Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Advice for using certs in winter - 2 yr old and grandparents

Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Having trouble deciding where to go. We'll have 2 rooms, party of 5, with one turning three years old on the trip, Travelling in Jan/Feb, and both sets of adults have 2 sets of 4 night certs, so up to 8 nights (or we can do 4 and 4)...would be flying out of ORD

Beach is good, but up for anything as long as it won't cost a fortune to eat/is semi kid friendly...I think Bermuda looks to cold for Jan....we could always use 4 nights at plaza if we could get in around xmas, but wondering if anybody has some insight into a good match /exciting trip for a toddler, the parents, and a set of grandparents! Open to anything! Thanks-

Last edited by hook13; Jul 23, 2017 at 7:32 pm
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Two places we love:

Fairmont Orchid (Hawaii)
Fairmont Mayakoba

The Orchid has a great beach that our 2 year old enjoyed very much. It is in a lagoon, so there are literally no waves. The cons, well, it is Hawaii and everything is expensive. Food is very pricey, but on the upside, the 2.5 year old eats free. Staff is very nice and there are a ton of families here. Our babe got her own special bead lei at check in, along with a stuffed turtle from the front desk and of course, the nice Fairmont kid toiletry kit.

Mayakoba is a beautiful, family-friendly property as well. There are 4 pools along with the beach of course. The waves are a little big there for a 2 year old though. Mayakoba also offers an all-inclusive option that can be booked or added on (if you are using certs, you'd have to add it on later). Then you don't pay for any food or drink the whole time, so at least you know exactly what you are spending. The add-on price I think is $175/night for adults but the food isn't cheap here either, so easy to spend that much. (you get bills to sign so you see what you would have paid) For this property, IMO, there was no need to leave the grounds at all!

Finally, we haven't been, but in terms of bang for your certificate buck , the Kea Lani on Maui is all suites. Some day we will try it but have loved the Big Island so much, we haven't ventured over there to stay.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
The use of free night certs is severely capacity-controlled at the Plaza, so it's very unlikely you'll be able to use your free night certs there.

If you want to experience a warm resort, your best options are:

- Fairmont Mayakoba
- Fairmont Orchid
- Fairmont Kea Lani (all-suite property)
- Fairmont Royal Pavillon Barbados

As you may expect, food and drinks at most resorts is rather pricey, which is why I reallylike Caffe Ciao at the Fairmont Kea Lani which offers very reasonably priced sandwiches, salads, breakfasts, a few dinner options, snacks, desserts, full bottles of wine, other drinks etc.

Otherwise the Fairmont Scottsdale and the various Fairmont hotels in California may be worth considering.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Otherwise the Fairmont Scottsdale and the various Fairmont hotels in California may be worth considering.
Even though Fairmont Scottsdale Princess may not be the best use of certs in terms of value, we did enjoy it around Xmas two years ago. "Christmas at Princess" theme were great. Weather was not very warn but pools were definitely swim-able.

May going back this winter again since flights are short and much cheaper for us compare to other warm places.

ps. We booked room with breakfast for two nights + 3rd night free + two chase free nights and end up with 5 free breakfast. Not sure if it's normal but saved us a lot.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, will start researching all of those- We've been to Hawaii, and just aren't sure if we want to go back or not...but haven't been to maui (have relatives there too)...thought about 4 days in san fran, then flying on to hawaii for 4-5 nights as an option....seems more reasonable than going to the safari club, which looks awesome-
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by hook13
seems more reasonable than going to the safari club, which looks awesome-
If you're referring to the Masai Mara Safari Club: I've only received good feedback from my clients, however using a free night cert there is a rather terrible deal since the free night cert only covers accommodation.

You'll therefore need to pay for the meals (~$70USD/person/day) and the game drives (~$60USD/person/drive), plus the manadatory service fee, taxes and conservation fee. So despite using a free night cert, you'd end up paying >$600USD/day (assuming 2 adults).

Last edited by Jasper2009; Jul 23, 2017 at 7:44 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
If you're referring to the Masai Mara Safari Club: I've only received good feedback from my clients, however using a free night cert there is a rather terrible deal since the free night cert only covers accommodation.

You'll therefore need to pay for the meals (~$70USD/person/day) and the game drives (~$60USD/person/drive), plus the manadatory service fee, taxes and conservation fee. So despite using a free night cert, you'd end up paying >$600USD/day (assuming 2 adults).
Thanks for that info, was actually really curious about that resort- Leaning towards HI at this point, maybe splitting 4/4 between islands....if there are any other suggestions would love to hear!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.