Reddit - Miles & Points

Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Reddit - Miles & Points

Maybe I'm late to the game, but there are a couple of M&P related subreddits:

https://www.reddit.com/r/awardtravel

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning

I haven't really read through either of the above yet but am curious if anyone here has found them useful/reliable/timely in general? Any other subreddits that would be of interest to us?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The churning section gets a lot of love in the MS forum here.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
There is a lot of cross-over between the the /r/churning subreddit members and the SAN based FT Facebook group.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:14 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
The churning section gets a lot of love in the MS forum here.
If the MS forum is discussing an external miles and points resource, perhaps those threads should be merged into this one.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:05 pm

r/churning seems like a bunch of people signing up for credit cards without a plan to use the points. from reading the comments, most people haven't redeemed any points yet from their churning activities.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
r/churning seems like a bunch of people signing up for credit cards without a plan to use the points. from reading the comments, most people haven't redeemed any points yet from their churning activities.
Do you think that's significantly different from FT? I read lots of posts here from people who have tons of points and no idea how to use them.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:45 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Do you think that's significantly different from FT? I read lots of posts here from people who have tons of points and no idea how to use them.
I know of at least a couple of award booking services that could help them with that!!!! @:-)
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:18 pm

The impression I get is there are more noobs on r/churning and that want to be spoonfed. The noobs head to r/churning because FT isn't friendly to noobs wanting to be spoonfed. Maybe because I don't read trip reports on FT but there's people that have been churning for 2 years to finally blow their load on one trip. Totally inefficient way of using points imo. They're churning 10 cards to have 1 trip like TPG.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:12 am

I think Reddit has a mix of rookies and experienced travelers, just like anywhere else.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
The impression I get is there are more noobs on r/churning and that want to be spoonfed. The noobs head to r/churning because FT isn't friendly to noobs wanting to be spoonfed. Maybe because I don't read trip reports on FT but there's people that have been churning for 2 years to finally blow their load on one trip. Totally inefficient way of using points imo. They're churning 10 cards to have 1 trip like TPG.
More requests for spoonfeeding than FlyerTalk? I'm not even sure that's possible. As an active reader of both, I'd say the opposite.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AOPA
Reddit has a lot of new people and very basic questions.

there are tons of college age kids that could take month off at a time.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
More requests for spoonfeeding than FlyerTalk? I'm not even sure that's possible. As an active reader of both, I'd say the opposite.
the spoonfeeding requests on FT are met with disdain while the spoonfeeding on reddit is met with open arms.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:07 pm

Reddit is significantly better for news, Flyertalk is significantly better for finding the answer to specific questions about different loyalty programs. Both serve a purpose.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Yeah to me r/churning tilts a little younger and a less business frequent flyer crowd than FT on average (obviously there is a lot of cross over including myself between the different forum).

In general though, I have found r/churning to be more college students or folks just looking for "free" vacations and will go to strange lengths to not spend any out of pocket money on a trip. For example people will boast about a cash-back redemption to wipe out an Uber ride lets say, or opening a bank account and getting a sign up bonus and then applying that to a trip. To me cash is cash, you could have done anything with that, paid your car payment, gone to the mall, etc.

Compare that to FT where I think the goal is more of a highest return per mile. People boast about trips in F/J, or 5* hotel redemptions that they were able to secure for a very low number of points compared to what it would have cost in dollars.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:11 pm

Reddit definitely feels like a younger crowd that has less money and more time to travel. I don't post there often but get down voted in any travel threads when recommending higher end redemption options. A lot of the travel subreddits seem to focus on backpacking and staying in hostels for months, which is something most people can't do once you get a steady job and have a mortgage. I'd much rather spend the limited vacation time I have in as lavish an environment as possible, but I understand stretching things if money is the limitation versus time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.