Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Also golfed there yesterday for the VIP event. Great shape. Those sand traps killed me though.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Also golfed there yesterday for the VIP event. Great shape. Those sand traps killed me though.
Didn't know you were down this weekend otherwise we could of teed it up with a Shandy in the Clubhouse.

Currently booked this Saturday morning at 10:20 am tee time. The golf course is only opened until October 10th, 2013. I can feel the chill of snow coming in the air.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 2:21 pm

AM, quick question as I know you use this package the most. I am looking at BS in December, and I can get a normal rate for 309 a night, or the Escape package for 609 a night. Will be paying one night, and using free night cert for the other night. The wording of the Escape package is slightly confusing. If I book 1 night on escape package, do i get 2 treatments (1 per adult), or 1 treatment (1 per night)?

Thanks
Note that on the Escape to Willowstream package, the hotel has been cracking down lately on what spa treatments are included in the package.

It used to be that you could get any (60 minute long) massage on the package. Last time I was on the package, it was only the $179 massages (i.e., the most basic ones) that were eligible; if you wanted to have, say, a mountain stone massage, you had to pay the difference between the list price for the massage and $179.

All in all, I find that the package isn't as good of a deal as it once was, although it is still better than doing things individually.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Note that on the Escape to Willowstream package, the hotel has been cracking down lately on what spa treatments are included in the package.

It used to be that you could get any (60 minute long) massage on the package. Last time I was on the package, it was only the $179 massages (i.e., the most basic ones) that were eligible; if you wanted to have, say, a mountain stone massage, you had to pay the difference between the list price for the massage and $179.

All in all, I find that the package isn't as good of a deal as it once was, although it is still better than doing things individually.
This has been the case for a few years now that the relaxation massage or equivalent is what you receive. Family friends have done a facial in replacement in the past, but as long as its equal to or less than the value of a relaxation massage you're fine. Anyhow, I don't feel its that big of a deal to pay the difference for a treatment you really want. I've done the sports massage and the rocky rehydration treatment in years past, and paid the difference.. and it is worth the difference if you ask me.

The bottom line is this value is their loss leaders and gives the most amount of savings. BSH uses this package to keep their spa busy, and it is an excellent value. Basically the more you pay, the more you save. An amazing experience if you do a 5 night stay and have 6 massages between you and yours.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
This has been the case for a few years now . . . .
The first time we were made aware of the changes was last November. All of our stays before then were, essentially "get any massage that you want."

Anyhow, I don't feel its that big of a deal to pay the difference for a treatment you really want.
I'm not necessarily arguing that point.

I do, however, feel that is it a bit of a "big deal"* to advertise the following:

Package Includes:
•One night room accommodation
•Self parking
•Choice of one select Willow Stream spa treatment per adult, per night
•Gourmet breakfast daily
•Spa and Breakfast Gratuities
(Source: http://www.fairmont.com/banff-spring...willow-stream/)

and not mention in the advert that the "choice" for the spa treatment is somewhat price limited, unless you want to pay a surcharge.

What's next? For the package to include "gourmet breakfast daily" but tack on a surcharge if you want the breakfast to include an egg?

*Actually, I think that it is poor form, but the Banff Springs has never struck me as the kind of place that really cares too much about what its paying customers think, so long as its reputation remains intact.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:17 pm
Suspended

You make some good points..

I'm just used to the package offering relaxation massages or equivalents but paying for an upgrade if I want. Nice thing is that the gratuities are always included so that's a chunk of change.

We used this package probably 20+ times since it was introduced. The self parking has always baffled me, why not just offer valet? But I guess then the gratuity all inclusive would be problematic. I like the buffet breakfast included as I believe the cost is $32 pp or $29 pp.. I usually upgrade and pay the difference for Saturday and/or Sunday brunch. Makes the hit on the cost of brunch more bearable.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
When you book a package that includes a massage, how do they work out the cost on the RMT receipt for Insurance/Income Tax? Is the receipted amount for the menu price of the treatment, or is there some formula for determining how much of the package price is apportioned to the massage treatment?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
When you book a package that includes a massage, how do they work out the cost on the RMT receipt for Insurance/Income Tax? Is the receipted amount for the menu price of the treatment, or is there some formula for determining how much of the package price is apportioned to the massage treatment?
The menu cost of the spa treatment is receipted..
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
The menu cost of the spa treatment is receipted..
This is actually incorrect. I have booked this package multiple times and the massage receipt for insurance purposes is actually discounted, unfortunately, I don't remember by how much. I actually just booked this package again a few weeks ago and when speaking with the spa to book the massages, they also informed me that a discounted amount would show up on the receipt - I'm thinking it was in the $100-120 range.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:00 am

What room type when using certs?

When using certs, are those for the room types indicated Fairmont - King or Fairmont - Queen?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jt58203
When using certs, are those for the room types indicated Fairmont - King or Fairmont - Queen?
Assuming you´re referring to the free night certs, you can choose any bed configuration as long as the room is classified as a Fairmont room.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by habshabs444
This is actually incorrect. I have booked this package multiple times and the massage receipt for insurance purposes is actually discounted, unfortunately, I don't remember by how much. I actually just booked this package again a few weeks ago and when speaking with the spa to book the massages, they also informed me that a discounted amount would show up on the receipt - I'm thinking it was in the $100-120 range.
Last year the full amount was receipted. A few of my friends were getting full receipts. This must have been a recent change.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 4:05 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the Gold Floor breakfast at Banff?

What are the usual offerings? How does it compare to, say, the Gold Floor breakfast at Lake Louise*?

* Which is, typically, on a 3 day rotation. One day is pancakes with sausage and bacon, another day is creamed scrambled eggs** with bacon (or the like), and the third day is french toast and bacon (or the like). The pancakes and french toast are either paired with quiches or roasted tomatoes, I can't recall exactly. On all days, there's a lot of fruit, bread, pastries, and so on to choose from. I'm really just interested in what Banff's Gold Floor hot breakfast offerings are.

** Which I find to be horrible, by the way.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
AM - I went to Costco last night and bought the Fairmont certificates. It says it can be used for room rate only. I am a little confused - can i use this for anything on my bill (ie food and beverage), or only for the room price?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:26 pm
Suspended

AM - I went to Costco last night and bought the Fairmont certificates. It says it can be used for room rate only. I am a little confused - can i use this for anything on my bill (ie food and beverage), or only for the room price?
Rooms and packages. They redeemed 3 per night without checking on the rate and credited the room. Some of the nights were below the $300 threshold. No problem, they'll take the certificates 3 per night and offset any room charges. But they won't take more than 3 certificates per night as I've tried.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.