Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Need more readers? Advertise on the competition!

Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I found this pretty entertaining this afternoon. I was updating some code on my tools site (http://wandr.me) and saw an unfamiliar ad:

Clicked on it and was taken through to the TPG site and a post from yesterday chock full of cc link goodness. That part wasn't the surprise. This little nugget in the URL was:

Yup...TPG is specifically targeting my website for his ads. Based on what I think the CPC payout to me is I'm somewhat inclined to leave the ad there. I think he's paying a premium for my users.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Clicking on your own ads, tut tut :-)

I think TPG (in the corporate sense) is feeling the squeeze a bit. For a few weeks we had large numbers of totally random travel stories ('best hotels in Nice') which were designed purely for newbie SEO. However, the conversion was probably low and it annoyed the core readers.

I have seen a noticeable switch back to what we would loosely call 'miles and points stuff' recently.

The ad is a little weird, though, in that it doesn't actually promote the blog itself (which still likes to give the impression of being a general chat about miles and points with some cards thrown in) but goes right for the jugular!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
Clicking on your own ads, tut tut :-)
I was genuinely interested in the product being advertised.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
TPG getting hammered in the SEO as well as bow tie. Google giving the smack down on fluff content and credit card companies wising up to these games and starting to do some SEO of their own. Milevalue getting creamed, not suprisingly since his content has been lackluster.

Desperate times indeed for the titans...

Niche sites like yourselves should be able to weather the storm with a loyal fan base.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yup...TPG is specifically targeting my website for his ads. Based on what I think the CPC payout to me is I'm somewhat inclined to leave the ad there. I think he's paying a premium for my users.
As a regular reader of your blog, I'm glad to know someone is willing to pay a premium for me! I've never been a premium product before!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
TPG getting hammered in the SEO as well as bow tie. Google giving the smack down on fluff content and credit card companies wising up to these games and starting to do some SEO of their own. Milevalue getting creamed, not suprisingly since his content has been lackluster.

Desperate times indeed for the titans...

Niche sites like yourselves should be able to weather the storm with a loyal fan base.

WA is one of the few sites that are on BA that I follow. I actually go directly to his site rather then go thru BA. Maybe we are seeing the beginning of the Fall of the Titans. The cc companies and banks are changing from how they use to hand out bonuses like candy and encouraging churning. Amex is one and done for bonuses and the others are starting to limit. The banks do not need the Titans as much as they use to.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I clicked all around your blog today in my totally un-ad-blocked IE explorer trying to find the ad so I could click on it several times for ya!

Alas, no dice.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I clicked all around your blog today ...
I hope you stopped to read a few bits, too.

I believe the ads are targeted to the tools site, not the blog. Such is life.
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Probably more significant is that the blog isn't used to pay my mortgage. Never was. There is no "storm" to weather, really.

Sure, I'd be happier with a higher CPM and more readers, but I'm not all that worried about it. I still love doing it and it gets me more lucrative gigs elsewhere.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

Probably more significant is that the blog isn't used to pay my mortgage. Never was. There is no "storm" to weather, really.

Sure, I'd be happier with a higher CPM and more readers, but I'm not all that worried about it. I still love doing it and it gets me more lucrative gigs elsewhere.
And that's why I read it. I have learned more from you about travel, not transportation, then all the Titans put together. Your reports on places like Slovenia and Laos to name just two inspired me to visit. You do what you do because you love it and not for the money and it shows. I got turned off the Titans when the cc pimping started and the tone of their blogs changed. I love that TPG is advertising on your tools site and I love that site, too.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:13 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

I read you every day. You're the only one anymore.

As for tools, I just downloaded the UA fare bucket extension a couple days ago. It rocks.

You are the only blogger that consistently provides real actual value. ^
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I read you every day. You're the only one anymore.

As for tools, I just downloaded the UA fare bucket extension a couple days ago. It rocks.

You are the only blogger that consistently provides real actual value. ^

+1

I clicked around the tools site but alas the ad did not come up...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.