Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG/Marriott Merger a Litmus Test of Which Blogs Are a Waste of Your Time

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:54 am
Original Poster

SPG/Marriott Merger a Litmus Test of Which Blogs Are a Waste of Your Time

I kind of feel like today is the day where you can see who has talent for copy and pasting, who puts a little extra effort, and who really dives into all the details in order to tell the reader what the best deals are.

For example:

MommyPoints - Looks like a pretty common copy and paste job of common knowledge.

FrequentMiler - One of the few bloggers that features the "5 nights and Flights" information. Very detailed analysis.

Ben and Gary - Guess these guys knew all the info ahead of time and were embargoed from posting early. Come on Gary, really a step by step guide on how to link accounts??

Doctor of Credit - Published early based on a leaked Chinese document

MMS - Really weak content, looks like a copy and paste job with little thought. Not even a mention of nights and flights.

ThePointsGuy - Really weak content. Went the same route as Gary giving a step by step guide with screen shots on how to connect accounts. Not only that, Zach decide to just link out to old stories. Didn't these guys get like a 2 or 3 day notice of all the details?? LOL

Edit:
It looks like there are a LOT of blogs that haven't even posted. Frugal Travel Guy which seems to have multiple writers has no story. MileValue has no story.

Last edited by Astrophsx; Sep 23, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:35 pm

I saw "5 nights and Flights" info at dansdeals and danny deal guru also just off top of my head. it should have been mentioned in other blogs as well. i feel like my twitter feed is more than 50% Marriott merger posts

it's hard to tell who copies who
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I don't think we really needed more than one post per blogger to go over this stuff, but, well, I guess that's why I am not a successful blogger.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:53 pm

everyone i squeezing like 5 posts out of this. how to link. how to transfer. status match. night and flights. and I'm sure they'll come up with some others
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
But what do you think about the Starwood/Marriott merger? Let me know in the comments!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
But what do you think about the Starwood/Marriott merger? Let me know in the comments!
Followed by a post of top 5 Marriott hotels I'm thinking about visiting! You can too with these credit cards.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:46 pm

Looks TPG is in the pole position with this:

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/post...-marriott-spg/
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can't link these accounts on your own, you shouldn't be using a computer.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by momoneylessproblems
I saw "5 nights and Flights" info at dansdeals
Went into analysis mode with 3 posts from 12:30AM-3AM. Lots more to still cover, but I think I covered the basics.
Astrophsx, I can't link to my posts per FT rules, but feel free to judge them
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Went into analysis mode with 3 posts from 12:30AM-3AM. Lots more to still cover, but I think I covered the basics.
Astrophsx, I can't link to my posts per FT rules, but feel free to judge them
I like that you break things down into bullet points and all the information is digestible in that you really don't need to use all the photos provided by brand's media team.

Any reason for not covering the 5 nights + miles?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I like that you break things down into bullet points and all the information is digestible in that you really don't need to use all the photos provided by brand's media team.

Any reason for not covering the 5 nights + miles?
I mentioned them in the comments to someone who said 7 nights is too long for him, but from what I've seen the vast majority of agents won't sell those packages to regular members. I tend to shy away from the YMMV stuff as that creates lots of frustrated readers and comments.

To be honest though I've never been a Marriott guy, so CMIIW.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by josephstern
If you can't link these accounts on your own, you shouldn't be using a computer.
Amen!

I mentioned them in the comments to someone who said 7 nights is too long for him, but from what I've seen the vast majority of agents won't sell those packages to regular members. I tend to shy away from the YMMV stuff as that creates lots of frustrated readers and comments.

To be honest though I've never been a Marriott guy, so CMIIW.
Pretty good approach on YMMV type things, I think.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can't link to my posts per FT rules,
Sure you can. Just have to note that in the post.

Originally Posted by FT Rules
If linking to your own blog, to a blog on behalf of someone, or to a blog of which you are a periodic or regular contributor, you must identify that fact in your post and you must include enough content for the FlyerTalk post to stand on its own without following the link. Do not post repeatedly in a manner that has the effect or purpose of driving traffic to a blog or website.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Sure you can. Just have to note that in the post.
I can't just give him links to the 3 posts I've made so far, I would have to include enough content from each of those 3 posts so that he wouldn't have to click to look at those posts.
That's more work than I cared to do.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
One troll post and 6 responses thereto deleted.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.