Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Mile and Point conferences--which is best and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:40 am

Mile and Point conferences--which is best and why?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
I'm not bitter. It was great while it lasted. Today the best opportunities
are cheap tickets, flying J to Europe for less than $1000 pretty much makes
any effort to collect miles stupid.
I just don't like any liars advertising the non-existing systems just
to attract a crowd of newbies and make money from their innocence
You do sound bitter, cynical maybe even jealous.
As one who has worked the registration desk for a few of these seminars, I marveled at sold out crowds ( many seminars SRO only).
If you can fly on your ash, perhaps you are richer ( in terms of money only!) that you don't need miles/points from sign up bonuses or MS. If you have so much money you should start a blog a la Lucky ? Just don't post referal links. You will be doing good work.

BTW a lot us don't travel to Europe that often...I can tell you we enjoyed a long haul in F ( ttl flying 22 hours) in F in an A380 and an A646 with chef on board. $ 13000 PP.
So Howie & gang, never mind these skeptics, full steam ahead.
general45 and thehowieee like this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by HMPS
Been there six years ago !
If I recall correctly, we were there five years ago.

At literally the very last minute, I was called upon to give a half hour presentation about FlyerTalk. I had no idea what I was going to say to a large room so filled with people that it was standing room only; so I “winged” it while I was up there, talking about some functionalities of how FlyerTalk works — as well as some stories of how I benefited from FlyerTalk over the years.

After the presentation, I was stunned with how I was inundated with questions about FlyerTalk about which I thought everyone already knew the answers; and I was more than happy to answer them...

...so based on that experience alone, I am personally not convinced that there is “nothing to learn” at the Chicago Seminars — and I was not paid one single penny for giving that presentation. I was honored to be able to do it; and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I also lead a breakout session pertaining to the Hilton HHonors program. I thoroughly enjoyed doing that as well.

As for the money: SkiAdcock does an excellent job of increasingly setting the bar for charitable donations every year. The Chicago Seminars is not for profit.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Even if one can scrape the bottom of the barrel for miles what's the bloody point if you can't spend them on anything you want.

I have millions of miles too. Because it's often impossible to use them. Or less expensive to buy a business class ticket.

The P&M game isn't dead. But it's definitely a shadow of its former self. And it's not just on the earning but the burning too.
B747-437B, dhammer53 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Even if one can scrape the bottom of the barrel for miles what's the bloody point if you can't spend them on anything you want.

I have millions of miles too. Because it's often impossible to use them. Or less expensive to buy a business class ticket.

The P&M game isn't dead. But it's definitely a shadow of its former self. And it's not just on the earning but the burning too.
If you have a "problem" spending miles please PM me.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by general45
You seem to be a bitter fool.
and you seem to be simply a [redacted]. Making up stories over here
is probably your way to [redacted]...
Flying First sometimes will not help you forget about it, sorry.

Last edited by oliver2002; Sep 6, 2017 at 4:32 am Reason: redacted personal comments
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Really? Miles and points are dead, you should have started being
interested in this 10 years ago, now there is nothing to learn. Those events
are only organized to make some money of the innocent victims like you.
I think this is a bit dramatic. The event itself doesn't make a direct profit and there is a good charity donation project as part of it.

Of course the presenters who have blogs or represent other businesses certainly have a potential to indirectly benefit from presenting there, by way of the exposure possibly increasing interest and readership (and selling of affiliate links, award booking services, or what have you) of their blog or other business. That in itself is neither good nor bad. Whether a particular entity's product/service offerings are worthwhile, is another discussion.

I guess like anything else, if you don't see a benefit for the price, then don't go. I went to Chicago once in 2011 I think. It was OK, some sessions better than others. No earth-shattering secret revelations or anything. The talk by Pudding Guy was cool. I didn't feel I was an innocent victim getting ripped off, in any case.

I haven't been since. This year's lineup of presenters doesn't really appeal to me and I doubt I'll go in the future. Just my two pennies.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Drat - you beat me to it! My current finances don't allow for buying biz class tickets & I've always been able to redeem miles/points for both hotels & airline tickets.

