Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Chicago Seminars October 14-16th, 2016

Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thehowieee
Dates for 2017 event are: Oct 20-22, 2017 -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1825965-8th-annual-chicago-seminars-october-20-22-2017-a-2.html

* Event Registration: http://chicagoseminars2016.eventbrite.com - lunch and daily snacks are included in registration (breakfast is NOT included in registration ... see below)
* Hotel registration is live in post # 2. Breakfast for 1 is included in room rate if booked using seminar code.
* Schedule of weekend events is in post #3.
* Current event sponsors in post #4 (and email provided if someone is interested in sponsoring)
* Some info re: charity raffle is in post #5.
* Request for volunteers is in post #6. (volunteers get a thanks & handshake - and an apple).
* A full list of the current speakers is in post #7
Print Wikipost

Chicago Seminars October 14-16th, 2016

Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So now that Amex has shut down many of the Bloggers who give talks, will be interesting on the new topics this year..
Can you provide any evidence or threads on this?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I will be staying on property but moving to a Hyatt Suite on Sunday evening and would look forward to having a small group where we can share anecdotes, tips, hints, advice and war stories in a great setting.

If there is any interest...
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Can not say 100% but maybe 99.999999% as this hotel totally gets it we are all about the points. Keep in mind the folks that organize this, each year after year, give the bonus points THEY GET back as a gift for the raffle for charity etc.

Other than this is a somewhat dated hotel they go WAY over the top to make it really fun for us and give us points on top. #Winning
100% yes if you are paying for your room.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: United platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG plat
Originally Posted by John DELTA
I will be staying on property but moving to a Hyatt Suite on Sunday evening and would look forward to having a small group where we can share anecdotes, tips, hints, advice and war stories in a great setting.

I'd be up for dinner/drinks at the on site Hol Inn restaurant/bar around 7pm on Sunday!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by katstarr
I apologize in advance if this has already been posted, but I am curious if anyone is staying instead at any of the Hyatts nearby?

If so, I'd be interested in sharing rides back and forth to the Holiday Inn.

It looks like the Hyatt Place chicago/itasca is the closest, with the Schaumberg properties next.

thank you.
I'll be racking up stays to qualify for Diamond, which means Itasca 13-14, Rosemont 14-15, Itasca 15-16, Regency O'hare 15-16. If our stays overlap, I'll carpool with you
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:27 pm

We are also at the Hyatt Sunday night and would be interested.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG

I'll be at either Hyatt O'Hare or Rosemont and would be interested. Would appreciate a ride from HI as I'll also be on property Fri/Sat.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:41 am

After event gathering

I'm also interested in getting together. I'll be at the La Quinta, so will have to coordinate.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
There's been a lot of talk about folk getting together on Sunday evening, but for those who are getting in earlier - usually there are some folk who get together Thursday night. Also each year those that come in on Thurs or Fri am, get together at the hotel's restaurant for lunch on Friday.

I'll get to the hotel in time for lunch on Friday. So perhaps meet up at the restaurant at noon on Friday? I'm hoping to convince the chef to do his yummy 'chicken wild rice soup' on Friday. So post if you're interested in lunch on Friday.

Cheers.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
There's been a lot of talk about folk getting together on Sunday evening, but for those who are getting in earlier - usually there are some folk who get together Thursday night. Also each year those that come in on Thurs or Fri am, get together at the hotel's restaurant for lunch on Friday.

I'll get to the hotel in time for lunch on Friday. So perhaps meet up at the restaurant at noon on Friday? I'm hoping to convince the chef to do his yummy 'chicken wild rice soup' on Friday. So post if you're interested in lunch on Friday.

Cheers.
Sharon
As every year I had planned to be there by 2 pM. Will try to get there by 12 noon.
See you there.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
I am game for a dinner at Shelby Campbell's Thursday night... ^
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:43 am

Thoughts & tips for those attending the Chicago Seminar Event for the first time...

Thoughts & tips for those attending the Chicago Seminar Event for the first time...

* Dress casual or biz casual, whichever you prefer/feel most comfortable in. It's long days/nights.

* Layer or have a lightweight sweater or jacket in case it gets cold or if you're wearing it, can take off if it gets too hot. This applies to both inside & outside temps.

* Realize that you're not the dumbest person in the room when it comes to travel, and also odds are you're not the smartest. The range of knowledge is quite wide in a group of 500, but sometimes it's easy to feel intimidated. Also know some people exaggerate when they discuss their status, tricks, tips.

* Take a deep breath & also realize you're not going to remember everything. When there is so much information shared in such a short period of time, it can be a bit overwhelming (understatement). If you can get one good tip out of each session you're ahead of the game.

* Take notes, whether it's via paper, laptop, iPad, smartphone, whatever. You won't remember everything if you try to just do it mentally. If you're attending with someone or you meet someone who will be in a different session, make arrangements to swap notes after the event.

