Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Banff, Lake Louise, or both?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I disagree on LL. There are a bunch of interesting restaurants in the hotel, walks, the pools, gift shops, Emerald Lake, driving along the secondary roads to see elk and bear, driving up the ski mountain to see the long horned sheep, driving farther toward Jasper and the glaciers, plus just enjoying the history of this iconic property.

I'm not so impressed by Banff, either the hotel or the village beyond the novelty of elk in town, unless you want to play golf with elk on the course, which might be an argument for a second day there.
I'd agree with most of this.

Lake Louise is very nice (although I've only stayed on the Gold Floor), and the lakeviews can't be beat. There are plenty of hikes to do in and around the hotel (from just walking around the lake to doing one or both of the tea house treks, or even going more farther afield), and in nearby Yoho National Park. The hotel is more modern in feel, and while it does have its share of tour groups rambling around, it doesn't seem as higgly-piggly as Banff Springs does.

Banff is not my kind of place. It is far too touristy (the city, in particular), and the only reason I go to the hotel is for the spa treatments. If I can't get a good price on an Escape to Willow Stream spa package, then I don't visit the hotel. The rooms can be tiny, grandmother-ish, and odd. I'm never entirely sure what kind of room I'll be placed in when I arrive, or if I'll like it. Plus, the hotel just *feels* too far from town and hiking opportunities (although it isn't really), and I can't but feel like a walking cash register everywhere I go in Banff.

If you stay in Lake Louise and the hotel's eating offerings don't appeal, go into town (such as it is) and consider eating at either the Post Hotel or at Bill Peyto's in the hostel.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I will second Bill Peyto's for affordable and tasty food. If the spa or the pool are not key for you then stay at Lake Louise for 2 nights as this is a more Rockies experience. Even a LL and Jasper split would be good if you wanted to do the Icefields Parkway, a spectacular trip with stops along the way incl the Columbia Icefields.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bobofoosh
I don't want to hijack the thread but any thoughts on what time of the year to go to this area?

I've wanted to get out to the Canadian Rockies but can't decide between winter with snow and the summer time. We have a two year old and don't ski if that matters. We were planning on a week total.
If you don't ski I would vote going in either mid May or September/October and avoid the peak tourist season.

I'd almost lean towards September/October, weather is still good, all the seasonal roads are still open, still a good amount of light. It will be less busy, but they'll still be plenty of people around.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by will5404
If you don't ski I would vote going in either mid May or September/October and avoid the peak tourist season.

I'd almost lean towards September/October, weather is still good, all the seasonal roads are still open, still a good amount of light. It will be less busy, but they'll still be plenty of people around.
Banff, maybe, but I'm not sure I would want to go to LL in May. Lake Louise will still be frozen then, so you won't get the nice view of the blue lake, nor will you be able to go out canoeing on it. Most of the higher hiking trails will still be snowcovered (I ran into some higher up impassable trails due to snow just recently in late June), and on many of the trails closer to lake level, the snow might be gone, but I'd bet they'll still be snowy sections with the rest of the trails muddy from the snow melt and spring rains.

But you won't have to worry about the crowds and the hotel prices should be good.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold
Smile

Since spas and shopping are low on our priority list, and being outdoors is more important to us, we decided to make reservations at Lake Louise for both nights. I was also able to use the room upgrade to get a lakeview room! We will probably spend an afternoon/evening in Banff to do a short hike and maybe go to the hot springs. Any other recommendations for things to do or places to eat (lunch or dinner) around Lake Louise or Banff is greatly appreciated! Thanks for all your input!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just a note of warning re rooms at the Chateau....they are tiny, I think some descriptions are of a broom closet (160 sq feet). This is one hotel where a suite upgrade is worth it! Save your hikes for LL area. I would recommend having lunch at the Springs just so you get to have a taste of that hotel. In summer the patio overlooking the Bow Valley is a nice spot. I had a decent meal at the Bison but that was about 2 years ago now so it may have changed. Get out on the trails near LL early so you beat the day trippers as it can get busy. Helen Lake is a nice hike as well about 20 mins north on the Icelields Parkway, lots of wildflowers and Marmots (like Marmot overload). Do enjoy! Will be around there tomorrow night
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Perfect thread!

I was thinking of starting a thread like this! We will have a total of 5 nights to spend in both properties (4 from the Visa card and 1 from my lifetime Platinum status). I was originally thinking to do 2 at BF and 2 at Chateau. I still think I will keep it as is but... I am kind of leaning towards doing 1 and 4 after reading the thread!

