Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Fairmont, SPG, AA, WN
When I booked online I was offered a pretty good deal to upgrade from a Fairmont Suite to a Oceanfront for only $85/nt. Going back into my reservation I cant see this offer any longer. Is there a way to get this offer to appear again?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hyatt
I'm guessing there is no way to use a Fairmont suite upgrade or Virtuoso upgrade (or combination of both) to go from a Deluxe ocean view suite to Kilohana Signature suite? Likewise with booking the Kilohana Suite to upgrade into a two bedroom oceanview villa?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Coming up on our third stay and once again it looks like no available upgrades. Booked into partial OV and hotel is sold out. A little discouraged as so far with 3 years of elite at Fairmont we've not been able to use a single cert (except dining)
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Coming up on our third stay and once again it looks like no available upgrades. Booked into partial OV and hotel is sold out. A little discouraged as so far with 3 years of elite at Fairmont we've not been able to use a single cert (except dining)
Not been able to use a single cert anywhere?

Or just this property?

Do you mind sharing (approximate) the dates of your last 3 stays? If hotel is sold out, must be a fairly high demand period?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

July in Banff, Jan in Hawaii at Kea Lani and Orchid is where we've tried to use them. Husband has had a few one night business stays in Toronto, Vancouver where he did not attempt to use.

And no, never been able to upgrade, ever. I think this was third year at Premier, did not renew for 2016, so I guess we are now at the point where he will just try to stay at Marriott or Hilton when he can and give up on trying to maintain status at Fairmont.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:50 am

July in Banff, Jan in Hawaii at Kea Lani and Orchid is where we've tried to use them. Husband has had a few one night business stays in Toronto, Vancouver where he did not attempt to use.

And no, never been able to upgrade, ever. I think this was third year at Premier, did not renew for 2016, so I guess we are now at the point where he will just try to stay at Marriott or Hilton when he can and give up on trying to maintain status at Fairmont.
Bummer...

I guess if that was all I wanted from a program, and I did not receive it, then I would stop going there as well.

I am one for one in Hawaii - at the Orchid late January (this month). However, I booked a high category room so when I applied the room upgrade certificate, we were upgraded to an Ocean Front.

I posted it somewhere else, but I believe the difference in price between the rooms was $200/night, so I felt I got good value from the certificate.

The Gold Floor upgrades (from the credit card) have provided me even more value over the past 3 years...

The continuing problem with Fairmont is their small footprint, so for me it will always be a secondary program.

And now they are getting acquired by Accor... Who knows?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat

Understand your frustration, but keep in mind July at Banff is very peak season.

I cannot speak to Hawaii, but imagine it is not the lowest of seasons there.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well they ended up upgrading to full ov on arrival, so yeah!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:41 pm

Well they ended up upgrading to full ov on arrival, so yeah!
Right on! Enjoy the rest of your trip. On both my visits I got a nice upgrade being a platinum, DOV and OV.

Great place to use the locally authentic dinner as well for those plats who picked that option.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:46 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I completed a 3 night stay here in January 2016. I have posted a trip report of my experiences here

This was a fantastic stay and frankly a better experience that we have had at comparable St Regis properties. Thanks probably to Fairmont Premier Status, we received a double category upgrade from Mountain View to Partial Ocean view villa. All in all an excellent stay and we'd easily return.

In line with others in the thread, we booked the Outrigger experience on arrival and we were able to get seats on separate canoes with about a 3 day wait. We didn't attend for cancelled spots but it was a fun experience and worth the effort of waiting for it.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AS,UA
I really did enjoy this resort, its great for families. One of the coolest things I experienced during our stay was pitcher Cole Hamels was staying at the property and every morning in front of his oceanfront Villa he would set up a pitcher backstop and throw a bucket of balls to the backstop. I should have asked him if i could catch or retrieve the balls for him.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:22 pm

I have a garden view suite booked at the Kea Lani in October but have recently read several poor reviews about similar rooms having a feeling of being in a basement, very dark and damp. Has anyone stayed in a garden view suite, and is it really that bad?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:21 pm

I read above that only if mountainside is available can we book the two free nights. Is that correct? I see a Fairmont Suite for $579 and a Mountainside Suite for $629 and Garden View Suite for $699. Those are the three cheapest. Just confirming which one would I need available in order to call and use my two free nights? Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Perhaps a dumb question, but is there a particular reason why the Fairmont website sometimes restricts booking of 5 night stays @ the Kea Lani?

I previously could have booked there (but booked with David Ourisman instead). I went back today to see what kind of availability there was for a better suite during our stay, given the 20% "discount" by buying gift cards.

When I searched for a 5 night stay, no availability. 4 night or fewer stays were available for all nights during the booking period.

It doesn't make sense to me - they could easily just limit rates, but why make it unbookable altogether?

Thanks,
Greg
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:09 pm

Has anyone had recent experience combining Fairmont certificates with Citi's 4th night free? I have 1 free night, a suite upgrade and a 3rd night free cert that I would like to use with the 4th night free.

It sounds like I'm stuck in the Mountainview with the free night cert but wondering if I could persuade a phone agent to into the garden room upgrade to partial ocean view?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.