Whether one finds (any) seminar event to be of value is up to an individual & what they're seeking to learn at the seminars. It's not a one size fits all. I don't consider any to be a 'rip off' per se, and folk attending any should do some due diligence just as they do w/ other things.

Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It's $105. OK, you've got to get to Chicago but the organisers aren't seeing a penny of that.

If it was $495 then you might have a valid point but come on ....
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I call all the posts like this one a complete 100% BS. Sorry.
You can brag as long as you want. What looks like a duck is simply a duck.
I have been to a number of seminars, in the earlier days of FT, say 12-13 years ago. At that time if any money was charged, it was for the room, or food provided. Maybe $10-20.

I've seen many seminars since, from reasonable sounding ones that charge $50-100 for a single day event, to $300 and up multiple day events. The latter seeming less of a deal.

I'd imagine that setting up these events is expensive, so reasonable costs are expected. I think the networking possibilities might eclipse the value of the other info.

Much of the Golden Goose travel deals are in the past, but there are great deals in most areas on a weekly basis. With the huge amount of people looking for the $100 RT in International F that they read about swarming on any publicly posted deals, your timing has to be impeccable. And of course that the deal is honored.

Having personal contacts, underground deals and the like is where so much is happening lately. If you can do that at a seminar, great.

Sure, we want to find the next Pudding Guy, or Car Rental Guy deal, but most likely it will never be posted about.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
the presenters who have blogs or represent other businesses certainly have a potential to indirectly benefit from presenting there, by way of the exposure possibly increasing interest and readership (and selling of affiliate links, award booking services, or what have you) of their blog or other business.
of course, I thought it was obvious. Like those guys:

Innocent victims "discover" their AMAZING blog and click, click, click.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
No problems.

Sir, I am African frequent flyer prince having many millions in miles and am needing a partner to help me. I will give you some of these millions for your help in transferring them. Kindly forward your name, social security number, bank account number and frequent flyer number and I will process the transaction where we win and win together. Your haste in doing this is well and good. Do not tell anyone though as this is only secret benefit for just you.

I happen to be in Tanzania right now so this offer seems apropos.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:19 am

of course, I thought it was obvious. Like those guys:

Innocent victims "discover" their AMAZING blog and click, click, click.
I ( & I dare say all) are wondering SO WHAT ? Do you think all humans are Christs or Gandhis that they want nothing more than a loin cloth and a slice of bread ? ?
These sponsors add value to the event by way of fees ( goes to charities), exposure to new ideas for those of us who did not learn it in while in the womb! I wonder where you learned what from whom to be where you are

I have conversed with both Daraius & Emily in the photo as have hundreds others along with other sponsors. I don't remember them benefiting from me save I recommend their blog to newbies.
A reasonably intelligent person will take what benefits them and just in case it benefits the sponsors, so much the better. Alas nothing much to take away from your posts.

Me thinks thou doeth protest too much. Maybe you have an agenda ?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I would question whether anyone signing up for a seminar to learn more about travel/points/cc's/how to increase such & learn tips/tricks is an 'innocent victim'.

Cheers.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
No problems.

Sir, I am African frequent flyer prince having many millions in miles and am needing a partner to help me. I will give you some of these millions for your help in transferring them. Kindly forward your name, social security number, bank account number and frequent flyer number and I will process the transaction where we win and win together. Your haste in doing this is well and good. Do not tell anyone though as this is only secret benefit for just you.

I happen to be in Tanzania right now so this offer seems apropos.
Sir/ Madam: Thank you for your timely response. Hope this finds your goodself in excellent health. I am very interested in your offer. Please forward the forms to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington D C.

BTW do you have coconuts for export also ?
hi55us likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Do you think all humans are Christs or Gandhis that they want nothing more than a loin cloth and a slice of bread ?
As Indians used to say, it cost them lot of money to keep Gandhi fashionably poor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.