We are not into skiing so I thought early April may be a good time to go...but it may be way too early after reading the posts here! With two kids in school it makes it very tough to get away and it appears August may be way too crowded. Hmm, decisions decisions

Do you make the reservations before you get the two night certs from Chase and then call back to inform them that they will be free nights? I wonder what are the proper "logistics" to make sure you get the rooms you want (and maximize the suite or room upgrade certs).

For my wife's two free nights (gets Premier) I wonder if I could apply my own suite cert for her reservation?

Looks like we may be getting to Calgrary late at night...Any recommended decent local hotels to stay in before waking up to go get a rental car and make the way to the Fairmont hotels?

Any super bargains on award tickets to Calgary (live in Detroit but could fly out of Chicago...maybe spend a full day there and a night at the Radisson Blu with the boatload of Club Carlson points we now have?).

I thank the original poster and everyone for their thoughts!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Do you make the reservations before you get the two night certs from Chase and then call back to inform them that they will be free nights? I wonder what are the proper "logistics" to make sure you get the rooms you want (and maximize the suite or room upgrade certs).

For my wife's two free nights (gets Premier) I wonder if I could apply my own suite cert for her reservation?
At least with the regular Premier/Platinum free night certs you can first make the res and later call FPC to apply free night / upgrade certs, the process shouldn´t be any different when using the Chase free night certs.

And yes, you can use free night certs and upgrade certs during the same stay.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:25 pm

We are not into skiing so I thought early April may be a good time to go...but it may be way too early after reading the posts here! With two kids in school it makes it very tough to get away and it appears August may be way too crowded. Hmm, decisions decisions
If you're not into skiing, then I don't understand why you're considering early April? Skiing at Lake Louise runs until mid-May, and Lake Louise itself is still frozen until early June! I was just there 2 weeks ago, and Lake Agnes was still frozen and the higher elevation hiking trails still had waist-deep snow in places.

No doubt it will be more crowded in August, but the weather will be better. What's more important to you? Avoiding the crowds, or avoiding the snow and ice? Only you can decide.

If you are there during busy season, the hotel and the surrounding grounds will be crowded. However, many of the tourists that flood off of the buses just walk up to the lake to take a thousand photos from six dozen different angles, have lunch in the hotel, and then get right back on the bus. Some of them walk the trail around the lakeshore. But, if you go out and do some of the real hikes in the area, it won't be nearly as crowded. I took the trail out to the Plain of Six Glaciers and then back along the highline trail toward the Big Beehive a couple of weeks ago. For about 90+ minutes during my climb to the Big Beehive, I didn't see or hear a single person, and was worried I was lost on the wrong trail because it was so empty of people. Yet down at the lake level, it was a very happening place!

So, to avoid crowds, get out early and take the farther trails.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>If you're not into skiing, then I don't understand why you're considering early April?

It is all about the kids' school breaks

Ok, scratch April, thank you!

I am targeting a week or two off before school starts in late August 2013 then...Which may cause a problem with the two free night certs having 12 month expiration date. I therefore need to slow down on my $1k spending until early September.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:01 pm

Looks like we may be getting to Calgrary late at night...Any recommended decent local hotels to stay in before waking up to go get a rental car and make the way to the Fairmont hotels?
In downtown, the Sheraton Eau Claire has a good location (right by the river pathways and river itself). Rooms are pleasant; bathrooms are small.

There's also a Hyatt, right on the LRT line, which gets good reviews. Never stayed there myself, but the public areas seem decent enough.

There's also a Westin in downtown, which seems geared towards the conference crowd and is marginally easier to get to than the Sheraton simply because of red-light timings.

Lastly, there is the Fairmont Palliser, which was good enough for Will and Kate, but I suspect that they get slightly better treatment than you or I would.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stay at the Delta airport (walk to check in) and rent a car in the am. Who wants to navigate the city when you are tired and parking costs downtown. Alternatively pick another airport option like the Hilton Garden Inn.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:05 pm

As convenient as the airport is, I find that the premiums charged at YYC for airport car rentals are excessive. On a recent 10-day rental from Hertz, I saved $250 by picking up at a downtown location. I was able to drop it off at the airport for the same price, but picking up at YYC would have jacked the price to almost double.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take the $8 direct bus to downtown and get a car there in the morning or perhaps a location near the airport.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:32 pm

Fantastic suggestions,thank you!

Is Calgary a city I should be thinking of staying more than one night in late August? To get a good feel for it is a full day or two spent there recommended?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.