Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Advice for someone who doesn't live in North America

Advice for someone who doesn't live in North America

Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: My travel agent
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Not having ever signed up and read any of the T&Cs (if any), I can't comment but why not contact Chris directly and ask, if such clarification isn't apparent on the site?
I have 2 good reasons for this:

- I see no contact info whatsoever on that site - besides give them your credit card info for the trial. (((I don't like these kind of businesses - Chris is a NY Times bestselling author, nonetheless - http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Guillebeau/e/B003G218QO )))

- My idea is that his service offers only the free info found here and other free sources on the Internet anyways (repackaged), so why not ask it here, at the source; if I live in Pitcairn, which does not issue any credit cards, which online deals should I sign up, year on year to get 25,000 miles every year? That's it.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Wayfahrer
I have 2 good reasons for this:

- I see no contact info whatsoever on that site - besides give them your credit card info for the trial. (((I don't like these kind of businesses - Chris is a NY Times bestselling author, nonetheless - http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Guillebeau/e/B003G218QO )))

- My idea is that his service offers only the free info found here and other free sources on the Internet anyways (repackaged), so why not ask it here, at the source; if I live in Pitcairn, which does not issue any credit cards, which online deals should I sign up, year on year to get 25,000 miles every year? That's it.
- It's pretty easy to find contact information for him...Twitter, his main website with contact info, etc:

https://www.google.com/#q=chris+guillebeau

- How would any of us know about he workings of his guarantee, aside from the text of the guarantee that we can all read?

So are you a disappointed member looking to get the guarantee honored, or just speculating?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

link (currently?) says "we’ll comp you extra months or help you get the miles you need"

(vs "on a previous incarnation of the site")
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:24 am
Original Poster

- It's pretty easy to find contact information for him...Twitter, his main website with contact info, etc:

https://www.google.com/#q=chris+guillebeau
Thanks, on one hand, but that is not the ultimate point - to reach him. I like discussing free stuff like miles on a free forum like this one.

- How would any of us know about he workings of his guarantee, aside from the text of the guarantee that we can all read?

So are you a disappointed member looking to get the guarantee honored, or just speculating?
Never gave him my credit card data.

Sorry if I was not clear: I ask if he can honor his guarantee - I have no doubt he gives refunds to unsatisfied customers; this is not the question - in the way if YOU, the mileage experts can show me any online deal which gives me 25,000 miles or one short haul ticket without any credit card, whatsoever. That is what his old marketing explicitly said: live anywhere -earn 25,000 miles a year. (New marketing does not say where you should live but you should earn 100,000 miles minimum). And this is the question - if you know such opportunity - I ask you mileage experts on this free forum. Simple as that ;P
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
(vs "on a previous incarnation of the site")
Previous incarnation offered only 25,000 miles (if I recall correctly), but wherever you live in the world.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if his current guarantee is not the subject, you need a new thread in information desk forum
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if his current guarantee is not the subject, you need a new thread in information desk forum
I pressed the red "alert" button to move this thread there (I don' t think it would be productive to open a new thread and go through the same Q&A session which got this topic to its current state; at lest I don' t have time to do the same thing twice). I hope that' s OK. This was maybe a week ago. However, I still didn't get any feedback from the mod team, and the thread is still here. What to do?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Hi. I'm new to Flyer Talk, but have a bit of experience here. I paid for Chris's services for about 6 months before canceling (after realizing I had the basics down and could be better/faster updates about mileage opportunities from blogs and forums). Many of the earning opportunities are related to taking surveys, test driving a car, etc. I bet it may have been realistic to say you could get 25,000 miles through a survey site if you devoted 30 minutes per week to doing surveys (which, I remember correctly, is what THC says you should devote to the hobby). I would expect you'd be unlikely to get 25,000 miles from one offer, but if you found smaller offers (like the surveys) and committed significant time, it would add up.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by LizGross144
Hi. I'm new to Flyer Talk, but have a bit of experience here. I paid for Chris's services for about 6 months before canceling (after realizing I had the basics down and could be better/faster updates about mileage opportunities from blogs and forums). Many of the earning opportunities are related to taking surveys, test driving a car, etc. I bet it may have been realistic to say you could get 25,000 miles through a survey site if you devoted 30 minutes per week to doing surveys (which, I remember correctly, is what THC says you should devote to the hobby). I would expect you'd be unlikely to get 25,000 miles from one offer, but if you found smaller offers (like the surveys) and committed significant time, it would add up.
so basically, in summary, his site is a scam.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:49 pm

I felt like it was a good place to start to get the basics, learn the language, and know what to look for elsewhere. All the good stuff can be learned during the free trial. I was hopeful that the email alerts would be worth $15 of my time per month not combing through RSS feeds and message boards, but when I started noticing promotions they weren't advertising....and even was nice enough to email them to the staff.....and they took 3-4 additional days to post it....I cancelled.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Overview question: If you have to rate on 10 point scale the mileage opportunities available for residents in the US/UK/Germany/Australia/Whichever major country where the earning potentials you are aware of, how would the countries rate against each other relatively on the mileage scale?
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Very broadly speaking, I would say: US 9.5 / Canada: 5 / UK: 4.5 / Germany: 4
The Frequent Miler says:

Actually, an awesome perpetual point machine already exists and is well known: credit card sign ups. Much has been written about the incredible signup offers that are readily available to people with good credit scores. Simply by applying for a handful of cards and meeting minimum spend requirements, you can earn thousands of dollars worth of travel rewards with very little effort! Every three or four months, you can apply for more cards and earn even more free travel. Its simply amazing. If youre not already taking advantage of some of these deals you should seriously consider it!

My question:

I understand the main method is to actually sign up for a few new cards, every year, and more: every 3-4 months. If, in the US, you can get, say, 200k miles year, in all the other countries, you can get 100k, if I understand correctly. Or multiply your numbers, accordingly.

For clarification.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Liz, awesome: thank you for the update!

Sum it up: 30 minutes/week is 25 hours a year for 25,000 miles, that is 1,000 miles/hour. That is, converted to an hourly wage of...?

And most important, where to find those surveys/which blog to follow, instead of paying for Chris for this?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
so basically, in summary, his site is a scam.
And here's hoping, FlyerTalk is NOT a scam. Read: if I kindly ask, you (not necessarily you, personally, but someone) can reveal me the free information how I can earn the 25k miles by surveys only; the way LizGross144 was talking about it.

I kindly ask; thank you. This site is a little overwhelming; not sure where am I supposed to look to, for that information.

Ps. Kind of timely Chris Guillebeau update: https://www.creativelive.com/courses...stephanie-zito
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
This site is a little overwhelming; not sure where am I supposed to look to, for that information.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/

http://www.e-rewards.com/home.do

http://www.e-miles.com/home.do
Old May 3, 2015, 3:30 pm

The only survey site I've found that seems to offer a decent return (50-100 miles for 5-10 minutes of my time) is Opinion Miles, which I occasionally use to pick up some extra United Miles. If I responded to every email they send me quickly (so I wouldn't get the dreaded "we have enough responses already" message), I'd probably get a couple hundred a week.

I haven't read the T&C on the shopping portals from major airlines, so I don't know if they're limited to US residents. But that's another way to rack up miles, assuming you regularly spend money on stuff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.