Reload this Page >

Wandering Aramean is now a travel news writer

Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:46 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA

I've long had a great deal of respect and admiration for Seth's approach to blogging: lots of research, original material and no CC pimping. He was the inspiration for this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...l-content.html

So it comes as no surprise to me that he's been tapped to be a contributor to Travel & Leisure, both online and in print, focusing on aviation news and insight. His first article: http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...raft-emissions

It's a natural progression for him and I wish him well. He brings a hell of a lot more credibility to the table than other bloggers who like to go on TV and act like travel experts but have done very little original reporting. I'll certainly be reading his stuff both in the blog and on T+L! ^^^

Congratulations, Seth!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Enjoyed the article!

Best wishes to Seth, and congrats on the steady gig!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Enjoyed the article!

Best wishes to Seth, and congrats on the steady gig!
Indeed so! Good article too.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
-----

Last edited by Clincher; Sep 1, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Way to go Seth. And to think I knew you when. I'm thrilled for you.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
aviation news and insight
NOT 'award travel'
nice !
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
congrats on the steady gig!
Hehe....not quite.

I'm a contributor, writing the occasional story for T&L just like I do for many other outlets. And I've been doing it this way for years, though T&L is certainly the highest profile company I've landed a story with. But I've also had pieces with Fodor's, APEX (web & print), Airways News, Airways Magazine, Runway Girl Network (we won an industry award this week at the Paris Air Show), USA Today, HuffPo and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Thanks for the accolades and I'm very proud of getting this gig, but being a "travel news writer" is not necessarily new.

ETA: This morning is Paris I had the opportunity to interview the Transportation Minister of Indonesia. Turns out most of being a journalist is just showing up and acting like one. http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/06/...fety-concerns/

Last edited by sbm12; Jun 16, 2015 at 6:37 am
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Runway Girl Network (we won an industry award this week at the Paris Air Show)

This morning is Paris I had the opportunity to interview the Transportation Minister of Indonesia. Turns out most of being a journalist is just showing up and acting like one. http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/06/...fety-concerns/
excellent!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
When you get to my age, you'll realise that pretty much anything can be reduced to 'just showing up and acting like one'!

My wife is an SVP in a major bank and literally cannot add two number together if both are greater than 10 ....... But she kept showing up every day and now she is where she is!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
NOT 'award travel'
nice !
^^
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Looking at the crowd at most of the press events I've been to, sbm12 has about 10x the knowledge Especially in the T&L domain. Sadly the problem is the writers write what the outlets want their readers to read. That is the toughest part: dropping nuggets you ferreted out at the press conference because nobody gives a rats behind.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oliver2002
That is the toughest part: dropping nuggets you ferreted out at the press conference because nobody gives a rats behind.
Agreed. I usually end up writing those stories on my own blog because I think they're interesting, even though I know the info appeals to a much, much, much smaller segment of the market. Gotta pay the bills, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.