FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairmont-fairmont-presidents-club-661/)
-   -   Fairmont announces new property in China; Fairmont Nanjing to Open Late 2012 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairmont-fairmont-presidents-club/1192903-fairmont-announces-new-property-china-fairmont-nanjing-open-late-2012-a.html)

tcook052 Mar 10, 2011 9:18 am

Fairmont announces new property in China; Fairmont Nanjing to Open Late 2012

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...na-1409311.htm

TORONTO, March 10, 2011 - Expanding its presence in Asia Pacific, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts has announced the addition of a new property in China, the Fairmont Nanjing scheduled to open late 2012.

Situated in Hexi New Town, a burgeoning, new commercial district in southwest Nanjing the capital of Jiangsu province, Fairmont Nanjing will be part of the JinAo Plaza development featuring a 56-story building housing the hotel and office space, along with retail and residential offerings.

The hotel will feature 371 spacious guestrooms and suites and guests will enjoy a variety of restaurants and bars as well as a 1,800 square meter (19,375 sq ft) Willow Stream Spa, pool and fitness facilities. With 2,500 square meters (26, 900 sq ft) of function and meeting space, the property will be able to accommodate groups both small and large.

The project is being developed by Jiangsu Golden Land Group Real Estate Development Col, Ltd. ('Jingao'), a Nanjing-based real estate company focused on commercial and residential enterprises.

"Expanding our impressive collection in China is a key goal for Fairmont, and this project provides many synergies with our existing hotels," said Chris Cahill, President, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. "Jingao is leading an exciting revitalization project in Nanjing and we are honored to create with them a new, vibrant destination in the community."

Situated on the south bank of the Yangtze River, Nanjing is a cultural and commercial metropolis and one of China's most important cities, boasting many historical sites, museums, temples and Ming Tombs which are on the UNESCO World Heritage list. The city is also home to a number of domestic and multinational firms and will play host to the 2014 Summer Youth Olympics.

Fairmont Nanjing expands the company's growing presence in Asia, joining sister hotels in China including Fairmont Beijing, Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai; Fairmont Yangcheng Lake, Kunshan; Fairmont Haitang Bay Resort, Sanya (2013) as well as Fairmont Singapore and Fairmont Makati, Manila, Philippines (2012).

thetenken Mar 10, 2011 9:22 am

Very nice! Another Fairmont to add to my list when I get to China!

tcook052 Mar 10, 2011 10:17 am

I wonder of the overall branding strategy with Swissotel and Raffles and whether Fairmont is to be the "lead" brand. This poster would naturally think Raffles would be in some ways more of the brand to emphasize given it's deep Asian roots but there must be very good reasons for stressing the Fairmont brand instead.

Not that it really matters of course just just interesting to me to watch the brand(s) continue to grow and reach a wider audience.

tcook052 Mar 10, 2011 10:59 pm

In a related vein:

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/C...8/-/ax4gc8z/-/

In 2005, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts moved into Africa to manage three properties in Kenya acquired by Kingdom Investment and Kuwait based IFA.

The acquisitions were the company’s launch pad into the region as it looked to Africa and the Middle East for growth.

Fairmont manages the Norfolk, Mount Kenya Safari Club and Mara Safari in Kenya as well as three properties in Cairo and two in South Africa.

It is looking to grow its portfolio even further. The property it was managing in Zanzibar was shut down last year following a fire and the owners are yet to re-open it.

But lack of investments by developers in new units has curtailed the group’s expansion in the region.

thetenken Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 16009601)
I wonder of the overall branding strategy with Swissotel and Raffles and whether Fairmont is to be the "lead" brand. This poster would naturally think Raffles would be in some ways more of the brand to emphasize given it's deep Asian roots but there must be very good reasons for stressing the Fairmont brand instead.

Not that it really matters of course just just interesting to me to watch the brand(s) continue to grow and reach a wider audience.

Perhaps this is a move to consolidate all the brands under one banner at some point in the future. As Fairmont currently has a larger presence across the globe? Much like Frequent Flyer programmes, people often look at the size of brands and their coverage before picking up a program to stick with...perhaps this will make Fairmont more competitive...

FA_COR_YYZ Mar 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Fairmont vs. Raffles

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 16009601)

Raffles properties are intended to be more intimate and have a residential feel. Most of their hotels have less than 200 rooms with Dubai and Makkah being the only exceptions. When looking at the list of hotels in development on their website, that trend will continue. And although a few of their properties have some meeting space, the Raffles brand doesn't aggressively target the group market.

With 371 rooms and 2,500 sq m of meeting space the project in Nanjing will be quite similar to other Fairmonts.

tcook052 Dec 11, 2013 7:25 am

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Dec. 11, 2013) - Fairmont Hotels & Resorts has announced the opening of Fairmont Nanjing - the luxury hotel brand's fourth property in China. Situated in the heart of the prestigious district of Hexi New Town, it is the closest luxury hotel to major transportation centers, mainly, Nanjing Lukou International Airport and Nanjing South Railway Station, and just a few blocks from the Nanjing International Expo Centre and Nanjing Olympic Sports Centre.

