Points from the Pacific [split off from OMaaT]

Subscribe
He was on Australian television this morning.

No doubt region locked but:

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/vide...e-world/#page1

Basically just the normal stuff you'd expect. He's 17! He flies around the world! In First Class! And it barely costs him anything! He has four credit cards! (That his parents got for him).

He appears to follow in the Ben model of acting and dressing like a forty something middle management type. Honestly good luck to him though - nothing wrong with making some money and doing something you enjoy.
Quote: He was on Australian television this morning.

Basically just the normal stuff you'd expect. He's 17! He flies around the world! In First Class! And it barely costs him anything! He has four credit cards! (That his parents got for him).

He appears to follow in the Ben model of acting and dressing like a forty something middle management type. Honestly good luck to him though - nothing wrong with making some money and doing something you enjoy.
"It's that simple!"
Quote: He was on Australian television this morning.

That was a joke to watch. They make it sound like he gets to fly everywhere for free in F just by using his credit cards to buy toilet paper and other household goods. He comes off as a socially awkward teen trying to be all grown up. As the presenters said at the end he's basically freeloading off his parents.

Silly me, I thought Australian TV had higher standards then being part of pushing the myth of fly for free in first.
Quote: He appears to follow in the Ben model of acting and dressing like a forty something middle management type.
Yes, that's the 'shell of a shell of a stereotype' I was referring to. Emulating someone who has made a living pretending to be someone important heading somewhere important...but actually heading nowhere for no real reason...
Quote: "It's that simple!"
Wow! That simple, eh? Who knew?!

I'll have to watch the video later, not coming up with the work computer at the moment. But I can just about imagine it.

Perusing through his flight reviews this year so far, a quick back of the envelope shows he has redeemed at least ~740,000 miles with various FFPs. In some cases he has mentioned transferred from AMEX MR to the FFPs.

I could easily accrue that much with signup bonuses alone in a year. But from the occasional comments from FT'ers from down under, I thought Australia wasn't exactly the land of huge CC signup bonuses (assuming it would be his parents getting them with him as an AU?)?

There's no way this kid would actually spend anywhere close to that even with category bonuses. Unless there are good MS opportunities in Australia, it seems like that has to almost all from parental CC spending and/or maybe purchasing miles for him.

Browsing the reviews made it more obvious how much he's trying way too hard to emulate Lucky... obsessed with the ME3 carriers (to be fair they're pretty good but still)... kind of a similar format and feel to the reviews... over-uses some of the same catch phrases/adjectives (e.g., everything is "fantastic").

Kinda sad really. Though I guess emulating your idols goes hand in hand with that age.
Quote: Silly me, I thought Australian TV had higher standards then being part of pushing the myth of fly for free in first.
It's the TV version of click bait. Anyone with half a brain would have their BS meter going off while watching it. Nowadays people call con men hustlers, which makes them look not as bad. Not sure what the laws are like in Australia, but I assume a 15 year old isn't getting credit card referral income? I'm not sure how one would make money down there as a blogger at that age. You can get ad rev on the site, but beyond that wouldn't doing an award booking service by your only other option?

I think there is a fine line on criticism or negative feedback you can give a 15 year old on here. I think it's fantastic that he has the motivation to create a blog and he seems to enjoy traveling. I think he just needs to be honest. There is a fairly popular YouTube channel of a 16/17 year old who has a line of exotic cars, drives them to his high school parking lot, and records the reactions and sometimes gets millions of views. He later says he paid for all the cars on his own through penny stocks and buying and reselling coins (his family lives in a fairly modest house). Turns out all the cars are part of an exotic car rental business the family owns.

People want to believe in these "stories" as they are entertainment and give the impression that anything is possible with hard work. This blog is an example of one of those stories in which they aren't telling you the truth.
Quote: It's the TV version of click bait. Anyone with half a brain would have their BS meter going off while watching it. Nowadays people call con men hustlers, which makes them look not as bad. Not sure what the laws are like in Australia, but I assume a 15 year old isn't getting credit card referral income? I'm not sure how one would make money down there as a blogger at that age. You can get ad rev on the site, but beyond that wouldn't doing an award booking service by your only other option?

I think there is a fine line on criticism or negative feedback you can give a 15 year old on here. I think it's fantastic that he has the motivation to create a blog and he seems to enjoy traveling. I think he just needs to be honest. There is a fairly popular YouTube channel of a 16/17 year old who has a line of exotic cars, drives them to his high school parking lot, and records the reactions and sometimes gets millions of views. He later says he paid for all the cars on his own through penny stocks and buying and reselling coins (his family lives in a fairly modest house). Turns out all the cars are part of an exotic car rental business the family owns.

People want to believe in these "stories" as they are entertainment and give the impression that anything is possible with hard work. This blog is an example of one of those stories in which they aren't telling you the truth.
Aka: there is nothing real about 'reality television'. @:-)
Quote: Looks like that post has now gone down the memory hole! I'm getting a page not found error.
Yep he deleted it when he was quizzed that how could he be close to LTS after only a few years of flying. He claimed it was because of all his travels to the USA when he was an infant and had 5000sc. But two people pointed out his WP card which was in the picture showed a join date of 2012! thats when he deleted the post. I've been sent some screenshots and its funny reading..
Quote: Wow! That simple, eh? Who knew?!

I'll have to watch the video later, not coming up with the work computer at the moment. But I can just about imagine it.

Perusing through his flight reviews this year so far, a quick back of the envelope shows he has redeemed at least ~740,000 miles with various FFPs. In some cases he has mentioned transferred from AMEX MR to the FFPs.

I could easily accrue that much with signup bonuses alone in a year. But from the occasional comments from FT'ers from down under, I thought Australia wasn't exactly the land of huge CC signup bonuses (assuming it would be his parents getting them with him as an AU?)?

There's no way this kid would actually spend anywhere close to that even with category bonuses. Unless there are good MS opportunities in Australia, it seems like that has to almost all from parental CC spending and/or maybe purchasing miles for him.

Browsing the reviews made it more obvious how much he's trying way too hard to emulate Lucky... obsessed with the ME3 carriers (to be fair they're pretty good but still)... kind of a similar format and feel to the reviews... over-uses some of the same catch phrases/adjectives (e.g., everything is "fantastic").

Kinda sad really. Though I guess emulating your idols goes hand in hand with that age.
He fails to mention about buying miles (although it is in some of his blogs), and where does the money come from for that?

I know he didn't save up and pay for the Residence trip. and you only need to do the math to work out he'd need to be earning at least $200 per week every week and not spending it to raise 20k in 2 years. the numbers just don't stack up.
Quote: He fails to mention about buying miles (although it is in some of his blogs), and where does the money come from for that?

I know he didn't save up and pay for the Residence trip. and you only need to do the math to work out he'd need to be earning at least $200 per week every week and not spending it to raise 20k in 2 years. the numbers just don't stack up.
Well his idol, Lucky, cheated United Airlines, I guess misleading your readers is the first step he is taking. I guess if he were honest about what he does and how he gets the miles he wouldn't get interviewed by that silly morning chat show. His parents are obviously enabling him.

Just looked at his site. What 17yo uses "Thank you for your kind words"? I know a lot of very well bred and polite teens (US, UK and Aussie) and not one would ever utter those words. Something creepy about it.
Quote: Silly me, I thought Australian TV had higher standards then being part of pushing the myth of fly for free in first.
Was the "sweepstakes" of finding which tile is different than the others for some cash part of these standards? Asking for a friend. 🤣