DansDeals - Time for a Master Thread?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DansDeals - Time for a Master Thread?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I don't see the point of having a DD master thread. This board is to make fun of all the articles that BoardingArea bloggers write, not to criticize someone's management of deal postings and a forum they run. Seems like email would be better for that instead of a public airing of grievances.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I was especially annoyed with Dan this morning and he made me think of Gary's clickbait titles when I saw "Today Only: Save Up To 91% On Luggage And Travel Accessories From Amazon." Naturally, as a long-time reader of Dan, I was suspicious, but he does unveil great Amazon deals at times, so I took the bait. One such "91% off" deal is Amazon item number B0183QG0G0. That's a "Columbia Chill Out Three Piece Rolling Luggage Set" regular price $920.60, now $87.39. I don't know what a reasonable 'original' price for this item is, but there's no way it's north of $250 (it doesn't appear on Columbia's site - maybe it's even counterfeit?). The fact that he not only doesn't call out Amazon for this BS on the pricing, but attempts to use it to his advantage is both misleading to his readers and it furthers the deceit on Amazon.
I bought this Amazon metzia. I have a couple Columbia dufflel bags that cost over $200, so I figured Columbia is expensive but makes excellent products, has good customer service and offers a lifetime warranty. I called Columbia and Cara said this model is discontinued, but did not provide me an option to take it somewhere to check if it's counterfeit. I guess if it doesn't seem right when I get it I'll return it.

Regarding the Dandeals forums, I found some interesting travel threads there, like their Global Entry sale thread where it is offered for about $30.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boboqui
I bought this Amazon metzia. I have a couple Columbia dufflel bags that cost over $200, so I figured Columbia is expensive but makes excellent products, has good customer service and offers a lifetime warranty. I called Columbia and Cara said this model is discontinued, but did not provide me an option to take it somewhere to check if it's counterfeit. I guess if it doesn't seem right when I get it I'll return it.

Regarding the Dandeals forums, I found some interesting travel threads there, like their Global Entry sale thread where it is offered for about $30.
Glad to hear it sounds legit. When I saw the huge Columbia lettering, it made me think of all the fake bags (usually North Face) I always see in markets in SE Asia.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:40 pm

I enjoy the fact that ctownflyer is willing to come here and participate. I've only seen a few instances where a travel blogger has posted here. I think that was MommyPoints?

A few years ago Ben took something I posted and decided to make a blog entry about what I had to say. Link

He wrote:
"For that matter, I’m not sure he’s actually interested in the answer, in which case he could have emailed me, Tweeted me, or left a comment on my blog asking the question.... But I suspect in this case he was just trying to stir up controversy."

Somehow if you question a blogger's motive or method they become the victim? I have a foggy memory, but I think these bloggers say they don't read these threads... but I'm guessing otherwise. TPG got a lashing on reddit recently and I believe he brought up the term haters as well. I would say that at times on here I've been a little whiny, but I've typically always had constructive criticism.

Josephstern's original observation is something I've seen fairly prevalent on BoardingArea and I think he's right to have some suspicion with some sneaky methods some bloggers have used to obtain Amazon referral commission. On BoardingArea I've seen a lot of targeted promotions where they say... hey you should use this link to see if you were targeted by amazon for a $10 off coupon knowing that if you go on to purchase anything in the next 24 hours it will pay them $$$. I would say 95% of the time bloggers that use this method weren't even targeted themselves.

I don't read DD enough to know the history of clickbait referral links. Though he has detailed some really helpful award travel information and I'm still waiting for him to post the screen shots posted by a drunken Brian Kelly directed at Lucky on a past Emirates flight.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes - Dan has been great about posting here. He's definitely not the norm among these bloggers in that regard.

I'd also like to point out that I was annoyed by the clickbait title this morning, but I can't accuse him of too much clickbait long-term. Frankly, even Gary has toned it down a bit.

I really do think Dan is a fantastic businessman in a way that the other bloggers are not. He has a more specific audience, and he caters to them, and earns their respect. The rest that we typically discuss on here are just after the newbie with the cc app. Or, more broadly, they're after a buyout. I don't see Dan pursuing such a path.

Anyway, my point in starting this thread was to open up discussion - for better or worse. I'm glad Dan has joined in.

I guess this makes me a DanFanBoy to some extent, and explains a bit why I was let down by that Amazon/luggage post.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:10 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Took my 4 year old son last month to SFO to experience 747 J class upstairs before UA retires it. Got to sit in the cockpit and had the time of his life. But some thought leaders here just want to ban kids, despite the adults on the flight that acted worse than he did

There's $1,400 to TLV via LHR in J on my site. See a new city and take a 23 hour connection each way. Go by July and earn 42K miles with the TATL bonus
4 is too young for business class. Still too prone to tantrums. And you can't compare a child having a tantrum with an unruly adult. Unruly adults can be reasoned with. A tantruming child cannot.

