Wiki Posts
Search

Why engage with the Perez Hilton Forum? [split off from VFTW discussion thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:20 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by nsx
Good catch. We are supposed to use the first person plural!
Deals 'we' love!@:-)^
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by stackm
Do you have a recommend forum to discuss the negative aspects of this lifestyle? I don't think it's unreasonable to point out that this amount of flying, boozing, and a diet of sundaes/cookies/processed snacks will age you...

Most first class passengers look like they may collapse from a heart attack at any moment. At least VFTW looks decent in a pajama selfie.

With so much overlap of content on Boarding Area it is surprising no one discusses the health issues of flying 100000+ miles a year.
FlyerTalk's got you covered: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...h-fitness-679/

I agree: it's tough to stay fit and travel a lot. Gary's got it even tougher because in addition to his FC sundae/cookie obsession, he's a foodie.

As for Ben, when I was 25 I could drink a six pack of beer a day and never gain a pound. Champagne is far less carby. :-:

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I would like to thank you for exquisitely proving my point about much of this forum being way too interested in being personal and dishing out snark. Only took 13 posts and a little over a day to see it in once again this thread, but hey, I knew someone could deliver the goods. Fat jokes, always the sign of enlightened intellectual criticism.
People aren't making fat jokes. Simply observations and some concern expressed.

Frankly i think Jeff Smisek looks creepy. Like a kid-toucher. The Thought Leader in Points and Miles Blogs, etc. would never say that about any of our illustrious bloggers. ^
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Indeed. And I suppose that since I have been on the TB for several years and even the VP of the TB, my FF expert CV ranks right up there with the Thought Leader's!
Originally Posted by bevoinva
You can be known as the Thought Leader in Bloggers
And there's the experience selling out and ignoring the good of followers/readers for the sake of personal gain, too. Hypocrisy is awesome.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Ok, let's then not mince words here.

First, and I'm sorry I have to say this again, but just because it's in Rolling Stone absolutely, positively, affirmatively does not make it ok to repost or repeat on Flyer Talk. Saying that it somehow is ok -- and however often you say so in however many different ways -- simply doesn't change that. Not now, not ever.

Second, and more importantly, we've all somehow managed to degenerate here to the point of discussing whether a particular blogger did (or did not) get a particular kind of sexual service in a plane.

Think about that for a moment. Really. Please.

Defending any of this, any of it at all, on the grounds that legitimate criticism is liberally intermixed with the salacious, that the blogs in question are not exactly eleemosynary enterprises, and that anyone (including me) is free to stop reading this little corner of Flyer Talk is simply astonishing. That's the defense? Truly?

Some things, in the end, speak for themselves.
I guess I'm not sure why I bother to defend the folks you're referring to since they're mostly not speaking for themselves, but so be it.

If we said that every forum or thread with some odd or uncouth particular posts should be shut down, then pretty much every forum on here would be closed. It absolutely is relevant whether a thread is totally full of objectionable content or if there are merely some posts that are such (and the remedy for alleged improper posts is to alert a mod, not continue berating folks on a whole separate thread!)

Why do you think Ben had those items published in RS if he didn't want the public discussing them? Is it not relevant to discuss a blogger's ethics (banned from UA for abuse) how he portrays his reviews (being recognized by airline and hotel staff v. being an anonymous reviewer); soliciting readers to pay for his Etihad flight when he's wealthy (and also criticizes a church for seeking to buy a business jet)?

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Evidently I still haven't been clear enough.

Flyer Talk is not a tabloid. Wishing it were so, and pointing to publications that are, doesn't change that. Not now or ever.

The fact that some prominent self-promoting bloggers might indeed be "public figures" doesn't somehow magically change the Flyer Talk rules and open the door to anything-goes discussion, however personal or nasty.

Saying that the opposite is the case doesn't make it so.
You're quite clear. The fact that some people disagree with your opinion doesn't mean you're not clear, or that those people are unable to comprehend you.

Where has anyone suggested "anything goes"?

Actually being public figures does matter apparently. Have you read the extremely negative (to put it politely) comments throughout FlyerTalk on Jeff Smisek, Richard Anderson, and similar (not to mention the discussion of public figures in OMNI)? Or even non-public figures when it comes to stereotypes of obese people and others that it's still not politically incorrect to pick on? Why is it OK for those to stand but not for discussion of factual information brought up in public by these bloggers?

As for not being a tabloid, have you ventured into OMNI (where FT ToS allegedly still apply)?:

Yes, I did. Haven't commented on it here before because... well... FallenPlat is right. (Plus I think there's potential fallout from the RS interview, given what I'm about to say).

You're missing the point. FTers are deciding based on that RS article, let's fire up the ol' Google and do some public records searches, because.... um, reasons.

How absolutely creepy. Apparently there are people here I shouldn't meet in a dark alley.

