The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
DOT decision update posted, and he's still bitter about it while claiming a "you win some, you lose some" I-don't-really-care attitude. It's pretty obvious though he's not happy with the decision.

So many of these bloggers are coming across as outright entitled and giving barely concealed advice on "here's how to break the rules," then whining to their masses about spilled milk when it backfires.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/02/the-...fare-mistakes/
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:30 pm

TPG: We never accept free flights [merged discussions]

Are You a Writer or Editor with a Points and Miles Obsession? Join TPG!

Wondering if TPG will start having as many writers as BA? The comments of this post are quickly pointing out that even though they are looking for someone has a love for "points and grammar" there seem to be a lot of typos in the ad/article.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
typos in the ad/article.
which would be why they are looking for editors?

heh - see if applicants include edited TPG posts?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 10, 2015 at 2:18 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:43 pm

I know people at Buzzfeed pretty much get paid to surf Reddit all day and steal content. Maybe this job would be to surf the blogs and Flyertalk, steal/borrow/enhance content, and then post it to TPG?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:01 pm

I know people at Buzzfeed pretty much get paid to shamelessly surf Reddit all day and steal content. Maybe this job would be to surf the blogs and Flyertalk, steal/borrow/enhance content, and then post it to TPG?
corrected that for you
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:40 pm

"We pay very well..." Hm, wonder what TPG (or his corporate owner, more like it) thinks is a "well-paid" salary for a blog site?

Disclaimer: I have zero interest in any of these jobs, nor do I personally know anyone who would. I am just being nosy.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
which would be why they are looking for editors?

heh - see if applicants include edited TPG posts?
It is part of the application process

10. A list of three typos in this post
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are You a Writer or Editor with a Points and Miles Obsession? Join TPG!

Wondering if TPG will start having as many writers as BA? The comments of this post are quickly pointing out that even though they are looking for someone has a love for "points and grammar" there seem to be a lot of typos in the ad/article.
You can't apply as it appears you didn't bother to read the entire article:

#fail
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
You can't apply as it appears you didn't bother to read the entire article:

#fail
Even his comments have typos, but you are correct I did not bother to read the whole thing =)
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by LR2013
"We pay very well..." Hm, wonder what TPG (or his corporate owner, more like it) thinks is a "well-paid" salary for a blog site?

Disclaimer: I have zero interest in any of these jobs, nor do I personally know anyone who would. I am just being nosy.
In London, you would be looking at around £28-£30,000 ($45,000) for a 'press release re-writing' journalist job on a small trade magazine.

(Full free healthcare and a guarantee that no-one in your office is carrying a gun is of course part of the Uk package too :-) We also promise that our policemen won't kill you, even if you're not white.)

Not sure if you can command a premium for having miles and points knowledge!

In general travel writing, in fact any sort of trade magazine journalism, is a poorly paid sector, we pay our nanny far more than that.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
In London, you would be looking at around £28-£30,000 ($45,000) for a 'press release re-writing' journalist job on a small trade magazine.

In general travel writing, in fact any sort of trade magazine journalism, is a poorly paid sector, we pay our nanny far more than that.
Raffles, you might have just inadvertently explained to me how the Daily Mail is what it is...!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
I can assure you that an experienced writer who writes for a large publication (at least large in blog land numbers) would/could make significantly more than that.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
My company's social media guy (handles FB and Twitter marketing and writes one blog and edits an outsourced blog) earns ~$65k. I believe he's in his mid to late 20s.

Not a terrible gig for a journalism major in this post-journalism age.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:04 am

TPG: We never accept free flights

Today there was a somewhat interesting post about TPG Editor-in-Chief being confronted about his photography for his "job" during a flight. This was a topic (as referenced in the article) that was covered by Matt over at Upgrd over two years ago.

In the comments section TPG made a bold claim that he nor his staff accepted free flights.

Blog entries citing free flights:
http://thepointsguy.com/2011/11/flig...emier-lax-akl/
http://thepointsguy.com/2011/06/my-i...ghts-on-tokyo/
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:09 am

Looks like he is censoring comments pointing out the he and his staff have taken comps from the travel industry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.