Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by seandr
Hi folks, I want to share with you our experience at FAIRMONT BSH. I saved the last two nights of our first trip to canadian rockies at this hotel to make the perfect ending of the trip.

In short: we didn't get the confirmed one bedroom suite, room changed from Stanley Thompson (ST) Suite to signature room for the second night though promised a suite.

Long store:
First i want to say all staff there are nice and friendly, and the hotel was very very busy (maybe busiest time of the year).

We booked 2 nights, checked in on July 4th, checked out on 6th. Booked with CHASE FAIRMONT free night cert + suite upgrade cert, with one bedroom suite confirmed for both night back in April (as I mentioned in earlier post).

I didn't call in or check in earlier with trust of FPC this well famed hotel (in fact i never do early check in unless i want to change bed type). Upon arrival at 10pm (exhausted after whole day in Rockies), was told there is only one ST suite available (occupancy rate is 99%+, i didn't know what it means, but assumed all booked out), and promised to get us in a better suite in main building the second night, they will also deposit suite upgrade cert back. We were trying to avoid ST wings after reading some negative reviews, however this is the only option for us, so not happy but had to take it. - With all this addressed, we arrived at the room at 11:30, only to find out the key didn't work, so walked back to lobby for the other one, which didn't work either!!! Found a phone to call back and have the third set delivered to us. Finally, 2 hrs after arrival and one extra run back to lobby from ST wing, and one phone call, we got into the room at midnight, feeling really bad and not welcomed.

The second day, we come back at 6pm since we were told will be upgraded to a suite in main building that is much better than first one, though we could spend more time in room and maybe do a review. However upon enter in the room, i found it is a room with bow valley/mountain view rather than a suite, so called back to front desk and was told it is not a suite. At this moment I was really pissed. Called to talk with the on duty manager, who was friendly and feeling sorry for the situation but saying this is the last room available so there isn't really any other room they can upgrade us, however he was able to refund one free night cert back to my FPC account.

So we end up using one free night cert for 2 night stay, one in ST suite, another in main buidling with very good bow valley view, sounds very good right? However I'd rather pay much more to get the confirmed one bedroom suite and our perfect trip back. The whole trip was flawless until we arrived at BSH.

Lessons learned: Check in as early as possible and confirm the room, especially if you arrive during the high season. Lower expectations even on hotels with good reviews/top rated, anything could happen. Make sure you get the copy of confirmation clearly saying room type confirmed. And more...

To blame: myself only since i didn't check in early.
Unfortunate to hear.

Seems like downgrading suite upgrades does happen occasionally at the Banff Springs - had it happen to me earlier this year.

I'd booked a paid reservation and applied a suite upgrade at the time of booking (6+ months in advance), confirmed into a one bedroom suite with a King Bed for the two night stay.

Checked in early afternoon and was given my keys - checked out the room, only to find I'd been downgraded to a Stanley Thompson suite with two double beds, despite having specifically booked a King Bed and had a confirmed upgrade to a one bedroom suite. Basically the answer was there was nothing they could do as they were full.

Asked to be put in the nicest room they had with a King bed, and was moved back to the main building, in a typical room. They were showing rooms on the Gold floor for sale, but was told they couldn't put me on those, even though they'd downgraded me from a confirmed suite upgrade (!) Overall quite disappointing.

Hotel apologized and redeposited the suite upgrade certificate, but was quite disappointing, as it had been for a special occasion and I'd been looking forward to the suite there.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
You had a confirmed reservation, and just because you showed up a bit later doesn't excuse the hotel.
I got it this is a very popular hotel and its quite busy given its Canada Day/4th July holidays, what really piss me off is for the second night we were promised a "one of the finest suite of the hotel" which is the only reason we would want to get up very early(had a confirmed Gondola tour in the morning) and pack for room change, until we step in and find out its a guest room rather than one of the finest suite. And I have to call in to complain to get my one free night cert back (was offered to waive parking charge as another option, really!)

