Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Question about giving credit and h/t

Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Ok, so I saw a tweet today from a big thought leader regarding a business class fare to China. He gave a h/t or credit to the original post that was here on FT but also to another prominent blogger.

Here are my questions...
1) wouldn't it be nicer if they gave the credit or h/t in the beginning instead of the end of their post? Yes, I know niceness has nothing to do with business...

2) shouldn't the thought leader have just given credit to the original person on FT and not his buddy from BA?

I know it is all a big circlej**K, but still?

Am I off base?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Just be glad he acknowledged FT at all. Most of the times the bloggers just thank another blogger, who probably got the original information from FT. They want to link back to BA, not out to FT.

There was a lot of discussion about this exact topic with this specific blogger in the respective thread.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:44 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
For a while it was common practice for the BA bloggers to h/t back to the MilePoint/InsideFlyer copycat thread of something native to FlyerTalk. Kept it in the family.

But that's no longer really possible since there are not even copycat threads on IF anymore. So they link back to others on BA instead.

It's just good business.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by farbster
Ok, so I saw a tweet today from a big thought leader regarding a business class fare to China. He gave a h/t or credit to the original post that was here on FT but also to another prominent blogger.

Here are my questions...
1) wouldn't it be nicer if they gave the credit or h/t in the beginning instead of the end of their post? Yes, I know niceness has nothing to do with business...

2) shouldn't the thought leader have just given credit to the original person on FT and not his buddy from BA?

I know it is all a big circlej**K, but still?

Am I off base?
In regards to #2, a lot of the time I wouldn't know of certain information if it wasn't posted on another blog. In those cases I'll credit that blog and then the original source.

Personally don't really see a problem with it. Especially when it comes to deals, it's usually very likely that I will have seen/found a particular deal even if it wasn't posted on FT/reddit whatever (e.g through change detection and other means) but if it's already on those sites I'll still give credit to them.

Not really sure how airline deals work though!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.