8th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 20 - 22, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
Dates for 2017 event are: Oct 20-22, 2017

* Event Registration: http://chicagoseminars2017.eventbrite.com - lunch and daily snacks are included in registration (breakfast is NOT included in registration ... see below)
* Hotel registration is in post # 2 (Breakfast for 1 is included in room rate). Host hotel is SOLD OUT.
* Schedule of weekend events is in post #3.
* Current event sponsors in post #4 (and email provided if someone is interested in sponsoring)
* Some info re: charity raffle is in post #5.
* Request for volunteers is in post #6. (volunteers get a thanks & handshake - and an apple).
* A full list of the current speakers is in post #7

The Elk Grove Village Holiday Inn (+1-847-437-6010) shuttle normally leaves the hotel on the hour and the airport on the half hour. Domestic arrivals pick up at Door 2, international arrivals at Door 5E.
Print Wikipost

8th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 20 - 22, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by pollyprissypants
I got a room at Holiday Inn Express NW Arlington Heights. It's under 4 miles away and includes breakfast. Just like the Elk Groove location it includes a free shuttle within 5 miles. I verified online I could use it to go between the 2 hotels. Shuttle runs 7am -1030pm.
I'll be staying at the HIE NW Arlington Heights. If anyone wants to meet up there for a drink or chat, PM me. Friday - Sun.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by NoHomeJustRoam
I stayed at the Sheraton Elk Grove last year and it was a decent option. If you have the SPG Biz card, you'll have access to the Club Lounge (i.e. free breakfast).

It's less than 10 minutes away and costs under $8 for an Uber. The Sheraton's also category 2, so only costs you 3k Starpoints per night.
Thinking of going to the Seminar this year. Thanks for suggesting this hotel. We have a car so can carpool people. Will update when we can figure out our schedule.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ??????????
Overflow hotel added: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27964927-post2.html
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: UA, SPG, Marriott
I'll be attending! It's my first conference and I'm new to the point and mile world. Everyone on flyertalk has been so wonderful and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! I'll be staying at the Sheraton Elk Grove with a car and can help car pool
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Glad you'll make it! See you then ^^^
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Very excited to be attending for the first time. Got a good rate at the Doubletree Wooddale/Elk Grove, quick 10 minute uber from the conferences.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

^^^^^
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Two rooms at host hotel should be cancelled shortly today at host hotel, if anyone wants to grab them.
P.S. We are still coming. They were for others.

Sorry, already taken

Last edited by PatMike; Sep 2, 2017 at 3:40 pm
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:16 pm

Mods - please stop this back and forth that has noting to do with the event. It's over a page already.

Valid opinions or just trolling, these do not belong in this thread.
thehowieee, Renes Points and HMPS like this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: United platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG plat
Howie et all: In late July pointswithacrew posted a mock credit card draft that looked pretty interesting. What say 5 or so of you speakers do something similar at the conference?

Not necessarily a live version as I know all of you are busy, but something like a big whiteboard in the sponsor's table area where you list your draft pick(s) and why. Maybe you each have 1 hour to make your pick? Or maybe you all sit around drinking beers and knock out the whole draft in 90 minutes?

Here's their original "draft rules" that you could modify as you see fit (maybe add max $__ in combined annual first year fees or ?):

Ground rules for the credit card mock draft:
---Chase 5/24 is not a factor, nor any other Amex once per lifetime or Citi 24 month rules
---Assume you have no other cards or points
---Signup bonuses DO matter, but if a card fluctuates between good and bad signup bonuses and it’s currently at a low point, feel free to make the argument for it at a higher bonus with your pick
---You can’t pick a card that is not currently open to new applicants (Ink Plus / AT&T Access More / etc)
---No prepaid cards
---Cards issued by foreign banks are fine as long as they’re available to the general (US) public

Just a thought.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lennys26v2
Mods - please stop this back and forth that has noting to do with the event. It's over a page already.

Valid opinions or just trolling, these do not belong in this thread.
it seems you got your wish, but the mods never acknowledged they removed the post.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmat
Howie et all: In late July pointswithacrew posted a mock credit card draft that looked pretty interesting. What say 5 or so of you speakers do something similar at the conference?

Not necessarily a live version as I know all of you are busy, but something like a big whiteboard in the sponsor's table area where you list your draft pick(s) and why. Maybe you each have 1 hour to make your pick? Or maybe you all sit around drinking beers and knock out the whole draft in 90 minutes?

Here's their original "draft rules" that you could modify as you see fit (maybe add max $__ in combined annual first year fees or ?):

Ground rules for the credit card mock draft:
---Chase 5/24 is not a factor, nor any other Amex once per lifetime or Citi 24 month rules
---Assume you have no other cards or points
---Signup bonuses DO matter, but if a card fluctuates between good and bad signup bonuses and it’s currently at a low point, feel free to make the argument for it at a higher bonus with your pick
---You can’t pick a card that is not currently open to new applicants (Ink Plus / AT&T Access More / etc)
---No prepaid cards
---Cards issued by foreign banks are fine as long as they’re available to the general (US) public

Just a thought.
Neat idea -- I think we could even do this on a wall/windows with some hung paper and stickies.

I'll work on making this happen.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: United platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG plat
Originally Posted by thehowieee
Neat idea -- I think we could even do this on a wall/windows with some hung paper and stickies.

I'll work on making this happen.
Looking forward to it; especially the reason(s) justifying each pick in its particular draft position.

Also, given the higher % of new-ish miles/points folks attending, I'd be in favor of some sort of total "team $ spend cap" on first year card fees of something like $600 or so. But maybe with a twist that true card bonus $ rebates can add to your "team $ cap"...so if for instance you drafted BOA Alaska Air card using link with $100 statement credit to offset the $75 annual fee, since you profited net of $25 cash by getting that card you'd now have $625 to spend on your credit card team in 1st year fees instead of the original $600.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmat
Looking forward to it; especially the reason(s) justifying each pick in its particular draft position.

Also, given the higher % of new-ish miles/points folks attending, I'd be in favor of some sort of total "team $ spend cap" on first year card fees of something like $600 or so. But maybe with a twist that true card bonus $ rebates can add to your "team $ cap"...so if for instance you drafted BOA Alaska Air card using link with $100 statement credit to offset the $75 annual fee, since you profited net of $25 cash by getting that card you'd now have $625 to spend on your credit card team in 1st year fees instead of the original $600.
I'll put it in my notes.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:11 pm

Btw, was there a survey send out to assign people into various groups? Has that been done already?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.