For a fairmont hotel with these much good reviews, its definitely a miss, way below our expectation.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gcashin
Unfortunate to hear.

Seems like downgrading suite upgrades does happen occasionally at the Banff Springs - had it happen to me earlier this year.
WOW, we thought we were the only "lucky" one. I wonder how their system decide which reservation to keep as confirmed or which to 'downgrade'.

I never got downgraded at any of my previous hotel/resort stays, even got upgraded at Fairmont Jasper Lodge to lake front suite before heading to Banff. So was definitely disappointed at this one.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Flawless

Just returned from the Banff Springs after a flawless stay with a free night and suite upgrade. Was very pleased with room 918, just below the top suite in the hotel (you take a second elevator from the 9th floor to effectively 11). Got early check in and late check out. All dining experiences were excellent as was the pool and the use of the BMW bikes! I have stayed there many times so I'd be shocked if anything negative like not honouring a confirmed room allotment happened on my stays. All staff were above and beyond and the Platinum crew kept me informed of check in timing via text as we were arriving in Banff. This hotel always impresses. Well done BSH!

PS - Booked a 4 night stay in Singapore while in Banff due to the impeccable stay.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by seandr
In short: we didn't get the confirmed one bedroom suite, room changed from Stanley Thompson (ST) Suite to signature room for the second night though promised a suite.

To blame: myself only since i didn't check in early.
I had nearly the same experience, though I did come out with a better result. Stayed there just last weekend. Confirmed a one-bedroom suite upgrade (not ST) back in April using a free night and suite upgrade cert. Checked in right at 4pm and was told we had an "excellent" suite in the ST wing. I told them we were supposed to be in the main building. Agent took a long time and had to confer with another agent to give me the last main building suite which was "being held" for another guest. During the whole time I was waiting, I also wondered if this could have been avoided if I checked in earlier.

The suite ended up being very nice, but it was on the second floor, so not great views, and right above one of the ballrooms. There was a loud wedding the second night of our stay, and we ended up having to get a second room on a higher floor to actually sleep in. (We were able to leave our stuff in the suite). Went back down to the desk the next morning and was able to receive some financial compensation, which I was satisfied with. Overall, even with the hiccups, we did enjoy our stay.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Planning a trip for end of May. I have a few questions after reading the thread...

1) Parking. Any cheaper options than the valet? I saw mention of an hourly lot near the hotel?

2) I hear at that time there will still be snow at higher elevations and muddy trails at lower elevations. Any places to hike / look around that may not be so messy or treacherous?

3) Any cheap eating options around? Convenience stores? Supermarkets? Anything in walking distance?

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Planning a trip for end of May. I have a few questions after reading the thread...

1) Parking. Any cheaper options than the valet? I saw mention of an hourly lot near the hotel?

2) I hear at that time there will still be snow at higher elevations and muddy trails at lower elevations. Any places to hike / look around that may not be so messy or treacherous?

3) Any cheap eating options around? Convenience stores? Supermarkets? Anything in walking distance?

Thanks!
1 - Yes, you can self park. I think it's $25 for self parking and $35 for valet.

2 - Yes, there will be snow at higher elevations. They don't even plow open the road to places like Moraine Lake or Takkakaw Falls until the May 24 long weekend.

Hikes around Banff in the valley will be fine. Any trails up at elevation will be snowy. Some trails, such as the Plain of Six Glaciers at Lake Louise, which traverse below taller mountains, could have avalanche risk (in addition to snow on the trail itself). Just check the Parks Canada website for the latest trail conditions. There are lots of great guidebooks on Banff National Park hiking trails, with trail descriptions and times of year they are good to hike.