In celebration of its opening, the hotel is extending a special introductory offer that includes a rate of RMB 888 per night for a Deluxe Room, inclusive of daily breakfast for two, complimentary high speed internet access and 30% savings at all food and beverage outlets. The offer is valid through April 30, 2014 and guests can visit fairmont.com/nanjing for more information or reservations.

"The city of Nanjing is one of the fastest growing travel destinations in China and we are delighted to open Fairmont Nanjing at such an opportune time," said Martin Leclerc, General Manager, Fairmont Nanjing. "The hotel will be part of a new luxury residential and commercial development area, and leveraging on Fairmont's distinct brand of service excellence and commitment to delivering authentic experiences, we will play a role in helping to put this area on the map for discerning luxury travelers."

Fairmont Nanjing features 359 spacious, well-appointed guestrooms and suites and is located on the upper floors of the 62-storey Jin Ao Tower, an architectural wonder resembling an immense Chinese lantern. Each guestroom showcases unrivalled views of the Yangtze River and the city, and is well-equipped with top-of-the-line amenities including Fairmont's signature bedding, a 46-inch flat panel television, high-speed internet access as well as a contemporary bathroom featuring a rain shower stall and New York perfumer Le Labo bathroom amenities, fragranced with the exclusive Rose 31 scent.

The hotel will also include Fairmont Gold rooms and suites, the luxury brand's hotel within a hotel concept. This exclusive lifestyle experience provides a host of additional privileges and personalized services such as private check-in and exclusive access to the Fairmont Gold Lounge, which serves complimentary breakfast and evening cocktail canapes daily.

With seven restaurants and bars, the hotel is poised to offer a superlative dining experience. This includes Altitude, an all-day dining restaurant located at Level 60 which boasts a 360 degree panoramic view of the city; Vancouver Grill; Richesse Chinoise which specializes in authentic Huaiyang, Cantonese and Sichuan cuisines; Cloud 62, the first and only rooftop-bar in Nanjing, decked out with tented cabanas, a Jacuzzi, music bar and a man-made beach as well as Music@61 which houses three distinct lounges including a cocktail, whisky and wine lounge. Other outlets include Streetz Cafe, a bistro and the Lobby Lounge.

Located at Level 33, the hotel's 1,120 square meter Willow Stream Spa has seven private treatment rooms and suites offering Asian and Western treatments. Other facilities include an indoor mineral pool, saunas and steam rooms.

For meetings and events, Fairmont Nanjing provides 2,500 square meters of prime, flexible function space, including a 1,000 square meter ballroom which can accommodate up to 1,200 people, and seven function rooms. All meeting facilities feature floor-to-ceiling windows with natural daylight and state-of-the-art technology.

Fairmont Nanjing joins the luxury brand's growing collection of hotels in China including Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai; Fairmont Beijing; Fairmont Yangcheng Lake; Fairmont Chengdu and Residences, China (2015); Fairmont Taiyuan (2016); and Fairmont Hangzhou (2017).

phiota Nov 6, 2014 10:33 pm

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? It has great rating on tripadvisor but am also looking to see how it deals with upgrades & certificates.

AMRivlin Nov 7, 2014 9:46 am

Originally Posted by phiota (Post 23804700)
Has anyone stayed at this hotel? It has great rating on tripadvisor but am also looking to see how it deals with upgrades & certificates.

Probably worth a call to reservations. They will handle it by the terms of the certificate

painintheuk Nov 9, 2014 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by phiota (Post 23804700)

I posted a short report from my trip 2 months ago here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23580412-post42.html.

I used a free room cert one night and a $100 food cert during the stay. For food I just billed food to my room and they took off the cert when I checked out. No trouble at all.

Have a great trip!

Dr. PITUK

phiota Nov 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks for the great report on your trip. I have multiple $25 dining/breakfast certificates just wondering if they will accept more then one certificate for one breakfast or dinner meal? Does the certificates also cover the taxes/service charge?

Jasper2009 Nov 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by phiota (Post 23898708)
Thanks for the great report on your trip. I have multiple $25 dining/breakfast certificates just wondering if they will accept more then one certificate for one breakfast or dinner meal? Does the certificates also cover the taxes/service charge?

Yes, you can use multiple dining certs. Each property has a different policy regarding whether taxes are included or not. Afaik service charges are officially ecluded, but as usual YMMV. To be honest, if you stay at Fairmont properties a few times a year, it should be very easy to avoid this issue by just using the certs when it's 100% obvious you're within the T&C.

painintheuk Nov 25, 2014 8:53 pm

I don't think that it would be a problem. I had a 15% service charge on everything (tax not an issue here) and had drinks and food and combined all of them on my tab. The $100 cert just covered the whole thing (I think it came to 600 RMB) and they didn't ask for more cash.

Have a good trip!

Dr. PITUK