Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Loose EK routing rules using AS miles (outed by blog)

Loose EK routing rules using AS miles (outed by blog)

Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jms_uk
And somehow in that article they forgot to mention that on this First class ticket he flew [at least] 6 hours in coach and bunch of segments in business.
Also, the 60,000 F award does not exist. It is either 75,000 or 100,000 miles one-way to Asia or Europe.
I start to wonder if this Sam guy is a liar.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by CDKing
Sometimes you get gifts from airlines you enjoy it and move on not blab about it for all the world to see. FT is too mainstream to post all these gifts on. This is why we can't have nice things
That article was on my yahoo home page for about 72 hours.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
That article was on my yahoo home page for about 72 hours.
dozens of people must have seen it
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:50 pm

Also note that the trip was taken back in March. The website is trying to gather a following. It wants to encourage users to sign up for specific cards after they enter in data about where they'd like to travel. It seems like a more elaborate tool to push credit card sign ups. The website also wants you to input your budget and what not. Guessing this data could then be sold to make even more money. Much like the MMS and TPG apps.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:59 pm
Suspended

On top of the fraud indications regarding the mileage requirement, the award chart to/from Australia for EK does not exist!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Also, the 60,000 F award does not exist. It is either 75,000 or 100,000 miles one-way to Asia or Europe.
I start to wonder if this Sam guy is a liar.
$60,000 he is saying would be the cash price equivalent. He disclosed in the write up that he spent 100k each way which is in line for USA to Asia.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
It most certainly was nothing more than a blogger wanting/demanding/paying for attention.

Besides my superman airline job, I also am a correspondent for **********.com . We've had a few paid advertorials - and I've even been paid by ******** to write a story on them comparing A380 and 777 business class. While I had 100% editorial control over the article, I was required to hit certain points, which I did. I can also tell you that ** was not overly thrilled when I said I preferred the 777 business class to the A380 for the fact the 777 had more consistent service, same FA's, etc. I did tout the bar and shower for F, but felt the 777 was a better product. ** then rolled back a bunch of their planned "linking".. which is what this guy did.

thankfully **********.com doesn't rely 100% on credit card links, but other links and the fact we also have a ****** service, ***** planning service, and ****** following service. So that pays for the blog, which gets heavy attention from ALL the major news sources and ***** gets asked to speak or attend many, many airline and industry events.

(I edited out names to protect the innocent and make sure I'm not pushing **********.com on here!)
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
On top of the fraud indications regarding the mileage requirement, the award chart to/from Australia for EK does not exist!
Yes, you cannot book a Mileage Plan ticket on EK originating in Melbourne.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:03 pm

Here is a copy of his itinerary:
https://cdn.topmiles.com/images/mytrip/USD300-proof.jpg

He spends no longer than 24 hours in each city except for his stopover in Dubai.

Both tickets look like they were originally booked and then had changes made. So he is actually lying when he said he got these itineraries by playing around on their website.

Theory: He called in to book a basic award ticket (Asia-USA & USA-Asia). He then called back to get segments added. He then called in several times to ask for segments to be added or perhaps knew someone that is an Alaska agent who could make changes to the itinerary once it was created by someone else?

Notice the change in amount of taxes due. The original was ~$47 and the new was ~$82.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yes, you cannot book a Mileage Plan ticket on EK originating in Melbourne.
His first segment is SIN-MEL. There is NO Asia-Australia award possible. This is the first indication of fake itinerary/photopaint shop.
And what idiot would publish both the confirmation code and family name?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Photoshopped.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:22 pm

His first segment is SIN-MEL. There is NO Asia-Australia award possible. This is the first indication of fake itinerary/photopaint shop.
And what idiot would publish both the confirmation code and family name?

The loophole would be booking a Asia-USA ticket and then calling back and adding in segments to get that to work. If you got the right agent to preform the search and the system allowed it... it really wouldn't matter what the website shows. The main rule is that you either have to start or end your travel in the USA.

The itinerary was Photoshopped. I did notice that the image of the Alaska Air card at the bottom of the page was cut off and the personal info was covered, but there is no indication that he faked the itinerary.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
His first segment is SIN-MEL.
Read that post by TheBOSman again, but this time, very carefully, with attention paid to ALL the words and what was said and NOT said.

If you think things like this aren't possible, you obviously have never booked an AV or US award ticket with similar kinds of crazy routings to get around rules or exploiting loopholes. For instance, back in the day, people would use the fact that Russia was considered in Asia on the US award chart at the time to get ICN-FRA-DME-FRA-ICN in LH F for 40,000 miles. US didn't have any maximum permitted mileage on award itineraries at the time (so I've seen awards issued JFK-FRA-JNB(stop)-PER(dest)-SIN-HKG-ICN-JFK, for instance).

Is the penny dropping yet?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 29, 2015 at 5:27 pm
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Read that post by TheBOSman again, but this time, very carefully, with attention paid to ALL the words and what was said and NOT said.

If you think things like this aren't possible, you obviously have never booked an AV or US award ticket with similar kinds of crazy routings to get around rules. For instance, back in the day, people would use the fact that Russia was considered in Asia on the US award chart at the time to get ICN-FRA-DME-FRA-ICN in LH F for 40,000 miles. US didn't have any maximum permitted miles on awards at the time.

Is the penny dropping yet?
There ain't no penny.
If I call Alaska and started feeding the rep segment by segment starting with SIN-MEL the rep will refuse.
If I start with SIN-DXB-MIL-JFK the rep will oblige. But if I try to change SIN-DXB to SIN-MEL-XYZ-DXB why should the rep oblige?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There ain't no penny.
If I call Alaska and started feeding the rep segment by segment starting with SIN-MEL the rep will refuse.
If I start with SIN-DXB-MIL-JFK the rep will oblige. But if I try to change SIN-DXB to SIN-MEL-XYZ-DXB why should the rep oblige?
Are you quite certain of that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.