I was in Tel Aviv a couple years ago. It was the most boring part of the 2 weeks we spent in Israel. But if you find decent business class tickets to London inSeptember please do post it in the reasonable premium class fare forum!!!
Old May 25, 2016, 6:10 pm

I guess this makes me a DanFanBoy to some extent, and explains a bit why I was let down by that Amazon/luggage post.
I think the amazon luggage deal is great, why do you feel let down???
Old May 25, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boboqui
I think the amazon luggage deal is great, why do you feel let down???
By the '91% off' nonsense.

It never retailed for anything close to $900.

Amazon is full of that garbage pricing, and Dan should be acting as a filter for his audience, not perpetuating that.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I don't see the point of having a DD master thread. This board is to make fun of all the articles that BoardingArea bloggers write, not to criticize someone's management of deal postings and a forum they run. Seems like email would be better for that instead of a public airing of grievances.
LOL shocking honesty of the reason for the BBB or the Blog Bashing Board here on FT that should have stayed as one mega rant thread.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:21 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Renes Points
LOL shocking honesty of the reason for the BBB or the Blog Bashing Board here on FT that should have stayed as one mega rant thread.
And yet here you are...bashing away with a rant!

I just looked at DD for among the first times. Not really a P&M blog, but I did show it to my wife who subscribed. So thanks to the OP for making me a hero tonight! ^
Old May 25, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Haha, that post was written with tongue firmly in cheek Rene!

Andy
Andy's Travel Blog, proud member of the BoardingArea network
Old May 25, 2016, 9:08 pm

By the '91% off' nonsense.

It never retailed for anything close to $900.

Amazon is full of that garbage pricing, and Dan should be acting as a filter for his audience, not perpetuating that.
Long time lurker just here to reply to josephstern.

Amazon has gold box deals every day. Sometimes they are products I know will be popular such as luggage, toys, memory cards etc.

So I link to the sale page and usually do a roundup of all the products.

Amazon usually lists the sale as save up to a certain percent off. I like to be as accurate as possible with my posts so as I go through all the listings I note the highest percentage off and use that in the title.

In 3 years I have't heard one complaint about this.

Now let's take today's post as an example. The 91% off product was this
Amazon.com: Pierre Cardin Crosby 15 Inch Laptop Messenger Bag, Herringbone/Black: Clothing Amazon.com: Pierre Cardin Crosby 15 Inch Laptop Messenger Bag, Herringbone/Black: Clothing
for $9.99 and it was actually selling for $130 yesterday from Amazon. As of this morning it wasn't being sold at any other store online, other than a listing on eBay for $171.

Every store that I can think of advertises sales based on the MSRP. Sure there are lots of complaints about what is MSRP recently, but for me the best way to describe a sale is using the information given to me by the seller. And Amazon is a company people trust I don't feel like I have to go to the factory in China find out the production cost and then figure out a fare price and base the title on that price. I am merely relaying information here, not creating.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
You know... You wouldn't have to write "Andy, proud BA drone blah blah" every time if you put it as your signature.

Or maybe you want two signatures.

Very thought leadery
Old May 27, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Would a thought leader like you click on half priced diapers just because you see a link for them?
Now if we labeled the diapers as 1K free United miles to get you to click on them, that would be doing anything
Koko. Do you have something to tell us? B'H.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Meh, my wife does all the Amazon shopping. And she hates kids.
Speaking of Amazon, you should be clicking through on TravelBloggerBuzz's Amazon link.

Originally Posted by kokonutz

I was in Tel Aviv a couple years ago. It was the most boring part of the 2 weeks we spent in Israel. But if you find decent business class tickets to London in September please do post it in the reasonable premium class fare forum!!!
Boring? TEL? Only of you spend 3 or 4 days there on a 2nd trip.

As for Dan, I read the FB DD page. Lots of 'silly' questions from lots of rookies. Recently, one woman named Leora (written in Hebrew), kept posting questions of different parts of the world. The first time I read her post, I responded on FB and via PM. She certainly peppered me with questions. After her 2nd, 3rd, or 4th post about a new destination, I stopped responding. As we say her on FT, just pass it by.

Sine Dan already has DD, I don't think it's necessary to post here. I do suggest that people check in once a day though. There are some good deals posted.

Shabbat Shalom.
Good Shabbes.
Gut Shabbes.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Shabbat Shalom.
Good Shabbes.
Gut Shabbes.
The DD Facebook group is something else. I far prefer the forums.

Shabbat Shalom to you as well. If your BRT wasn't on a Saturday I'd tell you to add the ribs from Izzy's Smokehouse to the list. If you haven't tried them yet, you'll be in for a real treat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.