No, not everyone is guilty of being personal. It happens enough here and persistently enough over time that it's worthy of comment. And I suspect it's quite deliberate, in the "attractive nuisance" sense. Gotta get those posts and pageviews...
Is it OK for the Thought Leader to research an FT member's activities outside FT and post about them on his blog? And to let stand in his blog comments such things as calling that FT'er a "troll", "dbag", etc?

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-airlines-for/

As for salacious how about OMAAT using the Mile High Club for click bait posts on at least two occasions?

Last edited by 84fiero; Jul 19, 2015 at 9:26 am Reason: fix link
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Hypocrisy!? How salacious!! Tabloidrific!

The Thought Leader in Points and Miles blogs etc APPROVES! ^
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
From the guidelines thread, the following is fair game for this forum:

• Blogs focused on miles and points. Discussion is permitted on the blog but not the blogger. Discussion of the blogger and his or her character, e.g. ethics and morals, will be deleted.
• Websites focused on miles and points. There are sites in German, Swedish, and Chinese at a minimum. There are airline focused and country focused sites in English.
• Miles and points seminars
• Miles and points award shows
• Events and excursions focused on the miles community where there is benefit to the organizer, whether points, hotel rooms, or sponsorship money.
Particularly recently I've noticed a shift (especially with VFTW and OMAAT) to focus as much (if not more so) on the blogger rather than their content, which is unfortunate, divisive, against the stated guidelines, and makes this forum an unfortunate place to visit. That the "really great content" thread is almost falling off the front page is sad to me.

I wish we would highlight what is great in the points and miles blog community and not worry about the redundant stuff (for which FT is not the intended audience anyway).

Last edited by bthotugigem05; Jul 21, 2015 at 10:27 am
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:41 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
That the "really great content" thread is almost falling off the front page is sad to me.
Yes, it's sad. More accurately, it's pathetic. The evolution reminds me of that of The Discovery Channel: moving from great to good to a complete joke.

On the bright side, our better bloggers are less than halfway through this evolution. There's still time to reverse course. If the banks cut off the credit card referral money, it could happen.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Particularly recently I've noticed a shift (especially with VFTW and OMAAT) to focus as much (if not more so) on the blogger rather than their content, which is unfortunate, divisive, against the stated guidelines, and makes this forum an unfortunate place to visit. That the "really great content" thread is almost falling off the front page is sad to me.
Exactly.

I think I'm about done here. I tried taking a few days off. Looked at what's been updated (oh, look, we're psychoanalyzing bloggers without a license). I don't think I've missed anything.

Incidentally, I stay very far away from OMNI, because if religion and politics are guaranteed trollbait topics as well as the obvious candidates for people to be jerks to each other in discourse.

This forum looks like much the same. Ta.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 21, 2015 at 6:51 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:02 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
(oh, look, we're psychoanalyzing bloggers without a license)
Yeah, that's pretty far beyond any reasonable line. Let he who is without obsession cast the first stone...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
(oh, look, we're psychoanalyzing bloggers without a license). I don't think I've missed anything.
Well it seems fitting, since one blogger solicited medical advice from Facebook

and weighed in with unlicensed psychological and medical opinion on the FA Suing Airport Because She Can't Have Sex Anymore
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by nsx
Yes, it's sad. More accurately, it's pathetic. The evolution reminds me of that of The Discovery Channel: moving from great to good to a complete joke.

On the bright side, our better bloggers are less than halfway through this evolution. There's still time to reverse course. If the banks cut off the credit card referral money, it could happen.
Well, when I was first exposed the Discovery channel in the 1990s I already felt it was a joke compared what the BBC showed on their satellite channel in Asia. The bad Touch very aptly highlighted their sensationalist approach to wild life documentary film making.

Anyway speaking of shark week, what you see now is indeed some bloggers jumping the shark: ad revenue is going down, and the CC pumping is past its zenith. I'm really curious what the masterminds behind the miles & points blogosphere have up their sleeve to survive the upcoming climate change (or meteorite, depending if you are a intrinsic gradualist or extrinsic catastrophist).

Just blogging good content to a decent following isn't going to pay the bills in the future. Not that it paid previously either...
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well, when I was first exposed the Discovery channel in the 1990s I already felt it was a joke compared what the BBC showed on their satellite channel in Asia. The bad Touch very aptly highlighted their sensationalist approach to wild life documentary film making.

Anyway speaking of shark week, what you see now is indeed some bloggers jumping the shark: ad revenue is going down, and the CC pumping is past its zenith. I'm really curious what the masterminds behind the miles & points blogosphere have up their sleeve to survive the upcoming climate change (or meteorite, depending if you are a intrinsic gradualist or extrinsic catastrophist).

Just blogging good content to a decent following isn't going to pay the bills in the future. Not that it paid previously either...
Oh no, what will happen to "The Hobby"???
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Just blogging good content to a decent following isn't going to pay the bills in the future.
Oh no, you don't say!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.