Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: AA PLAT FPC PLAT
Thanks anyone have first hand experience?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MLM JET
Not with the partial ocean view, but I would value a higher room floor more than a specific suite.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MLM JET
Depending how it shakes.. I booked a Partial Ocean View with an upgrade at check-in to Ocean View. I rather have the Ocean View, and hope I don't get the first hand experience in the Partial Ocean View.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:25 pm

Exclamation As an FYI....

Thanks for all the help this site offers.

I'm currently booked at the Fairmont Kea Lani in June for 6 nights. Back in January I booked my reservation through the FKL website and booked with the 5th night free package...

Until tonight I thought my package price was good, however, i went back to the website tonight and noticed that there is now a 30% off promotion going on. This allowed me to upgrade my room from that of a Partial Ocean View which hovered around 3500 to an Ocean View Room for no additional cost (45 bucks difference). I could have opted to cancel my initial reservation and booked the same room for hundreds less....

So to anyone who has booked a trip already... @:-)@:-)@:-)... keep checking the websites because a better deal may come along. My hope now is that with my Oceanview room booked... that they will afford my fiance' and I an upgrade (as it is our honeymoon) so that we end up in a Oceanfront Suite....Speaking to the woman on the phone in Customer Service/Reservations she made it sound like that such an upgrade would be highly likely but to temper my expectations just incase they were booked out when I arrived.

Anyway, wanted to share that the 30% off promotion is currently available .

~BIG
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by P_Investor
Heading to this property later this week. It will be our first visit to this property, second visit to Maui. We arrive mid afternoon, so figure that making a dinner reservation for first night would be a good plan. Any recommendations welcome.
P_Investor...
I've racked my brain online doing searches for food in Maui that has the best reviews and track record. Some that I've come across (and of course they depend on your taste buds and budget):

-Pizza Madness
-Nick's Fish-market
-Mama's Fish House
-Ferraro's
-Dukes
-Monkey Pod
-Eskimo Candy
-Spago
-Pita Paradise
-Capische? (Hotel Wailea)

Any feedback on any of the above would be appreciated as I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting my time. As a side note, I booked Feast at LeLe for our one night Luau.. as I've been told its more sit down dinner and offers various options which are more appealing to the vegetarian diner.

Thanks everyone,
BIG
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by bigpictureboss
My hope now is that with my Oceanview room booked... that they will afford my fiance' and I an upgrade (as it is our honeymoon) so that we end up in a Oceanfront Suite....Speaking to the woman on the phone in Customer Service/Reservations she made it sound like that such an upgrade would be highly likely but to temper my expectations just incase they were booked out when I arrived.
IIRC the Oceanfront units are the 2BR/3BR Villas. That's a VERY lofty expectation. A Deluxe Ocean View and the Kilohana Signature are more realistic upgrades, where you'll get a little bit better view, french doors, and slightly larger balcony.

As for the restaurants, Monkeypod has undeniably the most creative cocktails on the island, great happy hour, huge beer selection. They are big on local ingredients.

Last edited by tjbrooks; Mar 5, 2012 at 5:34 am
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
IIRC the Oceanfront units are the 2BR/3BR Villas. That's a VERY lofty expectation. A Deluxe Ocean View and the Kilohana Signature are more realistic upgrades, where you'll get a little bit better view, french doors, and slightly larger balcony.

As for the restaurants, Monkeypod has undeniably the most creative cocktails on the island, great happy hour, huge beer selection. They are big on local ingredients.
+1 I really wouldn't get my hopes up for an Oceanfront unit.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:46 am

P_Investor...
I've racked my brain online doing searches for food in Maui that has the best reviews and track record. Some that I've come across (and of course they depend on your taste buds and budget):

-Pizza Madness
-Nick's Fish-market
-Mama's Fish House
-Ferraro's
-Dukes
-Monkey Pod
-Eskimo Candy
-Spago
-Pita Paradise
-Capische? (Hotel Wailea)

Any feedback on any of the above would be appreciated as I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting my time. As a side note, I booked Feast at LeLe for our one night Luau.. as I've been told its more sit down dinner and offers various options which are more appealing to the vegetarian diner.

