Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Fairmont EStandby "Unique Upgrade Opportunity" at time of reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,

Just made a few winter bookings at CLL and BSH, and both times I saw the pop-up state:

Unique upgrade opportunity. Click Here.

You then click through, and have the option of paying for a "standby" upgrade, if available at time of checkin.

Lake Louise only offered Early Check in and Late Check Out for $39 dollars. Not surprised, they are very stingy with their suites.

However, Banff Springs offered numerous upgrades, up to a Gold King Deluxe for $99 a night, which is a pretty good deal considering you get breakfast and hor dervs.

Anyways, interesting concept. As a Platinum it doesn't really affect or bother me, because I usually confirm my upgrades well before check-in.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Very interesting!

As long as the additional upgrades / early check-in etc. doesn´t interfere with the delivery of Platinum benefits, I don´t really care too much.

It may be that the occasional upgrade without using a cert may get rarer, but FTers seem to have very different experiences with that anyway.

The upgrades to Gold rooms sound particular interesting, maybe Fairmont could make that a regular Platinum benefit "Gold lounge access for Platinum members only $99". Ok, back to reality.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Fairmont is just following the practice of other hotel chains.

This should not affect the Platinum member benefits too much because even as a platinum member, you will get what you paid for, and not the best room available at time of check-in, like other major chains.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Fairmont is just following the practice of other hotel chains.

This should not affect the Platinum member benefits too much because even as a platinum member, you will get what you paid for, and not the best room available at time of check-in, like other major chains.
Fully agree, confirmed upgrades are a great benefit and pretty much the main reason why I´m quite loyal to FPC.

I was more thinking about:

- Plats getting fewer upgrades at check-in (either a courtesy upgrade or a better upgrade when using a cert)
- this additional revenue stream may be an incentive to further cut back the eligible suite upgrades (some hotels already only offer 500 sq. ft. "junior suites" which I find somewhat disturbing, I don´t expect a confirmed upgrade to a penthouse suite, but a one-bedroom suite wouldn´t be over the top IMO)
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I agree the one negative could be fewer courtesy upgrades at check-in, but I am generally using a suite or room upgrade cert anyways.

If you are interested, make a reservation and you will see the options. You can always just cancel it after.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The AMEX Plat program is more of a negative to regular platinums than this promo IMHO. This feature has been around for awhile.. I saw it at a few hotels, playing around with the system and checking prices. If there is something that hits my funny bone, I wouldn't be afraid using the service. For now, I rely on pre-planning nowadays, more than ever before.. getting the guaranteed upgrade, and not expect anything more especially out of the Hawaii properties, who seem to be geared towards competing for Four Season/Other Chain customers, and treating the AMEX Plat program members like gold.. Treating their loyal FPC members run of the mill. Used to it now..^
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Hyatt has had these for a while. I used the standby upgrade to get into Regency Club at the Scottsdale resort as it also came with spa access It was a good value but I would not do this on all stays.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Booked Family Day Long Weekend at BSH and saw the e standby.. didn't bother to click.. Got the upgrade to one bedroom suite.. and got a nice Escape to Willowstream Rate.. later combined with Friends and Family Rate.^
Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MR,HH,FPC
So is e-standby a good deal for FPC platinum

I just qualified for platinum in 2010 and will have that status in March when I am going to San Francisco. I booked a couple of nights in a basic Queen and was offered the "Unique e-standby" upgrade. Options are: $ 29 for early check-in; $ 15 for an exterior King; $ 29 for a Deluxe King; $ 45 for a signature King and $ 75 for a main building suite. The suite is a good deal as it is normally $ 190 more than my regular room. My post is for opinions as to whether accepting the e-standby could mean I would just end up paying for something I might receive a courtesy upgrade to anyway. I will only be there for 2 nights so don't want to use an upgrade certificate which would be of more value on other trips. Any experiences or opinions would be appreciated.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puremega
I just qualified for platinum in 2010 and will have that status in March when I am going to San Francisco. I booked a couple of nights in a basic Queen and was offered the "Unique e-standby" upgrade. Options are: $ 29 for early check-in; $ 15 for an exterior King; $ 29 for a Deluxe King; $ 45 for a signature King and $ 75 for a main building suite. The suite is a good deal as it is normally $ 190 more than my regular room. My post is for opinions as to whether accepting the e-standby could mean I would just end up paying for something I might receive a courtesy upgrade to anyway. I will only be there for 2 nights so don't want to use an upgrade certificate which would be of more value on other trips. Any experiences or opinions would be appreciated.
Thank´s for posting the detailed info - very interesting.

Early check-in is a guaranteed Platinum perk, apart from that the offer doesn´t look too bad.

FTers have had varying experiences with comp. upgrades. More often than not I get a comp. upgrade from a Fairmont room to a Deluxe/Signature room when I only stay for 1-2 nights and can´t be bothered to use an upgrade cert. Others have reported they´ve hardly ever received a comp. upgrade, so obviously YMMV. If you happen to be upgraded, you shouldn´t expect more than a slightly larger room/better room (one category upgrade), but I wouldn´t hold my breath.

IMO the best rooms to go for are a room/suite in the tower or a main building suite (preferably one with a balcony), all the other rooms aren´t that impressive. If I were you I´d probably choose the $75 deal for the main building suite.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Agree, Platinum perk early check-in is no charge, so why pay for it?

The main building suite is nice and worth the $75 up charge deal.. I would also put in a request for a tower suite with a view of Alcatraz in with the reservation.
Old May 8, 2011, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Was offered this eStandby Upgrade for first time tonight after completing a Banff Springs reservation in Sept. and opted for the cheapest upgrade to a similiar room category but with a view for only $29/night. We'll see whether it clears when I check in, if I am able to get away for a mountain weekend, but will this takeaway the occasional complimentary upgrade I've received in the past?
Old May 9, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
I suspect they will happily take your money and not give you an upgrade for free anymore. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they upgrade you further to an even higher category.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052
Was offered this eStandby Upgrade for first time tonight after completing a Banff Springs reservation in Sept. and opted for the cheapest upgrade to a similiar room category but with a view for only $29/night. We'll see whether it clears when I check in, if I am able to get away for a mountain weekend, but will this takeaway the occasional complimentary upgrade I've received in the past?
Originally Posted by anti_ice
I suspect they will happily take your money and not give you an upgrade for free anymore. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they upgrade you further to an even higher category.
Interesting.. tcook052.. was this e standby upgrade offered on your TA rates?
Old May 9, 2011, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by anti_ice
Nothing ventured, nothing gained as if the eStandby doesn't clear I stay in the same Fairmont room and don't pay the extra dollars. If you do get upgraded at the time of check in you agreed to pay the $29 per night which for a higher floor view room isn't too bad IMHO. There were other categories available like jr. suite and even Fairmont gold but this was meant to be a quick & cheap escape so didn't want to blow the budget.

And yes, this option came up after booking TA rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.