* Go to the hotel restaurant/bar in the evenings, even if you don't drink. You're surrounded by a few hundred like-minded individuals so even if you don't know anyone you have something in common, so ask to sit with others & feel free to join in with the others. Don't just head back to your room after the sessions are over, as it's in the hallways, bar & restaurant that good tips/conversations occur/friendships are made. You don't have to close down the bar (although some have been known to do that!), but stop by for a while to meet/chat/eat/drink.

* Even if you're an introvert, do ask if you can join others and chat. I know it can be difficult to do, but you'll benefit by doing so. Some FTers will find this hard to believe because I'm pretty out-going/gregarious, but I am shy & it is hard for me to reach out/ask if I can join a group when I don't know others so I sympathize. But again, the thing to remember is that you all have something in common - travel. You might want to think of a few ice-breaker questions in advance. Or you might want to eavesdrop on conversations & if you find one of interest, just join in.

* And yes, to the veterans, reach out to others & invite them to join you. We were all newbies once.

* Just acknowledge that the chairs are uncomfortable (misery loves company) & with 500 attendees and a full hotel, the internet might run slow. Meals aren't as bad as everyone makes out - and the fact so many get served in such a short period of time is amazing. Remember, you don't fly for the food/you're not attending the event for the food either.

* Start checking out forums on Flyertalk. You'll get lots of good information at the CSE, but there is a lot more knowledge in the various airline, hotel, manufactured spend forums on Flyertalk & you can access it 24/7/365.

* One last thing - don't forget to buy lots of charity raffle tickets from me or my volunteers. We've got great prizes, are supporting 3 wonderful charities, and we accept credit cards as well as cash.

Have fun & see everyone next weekend!
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:05 am

Hotel shuttle info to/from ORD

Hotel Shuttle Info

The shuttle leaves the hotel to go to ORD on the hour. It goes from ORD to the hotel on the half hour. You pick it up at ORD at the hotel/shuttle bus stop section @ door #2.

Cheers.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:14 am

Charity Raffle, Donations & Volunteers!

Charity Raffle/Chicago Seminar Event

Wow - time flies! Looking forward to seeing several hundred miles/points junkies in a week! And I'm sure you all are looking forward to me saying Friday through Sunday, Ge-e-t your charity raffle tickets, ge-e-t your charity raffle tickets!

Prizes

Once again we'll have great prizes such as free hotel nights, Kindles & more! One of the prizes this year will be all the meeting planner points earned for meals and rooms booked thru the links provided for this seminar event. Last year it was 146,000 PC points. Tres cool! ^

Credit Cards & Cash

Yes we will accept credit cards*, so those using credit cards will get miles/points. So polish up those cards & figure out which ones you need to spend $$ on to earn your sign-up bonuses .

In addition, we also accept US cash. We no longer accept foreign currency since so many switched to credit cards & the small amount of foreign currency collected reduced the amount donated to charity after we paid conversion fees to US currency.

Remember, the more you donate the more tickets you get & the more that goes to charity!

What if you won't be at the actual drawing Sunday morning?

For those who won't be at the actual raffle - whether to sleeping in from Saturday night's revelry or who have to catch a flight - never fear. We've got you covered! You can still donate and we'll write your Flyertalk handle or cell number on the tickets. If your ticket/handle/cell # gets pulled for a prize, I'll contact you via PM (if you are registered on Flyertalk) or cell phone to arrange shipment of said prize post-event. For those who are unable to attend the seminar event itself but would still like to donate/be entered into the charity raffle drawing, PM me.

If you would like to donate a prize to the charity raffle

If you have something you would like to donate to the charity raffle as a prize, please PM me asap! Last year people donated AA & UA Systemwide upgrades, airline lounge passes, clothing w/ airline logos, gift cards, etc.

Volunteers needed to help w/ raffle ticket sales

Yes I'll need volunteers to help w/ ticket sales and/or distributing prizes on Sunday. Volunteers do not miss any sessions, as sales occur in between sessions. If you're interested in volunteering w/ charity raffle whether w/ ticket sales or handing out prizes, PM me asap!

The charities

We pick 3 great charities each year, and monies raised are divided between them. The charities are Airline Ambassadors International
(www.airlineamb.org), The Independence Fund (http://independencefund.org/), and the Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund (http://www.dahlfund.org/)

You all totally rock!

We owe it all to you, our generous travel junkie attendees. Each year we've beat the previous record of what was donated. Let the FT Chicago Seminar Event Charity Raffle tradition continue!

* Hopefully this year I'll get the Chase Sapphire card to swipe smoothly so I don't have to yell HOWIE each time!

Cheers.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Hurricane

thehowieee & Ingy

Hope you all are safe & sound as you get pounded by the hurricane.
Hunke down, we will need you in ten days !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.