Wiki Posts
Search

MMS joins TPG at Bankrate

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 10:21 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
That post said 'ad revenue' which I took to be different from credit card application revenue.
Yes -- Raffles's latest post would appear to confirm that you read his earlier post more carefully than I did.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Can you see Ben submitting his expense reports for reimbursement?

$20K for an Emirates F flight (working hard!).

And, all of a sudden, he'd be incentivized to buy the most expensive fares if he were charging those to his personal card.
TPG bought the residence, I'm sure he expensed it and paid for everything with his CSP.

I can imagine Randy selling BArea. Not having Ben & Gary on it would make it nearly unsellable so I'm sure there are some decent clauses in the contract that OMAAT and VFTW have with the HOM.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
That post said 'ad revenue' which I took to be different from credit card application revenue.
It is different. You sell to Bankrate, Bankrate keeps all of the credit card money going forward, you tie Ben in with a multi-year contract of a base salary plus the advertising revenue plus, debatably, the hotel and points.com affiliate money. That's what I would do - and I spent 13 years doing management buy-outs!
Old May 31, 2016, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
...You sell to Bankrate, Bankrate keeps all of the credit card money going forward, you tie Ben in with a multi-year contract of a base salary plus the advertising revenue plus, debatably, the hotel and points.com affiliate money.
That makes a lot of sense actually.

I am holding out for a NON partial Panera gift card!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:11 am

Would this info show up on the next 10-Q or 10-K? Or just will be a line item?

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i and others posted quotes from bankrate financials, basically no discussion of TPG
not really surprising, as those kinds of breakdowns are not focus of financials
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by PedroNY
Would this info show up on the next 10-Q or 10-K? Or just will be a line item?

Cheers,

PedroNY
It's not a material acquisition so doesn't have to be disclosed. Same with when TPG was acquired.

Seems like a smart move by MMS, most bloggers have already lost their links (or at least some of them). This way you're hooked up with really the only provider of affiliate credit card links in the space.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
It's not a material acquisition so doesn't have to be disclosed. Same with when TPG was acquired.

Seems like a smart move by MMS, most bloggers have already lost their links (or at least some of them). This way you're hooked up with really the only provider of affiliate credit card links in the space.
From the moment I heard about the divorce I was wondering when this announcement would come. Timing was right on all sides.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
Do people really think this is going to change the content? It was always basically CC ads anyways, wasn't it?
Exactly! sell vs sell out - what's the difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.