3 - Banff has 2 grocery stores. It's a bit of a walk into town, and it is a nice walk along the river. But it's also an easy drive, and there is a multi-level parkade right next to the Nester's Market grocery store. If you want a simple and familiar breakfast, there's always Tim Horton's near the Brewster bus station across from the hospital and a McDonald's on Banff Avenue.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
You can also park on the street that BSH is on for free, but there is a 4 hour time limit.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
You can also park on the street that BSH is on for free, but there is a 4 hour time limit.
Even better, if you park a bit further back, it's 72 hours free parking. Was just there last weekend and noticed the closest area had a 4 hour sign, but about 50 meters further down the street the area just had a green P sign. Called the by-law department because the hotel staff weren't sure (lol) and they confirmed if there is no posted hour limit, it's 72 hours (residential zoned). There are about 10-15 spots on the street there! Was happy to save $100 that we spent instead at the spa

Also got a great suite upgrade - had initially confirmed the ST wing suite (all that was available) but when we checked in they upgraded us to a named 1 bed suite with an awesome view! ^
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
Even better, if you park a bit further back, it's 72 hours free parking. Was just there last weekend and noticed the closest area had a 4 hour sign, but about 50 meters further down the street the area just had a green P sign. Called the by-law department because the hotel staff weren't sure (lol) and they confirmed if there is no posted hour limit, it's 72 hours (residential zoned). There are about 10-15 spots on the street there! Was happy to save $100 that we spent instead at the spa

Also got a great suite upgrade - had initially confirmed the ST wing suite (all that was available) but when we checked in they upgraded us to a named 1 bed suite with an awesome view! ^
Thanks for the tip. I have never noticed this.

What named suite?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
Even better, if you park a bit further back, it's 72 hours free parking.
Yeah, thanks! Considering you can walk into town, I was about to ask if you walk into town what's the closest free parking!

Now the tip is out, those spots will always be full now and probably get 4-hr parking signs :S
Old May 31, 2018, 8:35 pm

Now that I have been there, an update on parking: The 4 hour zone is from 0800-2100 so it appears you can park overnight which is what I did with no ill effect. I moved my car by noon and didn't park again until no earlier than 5pm. I didn't notice any enforcement and there were always at least a couple spots available (late May - shoulder season).

There is a casual counter order eatery in the lobby that also has take away items. I found that to be the most affordable breakfast choice. The steak and egg sandwich and oatmeal was great. The bacon and egg sandwich not so much, very creamy and messy.

There is also a market and liquor store across the street at the convention center building.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Now that I have been there, an update on parking: The 4 hour zone is from 0800-2100 so it appears you can park overnight which is what I did with no ill effect. I moved my car by noon and didn't park again until no earlier than 5pm. I didn't notice any enforcement and there were always at least a couple spots available (late May - shoulder season).

There is a casual counter order eatery in the lobby that also has take away items. I found that to be the most affordable breakfast choice. The steak and egg sandwich and oatmeal was great. The bacon and egg sandwich not so much, very creamy and messy.

There is also a market and liquor store across the street at the convention center building.
I have seen them writing tickets on the street, even in winter months, so there is enforcement happening. As long as you stick to the posted rules, it's a good option. In downtown Banff, I've seen the parking enforcement officers reviewing computer surveillance on equipment housed in some sort of box on a side street, noting time of arrival of each car, waiting for the clock to run out.

That restaurant off the lobby opened for the summer 2017 season, so it's rather new. It's better, but slightly more expensive, than the outlet it replaced. For breakfast at BSH, we normally end up just eating in the room. The Nesters Market grocery store in town is right next to the main parkade on Bear Street, so it's convenient to pop in an grab some items on the way back from town. I don't know about all rooms, but our regular suite there has 2 small fridges, so we can keep everything we need for breakfast fresh.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:15 pm

I was surprised to see no minibar but real fridges. Then one morning every room had a new boxed minibar outside their door, so those are coming. I hope not the electronically monitored version.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:07 pm

Is oct/nov/dec (not including any holidays like thanksgiving/xmas/nye) considered low season? Does anyone know what the rates are usually around that time? I'm seeing $350 usd right now, but not sure if it's normally less or more. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.