Thanks everyone,
BIG
That's a pretty wide net of eateries. It really depends on what you're looking for. Mama's Fish House is consistently one of the must-eat locations in Maui (it's also a good 45 min to an hour away) while Pita Paradise is nice for a low-key, quick dinner (it's only 5 mins away).

I recommend checking out this thread for advice on food.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...ts-thread.html
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks for all the help this site offers.

I'm currently booked at the Fairmont Kea Lani in June for 6 nights. Back in January I booked my reservation through the FKL website and booked with the 5th night free package...

Until tonight I thought my package price was good, however, i went back to the website tonight and noticed that there is now a 30% off promotion going on. This allowed me to upgrade my room from that of a Partial Ocean View which hovered around 3500 to an Ocean View Room for no additional cost (45 bucks difference). I could have opted to cancel my initial reservation and booked the same room for hundreds less....

So to anyone who has booked a trip already... @:-)@:-)@:-)... keep checking the websites because a better deal may come along. My hope now is that with my Oceanview room booked... that they will afford my fiance' and I an upgrade (as it is our honeymoon) so that we end up in a Oceanfront Suite....Speaking to the woman on the phone in Customer Service/Reservations she made it sound like that such an upgrade would be highly likely but to temper my expectations just incase they were booked out when I arrived.

Anyway, wanted to share that the 30% off promotion is currently available .

~BIG
Originally Posted by tjbrooks

Originally Posted by RewardTraveler
+1 I really wouldn't get my hopes up for an Oceanfront unit.
Over the years, the upgrade to villas are very rare.. never happened to me.. We're talking about $2,500 per night to $3,000 for a two or three bedroom oceanfront villa respectively.

Realistically, the upgrade will be nice to a Deluxe Ocean View or a signature kilohana suite which is 1,100 sq ft.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:57 pm

sorry for lack of clarity

Sorry for any confusion I may have created in my last post.

I mistakenly stated that I was hoping for an Oceanfront Suite from that of my Ocean-view suite which I have reservations for now. In that I am planning my first trip to Hawaii and have four different hotels involved I allowed my brain to short circuit. What I was looking to say based on the accommodations available at the FKL is that I hope to be upgraded to a Deluxe Ocean-View Suite. Hopefully such an upgrade is possible, after all I've heard great things about telling them that its your honeymoon... A Signature Kilohana would be more than amazing if they extended such an upgrade.

I really just wanted to express that the 30% discount was once again available because when I had first joined the group it was not but others had referenced such deals.

Thanks to all those posters with great insight here!
You have all been very helpful.

Kindest regards,
BIG
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Sorry for any confusion I may have created in my last post.

I mistakenly stated that I was hoping for an Oceanfront Suite from that of my Ocean-view suite which I have reservations for now. In that I am planning my first trip to Hawaii and have four different hotels involved I allowed my brain to short circuit. What I was looking to say based on the accommodations available at the FKL is that I hope to be upgraded to a Deluxe Ocean-View Suite. Hopefully such an upgrade is possible, after all I've heard great things about telling them that its your honeymoon... A Signature Kilohana would be more than amazing if they extended such an upgrade.

I really just wanted to express that the 30% discount was once again available because when I had first joined the group it was not but others had referenced such deals.

Thanks to all those posters with great insight here!
You have all been very helpful.

Kindest regards,
BIG
Hey, we can all dream big, can't we?

I've never personally received the Signature Kilohana, but it certainly isn't unheard of.. just extremely rare.

And its never been unheard of, as I've read on trip advisor, an instance or two, when an upgrade does occur to a villa.

Definitely make note on your reservation that you will be on your honeymoon. Didn't get me an upgrade staying at a Fairmont on my wedding night, but definitely there is cause for celebration, and hopefully an upgrade.. Congratulations.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:55 pm

Well after golfing with Ancien quite a few times over the years and always hearing about the Kea Lani I finally made the trek.

