Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The code you get for the Spa is the same as the Fitness Room, however the code you get for the Fitness room is NOT the same as the spa

Resort fees are bogus and Fairmont has jumped in with the crooks at Starwood who charge some really high and unreasonable fees! Hyatt at least has moderate fees and they include stuff.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The code you get for the Spa is the same as the Fitness Room, however the code you get for the Fitness room is NOT the same as the spa

Resort fees are bogus and Fairmont has jumped in with the crooks at Starwood who charge some really high and unreasonable fees! Hyatt at least has moderate fees and they include stuff.
I remember that the fitness code was different from the spa code as well.. but having the spa code would allow access into the fitness room. Has anybody tried? Caught red handed?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
What are you guys talking about regarding the resort fee? Where is your source? I don't see ANYTHING about this. Just booked, I see:

includes 2% Tourism Improvement Fee 4% Tourism Levy Resort Fee 5% GST

Thats 11%, which is what the tax on a hotel has been as long as I can remember (except when GST was higher). This is normal.

Source?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE
source being my bill from two weeks ago suffice?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
source being my bill from two weeks ago suffice?
Absolutely. But they don't disclose it ANYWHERE. Are you sure you weren't confusing the "toursim levy resort fee" 5% as a resort fee?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
What are you guys talking about regarding the resort fee? Where is your source? I don't see ANYTHING about this. Just booked, I see:

includes 2% Tourism Improvement Fee 4% Tourism Levy Resort Fee 5% GST

Thats 11%, which is what the tax on a hotel has been as long as I can remember (except when GST was higher). This is normal.

Source?
Originally Posted by anti_ice
I would casually but firmly refuse to pay for any bookings made previously, just be aware at checkout. They are likely to ensnare several people unawares, but if you look for it, they can't make you pay. It should say on your confirmation anyway:

from an old reservation,
Total Rate: $358.00 CAD plus 2% Tourism Improvement Fee 4% Tourism Levy 5% GST

New bookings include the text "Resort Fee" on this line.

Resort fees on free nights, just like fuel surcharges on flight redemption's, would be incredible shady and a black mark on the Fairmont brand, IMO. My opinion of SPG and AC dropped many notches when they started doing this.

ALL-IN PRICING!!!!

CFH, I think you are reading this wrong. See my old post above. It should actually be read as follows:

2% Tourism Improvement Fee, 4% Tourism Levy, Resort Fee, 5% GST

If you do the math and compare to the "room rate summary" you should see that the result is (quoted room rate)*1.11+$10.

Furthermore, it seems as though they are trying to bury it even more as when it first came out, the room rate summary said this:

2% Tourism Improvement Fee 4% Tourism Levy 5% GST Resort Fee

A subtle but effective difference considering the current confusion.

Boo on Fairmont again.

Last edited by anti_ice; Jun 16, 2010 at 11:42 am Reason: sp.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:33 pm

Thumbs down

Oh, and I just realized that they charge the 11% tax on the resort fee as well. So they are actually adding $11.10.

The math is actually (quoted room rate+10)*1.11.

As a result I am officially adding an additional bonus 11% to my BOOOOOOO.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:38 pm

Based on the way they are sneaking the "disclosure" into the reservation, I'd be curious to know how it is presented on your actual invoice upon checkout.

Just add it to the tax line as they do in the online rate quote and hope the guest doesn't pull out their calculator and say, "hey, this number isn't 11%"?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 4:53 pm

I'm staying twice in July. If I see a resort fee, I will be asking to speak to a manager. It's the principal of it - that disclosure is VERY shady. I copied and pasted, there is no comma between the tourism levy and resort fee.
If they disclose it - fine. If not, like they are now, very shady.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 4:59 pm

$10 per night resort fee - verified.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Reservations agent told me the resort fee is $10 pp per night.. so if its $10 per room that's less than what they quoted.. or is the resort fee $10 per room per night?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:44 pm
Suspended

One Bedroom suite was sold out on the night of July 3rd.. so personal concierge called hotel to see if they can get me in on that night and stay for a total of 5 nights.. I've tried the hotel manager, and reservations a number of times and no luck.. can't get in, so only 3 nights from June 30th to July 3rd.

Budda Boom Budda Ching.. Surprise.. not only did she get me the one bedroom suite on that weekend that's sold out, but she guaranteed me the spa suite!

Do this deal.. must book two nights in a row to get Escape to Willowstream Package for $449 per night over Canada Day Long Weekend.. included in each night is 2 massages, breakfast for 2, self parking, all gratuities, and Fairmont category room.^
Old Jun 16, 2010, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Reservations agent told me the resort fee is $10 pp per night.. so if its $10 per room that's less than what they quoted.. or is the resort fee $10 per room per night?
I was told my a front office manager that it is per night, not per person.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:06 pm
Suspended

I don't get the Springs.. the rates were way higher for the summer a month ago.. I mean the Escape to Willowstream was $599 and now $449.. Summer rates for Fairmont room was $379 and $429.. and now you can book rate of the day over Canada Day Long Weekend for $299 straight up. These resort fees just don't make sense to me.. but hey, if prices stay this low for summers, I'll make it a tradition for my family to go up there high season.. why go low season? These resort fees are killing some business.. so prices are pretty attractive right now.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I don't get the Springs.. the rates were way higher for the summer a month ago.. I mean the Escape to Willowstream was $599 and now $449.. Summer rates for Fairmont room was $379 and $429.. and now you can book rate of the day over Canada Day Long Weekend for $299 straight up. These resort fees just don't make sense to me.. but hey, if prices stay this low for summers, I'll make it a tradition for my family to go up there high season.. why go low season? These resort fees are killing some business.. so prices are pretty attractive right now.
You can get the "Celebrate Banff's 125th anniversary" rate for $299 per night, INCLUDING a $125 per night credit. I just booked this for mid July - the heat of busy season. A weekend too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.