Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Frequent Traveler University (FTU) Events [merged]

Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat...basically all the status you can get for free...

Due to being an idiot and booking two tickets when we would have a one month old, we will need to sell our two tickets. We will be glad to sell for the face value plus transfer cost. Message if you're interested.

Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2014, 6:48 pm

1 Ticket available for FTU Advanced Seminar 9/26-9/28

I have one ticket available for the Seminar in Chicago from 9/26-9/28. Please pm me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat...basically all the status you can get for free...
1 Ticket available for FTU Advanced Seminar 9/26-9/28

I also have a ticket for sale for face value plus the transfer cost. Please PM if you're interested. Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

FTU Advanced Sept 26 - 2 tickets for sale

Update: one ticket left for sale. Please, oh please, do my sleep-deprived family a favor and take this off my hands!
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:36 pm

I will pay the transfer cost for whom ever wishes to purchase my ticket.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I too have a ticket to sell...
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bsbybms
Update: one ticket left for sale. Please, oh please, do my sleep-deprived family a favor and take this off my hands!
I have a ticket for this event too that I want to sell.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

1 Ticket and Hotel Room for FTU Advance

As the title says I have 1 ticket and hotel room at host hotel, PM me.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta, American
I have one ticket for sale. Will sell for face value. I will pay transfer.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
FTU Advanced Inflation for FTUA3

Give the FTU boys credit: by creating an 'advanced' event with limited supply they have increased demand, selling out the limited supply in a matter of hours.

And are now, naturally, increasing the price from $199 to $249.

http://ftuniversity.wpengine.com/eve...ced-san-diego/

One wonders what the 'real' aftermarket price for these tickets would be if the sponsors didn't artificially limit that market through their mandatory registration transfer process. Eliminating that process might help them find the free market price point they should be charging. @:-)

Oh and this 20 year-old photo of Randy on the site made me chuckle:

Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:28 am

I suggested to Randy that he put something like this on (not that I'm taking credit, just saying people are interested). I went to FTU in Virginia and it was too basic for me. I can forgive the cc shilling, but some people had never heard of Amazon Payments.

I was more interested in learning in more depth about award bookings...

God bless them if they can make a buck. I enjoyed going to FTU Virginia, but I also had the ability to drive...

Last edited by farbster; Sep 16, 2014 at 10:29 am Reason: add clarification
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:25 am
Suspended

I drove to the FTU in Tampa....

It was fun to know so many others would interested in the same topic as I, but I ended up leaving a day early. The info was just too damn basic.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
One wonders what the 'real' aftermarket price for these tickets would be if the sponsors didn't artificially limit that market through their mandatory registration transfer process. Eliminating that process might help them find the free market price point they should be charging.
If cash transactions were not prohibited on CC we could find out here on FT. But it seems to me that the fee should be comparable to the associated expenses for non-local attendees: roughly $400 for the hotel and either $100 for parking or about $500 for travel. Would I pay $1000 for AFTU? Nope. Would 100 people pay that? I think so.

I suggested on VFTW that the organizers attempt to cut the expensive hotel out of the equation next time. Go cheap all the way and charge more for the event itself. Everybody wins except the local attendees, who were getting too good a deal before.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
looks like it already sold out? if so wow... at $250

impressive i suppose, though.

interesting formula - create FTU for $100. get people to go, but water down the content so basic that people get frustrated that it feels like a big marketing event.... then up the price to $250 for the version that people wanted the first time
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
If cash transactions were not prohibited on CC we could find out here on FT. But it seems to me that the fee should be comparable to the associated expenses for non-local attendees: roughly $400 for the hotel and either $100 for parking or about $500 for travel. Would I pay $1000 for AFTU? Nope. Would 100 people pay that? I think so.

I suggested on VFTW that the organizers attempt to cut the expensive hotel out of the equation next time. Go cheap all the way and charge more for the event itself. Everybody wins except the local attendees, who were getting too good a deal before.

I think the aFTU hotel rate was closer to $119 for Chicago. I have a rate even lower than that for this month's event based on BRG. The hotel rates are always dependent on the location, class of hotel and negotiations. I am sure the organizers work hard to get the best rate possible. Having booked conferences with >100 room nights, there are a lot of variable that go into the process. Further, there is no requirement that attendees stay at the host hotel. I have met people who hotel hop, book rewards, C+P...

I have attended 2 in the past, one where I stayed at the hotel and the rate in VA was affordable.

Also, as frequent flyers, I am sure you can find ways to economize. many people have done so, including sharing rooms, using hotel/airport shuttle, carpooling to minimize expenses. Isn't that part of the whole thing about FTU, learning how to travel smarter?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.