Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frugal Travel Guy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:10 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by fredc84
As a 25 yr airline emp and captain I know it's much more important how good the maintenance is than the age of the plane.
Exactly...

...and that is not unexpectedly surprising.

People have chided Delta Air Lines for having an older fleet of aircraft; but their maintenance seems to be second to none — at least, to my untrained eye after visiting its Technical Operations Center several times — to the point where other airlines contract out the maintenance of their aircraft to Delta Air Lines.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by 84fiero
It appears he mostly just re-worded info from that Motley Fool article.
... which is incorrect as well! JetBlue doesn't have Embraer 195s... Also, these two sites go hand in hand. The Motley Fool exists to shill their subscriptions for investment advice. I gave them my email once, and they've been spamming me ever since!

Originally Posted by fredc84
Interiors can be upgraded pretty easy, if the airline wants to spend the money.
Exactly. The unwashed masses frequently complain about "old planes" when it's clearly not the case. The interior is what these people (who may incorrectly) derive their opinion on how old the aircraft is.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Canarsie
People have chided Delta Air Lines for having an older fleet of aircraft; but their maintenance seems to be second to none — at least, to my untrained eye after visiting its Technical Operations Center several times — to the point where other airlines contract out the maintenance of their aircraft to Delta Air Lines.
Well... Aircraft MRO is a complex topic. No eye, trained or otherwise can really see things if the job is done well, just to customer specification or above what is required. I had the pleasure of flying DL in B763, B764 and A332 recently and wouldn't subscribe to the 'second to none' statement.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2017/...000-miles.html

How I Flew to Okinawa...
Yet it's an upcoming trip and the author stated in the comments that she has never been there before (so the trip still hasn't taken place at the time of publishing)

On top of that, the minor grammatical errors in the article indicates that it was never sent to an editor.

But, I'm sure people are going to ask, how do you get to Okinawa for 30k miles? Well, this is a clickbait garbage title. After reading the piece of garbage of an article, you'll realize that the only way to get to Okinawa for 30k miles is to already be in Japan in the first place! What a subpar value for your miles! But here, you can book this on points from all of these credit cards that they're shilling!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Where do they draw the line for "Frugal?"

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2017/...t-credits.html

Given how there are actual links to brokers, this might simply be a low-key advertising shill for those brokers.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by diburning
Where do they draw the line for "Frugal?"

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2017/...t-credits.html

Given how there are actual links to brokers, this might simply be a low-key advertising shill for those brokers.
Thanks for spotting that. I let those who manage that space know. It's to be taken down asap.

Carol
Community Director
Renes Points and diburning like this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:38 pm
Community Director Emerita

I thought I had agreement but so far, no. Sorry, guys.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:06 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I thought I had agreement but so far, no. Sorry, guys.
unlike.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Well, at least it was taken off the front page of FT.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by diburning
Well, at least it was taken off the front page of FT.
It's "interesting" that links to specific miles brokers are generally prohibited on IB's FT site (at least per the mod note in the one running thread about them) and buying/selling miles discussion is prohibited in the CC forum (and rightly so in both instances) but IB's FTG site posts stuff like this. Anything for the clicks!

I would like to think that the original FTG would never have even posted about brokers except to say "don't do it".

(And yes I know that in practice FT sort of sets its own rules through the CD and formerly TB, but ultimately IB could do as it wishes since it owns FT.)
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It's "interesting" that links to specific miles brokers are generally prohibited on IB's FT site (at least per the mod note in the one running thread about them) and buying/selling miles discussion is prohibited in the CC forum (and rightly so in both instances) but IB's FTG site posts stuff like this. Anything for the clicks!
IB owns a ton of sites (just bought wedMD for example). FTG is 'just' associated with FT by being under the 'home & travel' cluster: http://www.internetbrands.com/our-br...me-and-travel/

I really don't think IB aims to have the same set of rules for all their websites.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
IB owns a ton of sites (just bought wedMD for example). FTG is 'just' associated with FT by being under the 'home & travel' cluster: http://www.internetbrands.com/our-br...me-and-travel/

I really don't think IB aims to have the same set of rules for all their websites.
I'm aware of IB's scope and of course I wasn't claiming that someone at IB sits around trying to match up every single detail for every site - I'm not an idiot.

That wasn't my point, which was merely that FT has some thought put into its posting principles whereas FTG will write just about anything for the clicks. The fact that they currently share the same "adoptive parent", is just interesting.

But note that FTG isn't "just" under their common travel ownership grouping - it's closely linked with FT. It's a part of the FT home page as one of the regular grouping of post links shown (in the lower left) and FTG posts are also often among the rotation of scrolling features in the larger flash graphic at the very top of the FT home page. So someone, somewhere, at some level, is making a decision to pull FTG content onto FT and it does give an impression of FT endorsement of that content IMHO.

And in this case the FTG post in question was initially featured on the FT front page@:-) Had it not been, I probably wouldn't have made that particular comment in this case.

I understand there's nothing any of us can do about it, just an observation.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I wonder why IB didn't buy any other blogs after FTG? Bankrate was happy to hoover up MMS on top of TPG.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Poster

I'm aware of IB's scope and of course I wasn't claiming that someone at IB sits around trying to match up every single detail for every site - I'm not an idiot.

That wasn't my point, which was merely that FT has some thought put into its posting principles whereas FTG will write just about anything for the clicks. The fact that they currently share the same "adoptive parent", is just interesting.

But note that FTG isn't "just" under their common travel ownership grouping - it's closely linked with FT. It's a part of the FT home page as one of the regular grouping of post links shown (in the lower left) and FTG posts are also often among the rotation of scrolling features in the larger flash graphic at the very top of the FT home page. So someone, somewhere, at some level, is making a decision to pull FTG content onto FT and it does give an impression of FT endorsement of that content IMHO.

And in this case the FTG post in question was initially featured on the FT front page@:-) Had it not been, I probably wouldn't have made that particular comment in this case.

I understand there's nothing any of us can do about it, just an observation.
Not to mention that FT's "native" articles (written by the same cretins who write for FTG, but without the FTG branding) on the front page are just as clickbaity and dumb.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Raffles
I wonder why IB didn't buy any other blogs after FTG? Bankrate was happy to hoover up MMS on top of TPG.
Bankrate has also managed to structure it to keep the talent onboard MMS/TPG.
IB didn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.