Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

PH Maldives vs. W Maldives for bloggers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PH Maldives vs. W Maldives for bloggers?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by skunker
You sure about that?
Yes.

How many bloggers do you think have the links versus those who do not?
Old May 2, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
You sure about that?
Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Miles Plus Explorer are all over Boarding Area. Just look at the wiki of this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...rd-offers.html

And the Hyatt card may not have affiliate links now but when it came out, everyone and their mother was pushing it.
Do you know how many miles & points bloggers are out there (not even counting more general travel bloggers who occasionally get into M&P stuff)?

The blogs in that thread, and the blogs that are most often discussed here, are a relative drop in the bucket in terms of "headcount". They may be the most well known and/or successful, but that doesn't mean they constitute "most" bloggers.
Old May 2, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
You guys are missing the point of the OP--why do bloggers go to the PH Maldives instead of other properties in the Maldives.

In the past month three big, well know blogs went to PH Maldives and all three mentioned the Chase Hyatt CC. If you want to nitpick and break down the exact percentage of blogs that do or don't have an affiliation with Chase, be my guest. Who cares if "Joe's Points Blog" doesn't when some of the biggest, most read blogs do.

Moving on...
Old May 2, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bloggers also go to w and conrad and former waldorf - because they are possible via points

its not a new thing
Old May 2, 2015, 9:59 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
bloggers also go to w and conrad and former waldorf - because they are possible via points

its not a new thing
It's not even a new thread! It's late in Kyoto else I'd find and link the other similar thread.

If one wants to go to the Maldives DO NOT follow the bloggers to the crap chain 'resorts'. Make it special at a top resort instead.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
It's not even a new thread! It's late in Kyoto else I'd find and link the other similar thread.

If one wants to go to the Maldives DO NOT follow the bloggers to the crap chain 'resorts'. Make it special at a top resort instead.
except people who read blogs do award travel
Old May 2, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
You guys are missing the point of the OP--why do bloggers go to the PH Maldives instead of other properties in the Maldives.

In the past month three big, well know blogs went to PH Maldives and all three mentioned the Chase Hyatt CC. If you want to nitpick and break down the exact percentage of blogs that do or don't have an affiliation with Chase, be my guest. Who cares if "Joe's Points Blog" doesn't when some of the biggest, most read blogs do.

Moving on...
Sure, but it was your hypothesis that the answer to the OP's question is because:

I believe most bloggers have a relationship with Chase Hyatt CC.
We're just discussing your theory...
Old May 2, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Sure, but it was your hypothesis that the answer to the OP's question is because:

We're just discussing your theory...
I'll edit my theory for the nitpickers:

I believe most blogs that people have actually heard of had a relationship with Chase Hyatt CC. Chase does not have affiliate links for the Hyatt CC now, but used to, which spurred numerous trips to PH Maldives to redeem the 2 free nights. Major blogs are still promoting the Chase Hyatt CC and was mentioned by 3 major blogs that went to the PH in the past couple months.

So, the question is can anyone find a blog of decent size that has been to the PH and doesn't mention a Chase credit card?

Here is the thread that kokonutz was referring to. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...-maldives.html
Old May 2, 2015, 6:56 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
except people who read blogs do award travel
Sure.

But sometimes even we award travel junkies need to stop and do a cost benefit analysis.

In any case the Maldives are played out. I'm eyeing overwater bungalows in the South Pacific....or maybe the Park Hyatt Vendome. (ducking)

As for the OP, my guess is the bloggers all go to the PH (Maldives as well as Vendome) because that's where the other bloggers went. Just like they all post basically the same stuff, parroting even misinformation at times.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Is it really 90k SPG?! So you are giving up 110,000 airline miles per night?!...
Yes, very poor value indeed. I think it would be far better to pay for a better resort and use those SPG points for miles or other hotels which yield better value.

I suppose for some people who have hundreds of thousands of points from business travel it could theoretically make sense to use them at W Maldives if cost avoidance for room rate were more important than redemption value. I could be wrong, but my guess is that most people with that number of points would likely be able to afford a paid stay in the Maldives.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

w maldives is more than $3K/nt over xmas/nye (and easter?) (like many in maldives)
so actually 'top 3' starwood hotel values in terms of highest entry rate
(although i have not tried looking at prices of suites available via points)
standard starwood award rates top out at 140K per night before 5th nt free

but there are also non-starwood accommodations available via starpoints

MikeFromTokyo, dont forget business earning, churning, manufactured spend

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 3, 2015 at 12:49 pm
Old May 3, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz

That's likely to be pretty expensive, no? In the USD $5k-10k realm per week or more? What's wrong with not wanting to spend that kind of money (and getting a lesser experience, but still spending less money)?

That's why the bloggers go to the Maldives and stay at the Hyatt- they're not going to drop many thousands on an Aman (or similar) resort when they can just use points and spend a lot less.

FWIW, I priced out this place for a week. The hotel room's $5k, the food/speedboat transfers/some other incidentals came to another 5k for two people.

(Personally, I'd be inclined to rather go to Sri Lanka or Goa in that corner of the world. Resort islands are a bit sterile for me.)

w maldives is $3K/nt (like many maldives resorts) over xmas/nye and easter
That's starting to get into the realm of what 110,000 miles would buy you in terms of airfare (110k award J or spending USD $3k on business class during a special, with lots of penalties/restrictions).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 3, 2015 at 10:30 am
Old May 3, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ben did take his mom to aman.

but i agree that in this ('external resources') forum and manufactured spend forum its all about awards.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
ben did take his mom to aman.
He's also written about other Aman properties (though I think he may have gotten those through travel agent connections).

Ben's probably also the biggest fish in the sea in all of this (from other threads), given that he has big income from his blog AND an award booking business (that's big enough that his employees are now writing on his blog).

I doubt a lot of the other bloggers are quitting the day job from their income, so $10k+ weeks in the Maldives may not be feasible. Thus the PH Maldives.

but i agree that in this ('external resources') forum and manufactured spend forum its all about awards.
Yeah, as well as "aspirational travel". I think it's fine to aspire to stuff that you can get on points that you'd be hard-pressed to afford with cash, even if you're not at the "buy my own private island" level, or even the "drop 5 digits on a vacation" level.

Some people aspire to executive lounges with corn flakes and OJ for breakfast in far away countries...
Old May 3, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ben's income is nowhere near top 3 credit card blogs.
for aman india trip ben went with an agent.

i was talking about 2 forums on FT. FT is not limited to award travelers, and not everyone can earn tons of points, especially outside US.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 3, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.