Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Racked.com takes a view of the miles & points blogosphere [split off from OMaaT]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racked.com takes a view of the miles & points blogosphere [split off from OMaaT]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The irony is that anyone except a US citizen who does what Ben does would pay no tax at all. Only US citizens pay tax on global income. (Well, also North Korea and Eritrea.)

If I was living out of hotels around the world I would pay no tax, assuming I incorporated my blog outside the UK.

If Ben keeps this up it would make sense to renounce his US citizenship and revert to the German citizenship which I assume he also has because of his family.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Maybe my reading and comprehension skills are not that great, but I think you are reading to much into the article. The article is pretty well researched and written, I must say. My take is the 500k number is more about TPG, but YMMV.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:33 pm

ff blogger article

I knew credit card reward bloggers made money but I never guessed it would be this much. Has anyone seen this story?

http://www.racked.com/2015/4/1/83207...d-points-miles

I guess the points guy and frugal travel guy already sold out
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is practically a known secret...

The sad news? Bloggers use their earned commission to buy their own tickets while asking internet crowd to apply for cards (for commission).
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
A very adequate comment from pointaholic ^^^
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
.2% of miles and points bloggers (if that many) make about 99.9% of the money in the space (if that little). I think that article is actually a pretty rational look at the state of the industry (and yes, it is an industry now).
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Yeah, old news...

I wrote my thesis on the subject:

http://travelbloggerbuzz.com/travel-...zation-scheme/

Moderator: Please feel free to edit my post to take out the direct link...but I do think it is relevant.

And the 0.2% earning 99.9% is probably close too
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
To say 0.2% would assume 500 US blogs and I don't think it has got that bad!

Let's say there are 100 US sites running at least 1 article per week. If the top 5 make $10m between them then 5% are making probably 90%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.