Wiki Posts
Search

Banff, Lake Louise, or both?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold

Received my 2 free complimentary night certificates, as well as the suite upgrade and room upgrade. We are planning a trip in August and trying to determine whether to stay at Banff one night then Lake Louise the next night, or just stay at one of the hotels both nights, and which upgrade (room or suite) to use at each. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I would just stay in Lake Louise both nights as August is the best time to enjoy the sights... Make sure you walk to the other side of the lake.

It is a very short driving commute to Banff from Lake Louise, but in all honesty not much to see inside Banff and the Fairmont there is not up to par with Lake Louise IMO. If you have a car, drive out to Emerald Lake if you can, beautiful in August and an excellent trail.

I believe the upgrades go Mountainside- Junior mountainside suite, 1bedroom if Junior not available.

Lakeside - Junior lakeside suite.

Definitely get the lakeside, some amazing views to wake up to in the morning.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Lake Louise is the most photographed spot on Earth for a reason! So yeah, you gotta spend at least 1 night there. But I wouldn't discount the Banff Springs so quickly. I stayed there 2 summers ago and have regularly been there prior to that too. It is magnificent, and especially if you've never been is definitely worth a night. Hey, if it was good enough for Joltin' Joe and Marilyn, it'll probably be good enough for you too!

Plus, it's only a half hour drive b/w hotels. And the breakfast at the Springs is over the top good!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Are you saying you only have 2 nights to spend in the Banff/Lake Louise area in total, or do you have more time and are just asking where to spend your free night certs in addition to some additional days?

To stay just one night at each place you are going to feel rushed. If you have only 2 days total, spend them all at one hotel to avoid the check-in/out and packing/unpacking each day.

I just finished 3 nights at the Springs in an upgraded river view room (used room upgrade) and 2 nights at the CLL in a Lakeview Junior Suite (used Suite Upgrade and Free Night certs). I think I liked the CLL best. On the other hand, my wife preferred the Springs. The Willow Stream Spa at BSH is great. I found the general repair condition of the CLL to be better than Banff.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, we will only have 2 nights to spend at these hotels. We are leaning toward staying 1 night at each hotel because we have heard great things about each, and have activities we want to do close to each one (whitewater rafting near LL, and the springs near Banff). We also considered the amount of time it takes for checking in/out, packing/unpacking, parking, etc, but we are pretty 'efficient' travelers so we don't think the time lost will be very significant. I'll update with our room info once we make our reservations. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
We did both. One night each when we did the weekend trip a few years ago.

One night would be just fine. I would get bored if I were to spend more than one night at each property.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I disagree on LL. There are a bunch of interesting restaurants in the hotel, walks, the pools, gift shops, Emerald Lake, driving along the secondary roads to see elk and bear, driving up the ski mountain to see the long horned sheep, driving farther toward Jasper and the glaciers, plus just enjoying the history of this iconic property.

I'm not so impressed by Banff, either the hotel or the village beyond the novelty of elk in town, unless you want to play golf with elk on the course, which might be an argument for a second day there.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:20 pm

Smile Banff or Lake Louise?

Really? why waste your valuable 2 days switching hotels. Stay both days in one or the other and drive(only 1/2 hour max.)Depends what you want to do. Banff has a town site with lots of restaurants, shopping,beautiful mountain scenery/activities and touristy stuff. Lake Louise is basically the Chateau, mountain scenery/activities and touristy stuff . In the time it takes you to pack, unpack and get things organized.....you could have had a heli -tour/hike! the Canadian Rockies are magnificent...where ever you are standing! Drive a little farther east(15 minutes) and check out Canmore...equally as beautiful and less touristy.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:31 pm

I haven't stayed at LL, but visited it while staying in Banff. I would do it that way again -- stay in Banff 2 nights and drive to LL and back.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Sorry for not answering the question, but for a 2 days stay, especially in the busy season (August) I would maybe consider the Jasper lodge...
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
LL standard rooms tend to be small and identical. The only nice feature is the view. Also, the hotel tends to get big tour groups, although IME not as bad as Quebec City.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Amex Platinum
Whichever you choose; Banff, LL or Jasper you can't go wrong. We stayed 6 nights at LL a few years back and loved it. It was amazing to see the view of lake and mountain at dawn and how it changed during the day.Just drove to Banff a couple of times.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Diamond
I don't want to hijack the thread but any thoughts on what time of the year to go to this area?

I've wanted to get out to the Canadian Rockies but can't decide between winter with snow and the summer time. We have a two year old and don't ski if that matters. We were planning on a week total.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:49 am
Original Poster

bikes?

Does anyone know if the BMW bikes are available at either (or both) the Banff Springs or Lake Louise? TIA
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Banff vs. Lake Louise

Whatever you choose, I think you'll have a great time.

I just PM'd you with a link that might be helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.