Reload this Page >

Mommy Points - Chase Affiliate Links Ending

Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tegridy Elite

http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...-site-updates/

This site is still pretty much just me (two kids) and a laptop, and that comes with it’s pros and cons. Inability to really scale is a con, and in this case it more or less means that effective Thursday afternoon there will no longer be Chase affiliate links on this site. There’s no bad blood, just business decisions that get made along the way. I’m sharing this with you because many of you have been so generous over the years to choose to use our affiliate links when applying for a credit card. I was honored that a “big bank” like Chase would partner with a little site like this four years ago…and I still am.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very interesting. I wonder if Chase is starting to weed out the affiliates.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by josephstern
Very interesting. I wonder if Chase is starting to weed out the affiliates.
There is little "starting" about it so much as continuing to have conversion minimums. The banks do not want to waste their compliance time on a site which doesn't deliver a return in the form of sufficient new customers. And it has been that way for a while now.

Sucks for Mommy Points, of course, but hard to be too surprised that it happens from time to time.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:24 pm

I guess once you can't sell the Sapphire anymore, game is over
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by sbm12
There is little "starting" about it so much as continuing to have conversion minimums. The banks do not want to waste their compliance time on a site which doesn't deliver a return in the form of sufficient new customers. And it has been that way for a while now.

Sucks for Mommy Points, of course, but hard to be too surprised that it happens from time to time.
It's much more complicated than just quotas.
But this is definitely part of a trend, nothing new.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The phrase I am hearing more and more these days from companies I discuss partnerships with is 'lifetime value'.

We (ie the FT audience) generally do not offer good lifetime value because we are 'gamers' and will move on to the next deal. That is a problem when the company loses money on the initial sale.

It is all about going after the mainstream audience these days, which is the rationale behind Inside Flyer.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The poor little me attitude is amusing given how successful her entire Mommy Points blog business has been and how fast it grew.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:58 am

yeah no kidding, where was that same talk of being small when Chase did partner with her. and whatever other banks that still do. where was the talk about being small when she was featured on Nightline or whatever else media channel.

anyways, the real issue is what is up with Chase -- they arent gonna hit their numbers even on a big site with how strict they've become in approving new accts. huge loss for em, if the overall goal is market share. perhaps they think they are already there and thus cutting back affiliations? either way cant wait for the old Chase to come back around these parts soon.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
"Nothing will change in the blog" ------------------> expect to see A LOT less posts selling Chase credit cards
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:25 am
Suspended

So sick of hearing, "I'm just a girl with a laptop." Why not go out and get a desktop if that makes you feel better? I'm sure you can afford it mommy points.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:44 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The poor little me attitude is amusing given how successful her entire Mommy Points blog business has been and how fast it grew.
It's a return to her roots: just a simple mom trying to travel with rugrats.

There's gold in them thar hills too.

My company sponsors a couple of mommy bloggers in return for focusing on our product. Mommies are influential purchase deciders. @:-)
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by HouFly
the real issue is what is up with Chase -- they arent gonna hit their numbers even on a big site with how strict they've become in approving new accts. huge loss for em, if the overall goal is market share
It's not anymore.
This is:
Originally Posted by Raffles
The phrase I am hearing more and more these days from companies I discuss partnerships with is 'lifetime value'.

We (ie the FT audience) generally do not offer good lifetime value because we are 'gamers' and will move on to the next deal. That is a problem when the company loses money on the initial sale.

It is all about going after the mainstream audience these days, which is the rationale behind Inside Flyer.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:48 am

We're probably seeing the beginning of the end of affiliate-link marketing by the big banks, at least on travel blogs. It's reached the point of bottom-fishing.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetAway
We're probably seeing the beginning of the end of affiliate-link marketing by the big banks, at least on travel blogs. It's reached the point of bottom-fishing.
There are ways to still make a ton of money in the blog world other than credit card links.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:59 pm

What would you say are the top 3 or 5 ways to make a ton of money?

Originally Posted by TMM1982
There are ways to still make a ton of money in the blog world other than credit card links.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.