Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

My $60,000 Trip Around The World In Emirates First Class For $300

Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:16 am
Original Poster

I saw this article in Business Insider after MrPickles posted it in one of his feeds. (The website claims the article has been viewed ~8 million times in 24 hours) http://www.businessinsider.com/man-g...ophole-2015-10

Claims made:
$60,000 trip w/ Emirates in first class for $300

Routes:

Singapore - NYC

Houston - Singapore

The author does not go into any detail beyond that he used a few loopholes while using Alaska miles and that one of the loopholes no longer exists. He posted a screenshot of how he got to the $60,000 figure (screenshot). That one is pretty easy to poke some holes in that he is showing each segments value. He also posted the receipt from Alaska here.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Is the "loophole" that he talked the Alaska agent into doing a manual override? I remember having to ask EK to use the "old system" when trying to get inventory that Alaska could not see, but I've never seen an agent that would allow routing through the pacific when there is a direct SIN-DXB flight.

I'm also confused on the loophole that was used that allowed him to circle back from Auckland/Mauritius/Rome.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Fortunately the average reader does not have the time, miles or knowledge to pull this off. Unfortunately this guy bragged like a ding-dong and his fellow frequent flyers can not only not enjoy this trick too but will surely feel the belt continue to tighten around the already devalued and restricted world of redeeming miles.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
It answers the "why do bloggers review the same products" question though. There's an appetite to read stories like this.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Should be titled, "My $60,000 Boondoggle for Publicity In Emirates First Class For $300" And the story is now featured in that rag the Daily Mail. At least he didn't call it The Hobby.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...tes-class.html
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
It answers the "why do bloggers review the same products" question though. There's an appetite to read stories like this.
This is a very unique situation that even made me want to read the story. Exploiting this loophole to this level... I can't think of a blogger that has done something similar to this recently without committing fraud. If this guy's story checks out the airline contacted him and were okay with it.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
This is a very unique situation that even made me want to read the story. Exploiting this loophole to this level... I can't think of a blogger that has done something similar to this recently without committing fraud. If this guy's story checks out the airline contacted him and were okay with it.
Yeah but then there was the [bad word removed by author]er who stole some of my images and paragraphs for a story that went just as viral last year about nothing but a regular award trip in SQ R.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:31 pm
Suspended

A 60,000 F or even J award does not exist at all.

After checking with the airline, Business Insider can confirm that the booking was legitimate.
http://www.businessinsider.com/man-g...ophole-2015-10

Yeah right. Alaska is going to discuss private passenger data with a newspaper.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
A 60,000 F or even J award does not exist at all.

http://www.businessinsider.com/man-g...ophole-2015-10

Yeah right. Alaska is going to discuss private passenger data with a newspaper.
Also, he is making up some information. The $60,000 figure is based upon the cost of segments priced individually which is the first method of inflating the figure. At least one of the flights was in economy (FCO-DXB) and he swapped out the price of that segment for first inflating the cost again.

At least 4-5 segments were NOT in first.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Also, he is making up some information. The $60,000 figure is based upon the cost of segments priced individually which is the first method of inflating the figure. At least one of the flights was in economy (FCO-DXB) and he swapped out the price of that segment for first inflating the cost again.

At least 4-5 segments were NOT in first.

The biggest fakes are the legs to/from Australia. The EK award chart for that region does not exist! You can't possibly book it at all!!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

The biggest fakes are the legs to/from Australia. The EK award chart for that region does not exist! You can't possibly book it at all!!
He's not originating or ending in Australia. This would be part of one of the "loopholes".
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I have heard tell that you can find a OZ segment on EK through AS, but first you need a hand full of four leaf clovers. Seriously, it has been done.

My issue with the story is the total disregard for the MPM rules. AS has their multi-city page set up differently than other airlines. You can't just keep adding segments. So IF this was really two one way tickets, which I do not think it was, it would have had to be done manually which would never happen.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:13 pm
Suspended

He's not originating or ending in Australia. This would be part of one of the "loopholes".
His first segment is SIN-MEL. Why would AS allow that??
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:16 pm
Suspended

He also posted the receipt from Alaska here.
His so-called "receipt" is clearly photoshopped as the top half of the AS Visa card is cut off.

The taxes+fees also do not add up to $300.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:46 pm

what a ****

In my eyes, JAL still has a better value for emirates, unless of course you don't value your time (except a few routes) and/or enjoy destroying the best miles programs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.