Go Back   > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 12, 16, 6:43 am   #46
  
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 2,686
"Nothing will change on the blog" -------------> Just a lot less Chase card coverage and links.
gpapadop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 6:56 am   #47
Suspended
  
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 8,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
"Nothing will change on the blog" -------------> Just a lot less Chase card coverage and links.
TMM1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 7:39 am   #48
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
  
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 33,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
She includes a link to the [Ongoing offers] Now 80K points, free night, AF not waived, Marriott Premier Visa FlyerTalk thread that contains not only application links but also discussions on the card/offers.
Isn't that exactly what the angry readers advocated for years ago?
oliver2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 7:52 am   #49
Original Poster
  
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Programs: Mahalo Rewards
Posts: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Isn't that exactly what the angry readers advocated for years ago?
Yep...the link takes you to the thread with the direct CC links in the Wiki and gives credit/link to FlyerTalk. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.
84fiero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 9:57 am   #50
Suspended
  
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 8,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Yep...the link takes you to the thread with the direct CC links in the Wiki and gives credit/link to FlyerTalk. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.
If she would have done this from the start that would be one thing. But she only made the switch after Chase pulled her affiliate revenue. So it's disingenuous on her part.
TMM1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 10:53 am   #51
  
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Posts: 997
In what alternate universe is doing the right thing "disingenuous"?

In my universe, doing the right thing is just what it sounds like -- doing the right thing.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Feb 12, 16 at 11:23 am
FallenPlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 1:15 pm   #52
Community Director
  
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 27,685
She linked to this FlyerTalk thread. And there's a subset of people who criticize? **scratches head in confusion**
SanDiego1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 2:10 pm   #53
  
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North America
Posts: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Isn't that exactly what the angry readers advocated for years ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Yep...the link takes you to the thread with the direct CC links in the Wiki and gives credit/link to FlyerTalk. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenPlat View Post
In what alternate universe is doing the right thing "disingenuous"?

In my universe, doing the right thing is just what it sounds like -- doing the right thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
She linked to this FlyerTalk thread. And there's a subset of people who criticize? **scratches head in confusion**
Linking to Flyertalk is not the new motto for this blog. Affiliate links are being pumped for other cards where a commission is available. MommyPoints chose not to link (even once) to the Marriott offer to make it 'easier' for her readers.


As posted earlier ... an example of another (recent) blog post where a commission is available:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 View Post
Right. Compare that to a post 2 days ago about the (targeted) AmEx Plat 100k offer... http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...num-cardmatch/

I count at least 3 direct (affiliate) links to creditcards.com CardMatch, encouraging people to click-through to see if they qualify. Completely different tone for commission vs no commission. Petty.
If this isn't a double-standard based on commission or no-commission, then what is it?
CodeAdam10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 2:53 pm   #54
  
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Posts: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 View Post
Linking to Flyertalk is not the new motto for this blog. Affiliate links are being pumped for other cards where a commission is available. MommyPoints chose not to link (even once) to the Marriott offer to make it 'easier' for her readers.


As posted earlier ... an example of another (recent) blog post where a commission is available:



If this isn't a double-standard based on commission or no-commission, then what is it?
You can get into some trouble linking directly to a credit card offer without an affiliate agreement in place with them. It makes no sense to link to an offer unless it's your link simply due to the number of disclosures and requirements they hold you to.
bthotugigem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 2:56 pm   #55
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
  
Join Date: May 1998
Location: 7 minutes from DCA
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 42,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 View Post
If this isn't a double-standard based on commission or no-commission, then what is it?

I am shocked, SHOCKED, to learn that bloggers care more about money than integrity!!!!

kokonutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 3:15 pm   #56
Community Director
  
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 27,685
I respect her for writing about a credit card offer that truly is good for readers without any personal gain.
SanDiego1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 3:21 pm   #57
  
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I respect her for writing about a credit card offer that truly is good for readers without any personal gain.
Erm, she does get a commission if they follow her instructions in bold at the beginning of the post,
"If you wish to support the site while adding a credit card to your wallet, you can view available offers by issuing banks by heading here. Your support is greatly appreciated."
ctownflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 3:23 pm   #58
Community Director
  
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 27,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
Erm, she does get a commission if they follow her instructions in bold at the beginning of the post,
"If you wish to support the site while adding a credit card to your wallet, you can view available offers by issuing banks by heading here. Your support is greatly appreciated."
And when you follow that link, there are no Chase offers.
SanDiego1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 16, 3:40 pm   #59
Suspended
  
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 8,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenPlat View Post
In what alternate universe is doing the right thing "disingenuous"?

In my universe, doing the right thing is just what it sounds like -- doing the right thing.
She's only doing "the right thing" after Chase told her to buzz off. In other words, she's being vindictive as she's not doing "the right thing" with respect to other banks.
TMM1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 16, 4:50 pm   #60
  
Join Date: Jun 2011
Programs: DL, Amex MR
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM1982 View Post
She's only doing "the right thing" after Chase told her to buzz off. In other words, she's being vindictive as she's not doing "the right thing" with respect to other banks.
+1 When Chase was paying a boatload of money for Ink cards, she even suggested people to sign up with a "dog sitting" business. Now I hear crickets about the Ink cards. They somehow stopped existing.

If that's not disingenuous, I don't know what it is then.
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top