lounges with steam, hot rock room, and jetted pools.. common spa area serves fruit, muffins and drinks.. loungers inside and out.. mineral pool and spa pool with decorative waterfalls are on the top floor.. elevator for handicap accessibility.. $20 for entry for FPC member.. well worth it.. and free with a treatment. My wife did the Passions manicure and pedicure here.. and I did a hair cut.. excellent service..

There is a water slide for kids.. my 5 year old son seemed to have made a lot of frends.. fun and water is a kids universal language..

We visited the height of winter holiday vacation for Mexicans and South Americans.. very busy indeed.

XCaret tour is highly recommended.. sort of like a Sea World, a natural wonder park the size of Disneyland.. and their evening show is signature Mexican.. best in the country I've heard.. Wet and Wild is good for the kids.. Tulum.. where the Mayans swam, is a good tour.. Isla Majeures is a great boat tour.. and tour of the city.. we we rented a golf cart and toured around and saw the bordering beaches and local businesses.. only $20 per hour to rent the gold card.. highly recommended.. Chitchen Itza is an excellent signature tour.. approximately 3 hours each way.. we will be taking this tomorrow..

700s look like the Signature Casitas are backing on the golf course.. so if you like that.. we are currently backing on the property rivers accross from the mangroves..

Very high quality delivery of service, food and amenities.. We shall be back sometime in the future..

I recommend addressing the staff formally by Senor, Senora, and Senorita.. I noticed that any use of Spanish in their native language goes over well and a long ways.. They are highly appreciative and receptive..

Fairmont Mayakoba is rated top 1 2 or 3 in the region mainly for the environmental sensitive construction and respect of ecology.. Certainly the property is impressive and a top choice comparatively to the all inclusives. Banyan Tree and Rosewood.. we did not visit and cannot comment on.. but certainly the Fairmont and the reputation that Fairmont possesses having talked to the locals is rated very high.. certainly amongst the top 3.. amongst hundreds of hotels in the region.. its comes with reckoning and respect.. and some jealousy that I've noticed when talking to tour operators, and their responses.. when mentioning that we are staying at the Mayakoba.. but that's a good thing.. to respect the environment, and to achieve some top rankings amongst the travel and leisure magazines.. The service and amenities are top notch as well..

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Jul 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:13 pm

Wink Ancien - can't wait

So glad to hear that your family is enjoying the resort. Thank you so much for your posts, I really appreciate the detailed descriptions.

Have a splendid vacation Ancien

Senora P
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Ancien- Thanks for your TR. Great to hear this resort is exceeding your expectations. I'm wondering if the Visa Signature VIP is getting you the service or if it was being Platinum.

I'm going to probably try what Jarusoba did and spend a nice weekend there. Any idea if infants are accepted there? We have a 7 week old ATM .
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: AMX CENT
Just booked! Can't wait.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by makemoretospendmore
Ancien- Thanks for your TR. Great to hear this resort is exceeding your expectations. I'm wondering if the Visa Signature VIP is getting you the service or if it was being Platinum.

I'm going to probably try what Jarusoba did and spend a nice weekend there. Any idea if infants are accepted there? We have a 7 week old ATM .
Our one year old was welcomed with opened arms.. A crib was provided to us and one of the amenities given to us was a stuffed Dolphin.

We were pleasently surprised by the service of the resort.. and the Fairmont has become one of the top hotels in the region.. The environmental responsible construction has seperated the resort into two parts.. One at the beach and one part is on the upper hill.. In between section, is mangroves.. so a bit of travel by carts, or bikes to and fro..

btw.. mosquitoes do come out in the evening.. so bring some bug spray.. but its like that at any hotel that you'd stay at in the region..
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:53 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
We were pleasently surprised by the service of the resort.. and the Fairmont has become one of the top hotels in the region..
We must have been staying in a parallel universe, either that or your status is buying better treatment. Our next stop will stay at Rosewood next door which by all accounts gives consistently good service
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
We must have been staying in a parallel universe, either that or your status is buying better treatment. Our next stop will stay at Rosewood next door which by all accounts gives consistently good service
I can assure you that our status did not buy better treatment.. in fact, the hotel service generally for all guests is outstanding..

However, the FPC team treatment of its' most loyal members is not outstanding.. The only problem I had with the hotel was dealing with the FPC manager.. who basically at the end of the day expected me to pay more for less..

Without going into details because I like to keep certain issues confidential.. we resolved the difficulties experienced, and was promised an e-mail letter in writing to what we've discussed.. which I've requested no less than 5 times directly with the FPC manager, each time with her promise that she would send it.. and a few times her stating that she has sent it.. still awaiting the e-mail.. will probably have to deal with it when I get back..

This problem is keeping me from going back any time soon.. will try it again sometime.. but flying that far for vacation.. Its important that Management nails their treatment for their Loyalty members.. We are looking forward to Hawaii next spring break again..
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I can assure you that our status did not buy better treatment.. in fact, the hotel service generally for all guests is outstanding..
Glad it is working out for you. As I had mentioned, I found the service mediocre. Maybe we had worse luck, or we are too fussy, but I was in no rush to return to this place largely because of lack-luster service.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:38 am
Suspended

Glad it is working out for you. As I had mentioned, I found the service mediocre. Maybe we had worse luck, or we are too fussy, but I was in no rush to return to this place largely because of lack-luster service.
Of course, I'm basing the level of service we experienced in comparison to other Fairmonts we've stayed at.. Out of the 15 or so we've stayed at, this hotel is tops in service..

but compared, to say Four Seasons Maui or Four Seasons Hualalai.. leave much to be desired..

in the end, unfortunately, management attitude needs a change.. We will be bringing our business only to the Fairmonts who take our business seriously, and that's becoming a very select handful.. I foresee our 53 or so nights this year being cut back to 20 nights or so in the coming years.. unless we're receiving outstanding treatment..
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
You can always try the Banyan Tree which is exceptional. Stayed at the Banyan Tree after a lacklustre stay at the Fairmont and wouldn't return to the Fairmont, unless of course I got a really good rate.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by stinger
You can always try the Banyan Tree which is exceptional. Stayed at the Banyan Tree after a lacklustre stay at the Fairmont and wouldn't return to the Fairmont, unless of course I got a really good rate.
Banyan Tree under the opening rates was a good option... but at current rates too much. If I am going to pay $1000 a night I'm going to Maldives not what is basically a man made enclave just outside Cancun. Rosewood definitely seems the best balance
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Banyan Tree under the opening rates was a good option... but at current rates too much. If I am going to pay $1000 a night I'm going to Maldives not what is basically a man made enclave just outside Cancun. Rosewood definitely seems the best balance
Good point, when I stayed at the Banyan Tree, I was on the Amex Plat two for one offer and the wonderful spa suites were under $700/night including breakfast, two massages and a few other things. (paid two nights and received two free)
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:02 am
Suspended

FPC Manager e-mails me as a result of my posting her mention here on FlyerTalk.. she says that she was off for an emergency and couldn't respond to me..

Well, what happened with the at least five times I spoke to her personally, and twice she said that an e-mail was sent? And never was....

I fly accross NA for a vacation.. I don't need issues.. currently in California, and having to deal with someone I honestly can't trust.. plus the correspondences today is aggravation on my vacation I really don't need..

A simple request I make.. deliver what you said you would deliver..

Edit: the story changes again..

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Aug 6, 2011 at 2:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.