I really didn't read up too much about Maui before my visit so it was a nice surprise as you enter Wailea things just smell and look better.

We had Deluxe Ocean view room I think 306 which I think is a great location. Just over the top pool but as close to the ocean as the suites can really get.

View was excellent and nothing in the way. Since the rooms is near the end of the hotel I would just take the stairs to head to the beach and pool which was fast and easy.

My SO and I both had the local food passion and it was Maui raised Ribeye along with a local catch. This entree was huge, pretty much what you would get at most places if you order two. It was excellent along with the springrolls appy and our bottle of bubbles and chambord.

The new KO should be opening March 15th and if you are there before perhaps you can get a sneak peek on one of their soft openings.

I did get to use my free round of golf at Wailea but this wasn't easy and I'm pretty sure they will adjust the T&Cs very soon about this one.

Outrigger canoe experience was unreal with Whales very close to us and a nice complimentary tour by the hotel. I saw so many whales from the balcony I stopped even looking up after hearing the splashes and blowholes.

Overall the Kea Lani (White heaven in Hawaiian) was a great hotel especially if you have a family since the suites are very well setup imho.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Maui raised Ribeye.. sounds great.. I love Ribeye, its my favorite steak, so I'll be pushing to try Ko now, even if I keep the local food experience passions for another trek.

Real Estate in Wailea is 3 times that in Kaanapali. Shadowed by Haleakala, the weather is the nicest in all of Maui.. and the most spectacular location in all of the islands. The whales dance off of the sparkling water off the coast of Wailea overlooking one of the wonders of the world - Molokini.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kokinos
Outrigger canoe experience was unreal with Whales very close to us and a nice complimentary tour by the hotel.
I agree and usually do it 2 or 3 times whenever I'm at the Kea Lani. The concierges used to advise people that although the experience is free, it is nice to tip around $5 per person. They didn't say that last time, but I still usually give a tip of $10-20 total for my wife and I.

I've gotten to know the guy who runs the canoe experience. He goes by the Hawaiian name Ula Ula during the experience, but his real name is Chris. He's the guy with the red hair. Anyhow, if you do it more than once while you stay there, he'll take the canoe to different locations each time for you.

Another thing about Chris is that he is a guide for Hike Maui when not at the Kea Lani. He's a good guide. If you are interested in hiking, talk to Chris and make arrangements directly with him instead of going through Hike Maui. He's a pretty laid back guy and if he has time he'll agree to take you out as long as you let him bring his dog along. He won't give you a price, but will say that there's no charge and if you enjoy it just give him whatever you want. Beware that the hiking can be quite rigorous, but the waterfalls and other things you'll see are magnificent.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ac/elite
I agree and usually do it 2 or 3 times whenever I'm at the Kea Lani. The concierges used to advise people that although the experience is free, it is nice to tip around $5 per person. They didn't say that last time, but I still usually give a tip of $10-20 total for my wife and I.

I've gotten to know the guy who runs the canoe experience. He goes by the Hawaiian name Ula Ula during the experience, but his real name is Chris. He's the guy with the red hair. Anyhow, if you do it more than once while you stay there, he'll take the canoe to different locations each time for you.

Another thing about Chris is that he is a guide for Hike Maui when not at the Kea Lani. He's a good guide. If you are interested in hiking, talk to Chris and make arrangements directly with him instead of going through Hike Maui. He's a pretty laid back guy and if he has time he'll agree to take you out as long as you let him bring his dog along. He won't give you a price, but will say that there's no charge and if you enjoy it just give him whatever you want. Beware that the hiking can be quite rigorous, but the waterfalls and other things you'll see are magnificent.
We've done the outrigger canoe experience as well when it was no charge.. I thought for a few years Kea Lani started charging for the experience. But, if its complimentary now again, then that's great news.

I agree to definitely tip for the experience. Typically, I believe $20 minimum would be appropriate. IIRC we were out there for a good half an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.