Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Chicago Seminars October 16-18th, 2015

Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Registration is live.

If you've been to a previous event expect something very similar. If you haven't been before, check out the 2014 Thread

For those who might be new to Flyertalk. If you're interested in meeting other FTers in smaller groups in different locations throughout the year, FT has a forum called "CommunityBuzz".

This is where people will post get-togethers (often called "DOs"), whether it be something as simple as meeting up for lunch or dinner or as organized as activities over a few days in places like London, Australia, Austin, Alaska, etc. It's a great way to meet other travel-oriented folk, but not in academic or large setting like the seminar event.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/

For those that are new to Flyertalk & want to keep current with what's happening with the Chicago Seminar Event, in every thread there is a link near the top of the thread that says "Thread Tools". On the drop-down menu is an option to "Subscribe to this Thread". When you subscribe to the thread there's also a drop-down menu where she say how often you want to receive notification of updates to the thread (never, as it happens, weekly, etc) & then you get email notifications of posts to the thread in the timelines you've indicated.

Hotel Shuttle Info

The shuttle leaves the hotel to go to ORD on the hour. It goes from ORD to the hotel on the half hour. You pick it up at ORD at the hotel/shuttle bus stop section @ door #2

Changing Your Registered Sessions:
  1. Log into your Eventbrite account
  2. Choose "My Tickets" from the dropdown menu by your name at the top of the page
  3. Click "Manage Order" for Chicago Seminars 2015
  4. Click "edit" on the right side of the screen
  5. Make changes to your seminar choices
Print Wikipost

Chicago Seminars October 16-18th, 2015

Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I'm very sorry I won't be joining you this year, I hope you'll have me back next! The logistics of getting me there, MrsMJ to Paris, and then me to Paris on a pretty tight timeline just became a bit too daunting. Shawn of Miles to Memories will represent the cruising crowd very well!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by jkoj
I am pretty new to this and SO excited to be attending the seminar. Will be flying in to Midway (SW). Anyone know the best transportation option to the HI?
The hotel offers a shuttle from ORD, but that airport is a long way from MDW. Here are two viable options from MDW to ORD:
1. There is a shuttle bus. You may have to get off halfway there and transfer to a different shuttle, but that transfer is at a building owned by the bus company...not on a random street corner.
2. You can ride the subway (ell) from MDW to downtown, then ride a different train out to ORD.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
The hotel offers a shuttle from ORD, but that airport is a long way from MDW. Here are two viable options from MDW to ORD:
1. There is a shuttle bus. You may have to get off halfway there and transfer to a different shuttle, but that transfer is at a building owned by the bus company...not on a random street corner.
2. You can ride the subway (ell) from MDW to downtown, then ride a different train out to ORD.
It has been awhile but I do remember the shuttle is a direct one from MDW to ORD. Make sure you check the prices especially if there is more than you. Taxi flat rate might be cheaper in that case. Trick is to get a non Chicago system cab !
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
wharvey, would love to see you there!

But you're going to be spending a LOT of time in the car in both directions to stay at either Crestwood or Aurora-Naperville. Are any of the other hotel chains doing promos or have cheap rates during the timeframe that have locations closer? I'd hate to see you attend & then spend more of your time in a car & missing out on a lot of the networking that happens at these events.

Cheers.
Sheraton Suites Elk Grove Village (5-10 minutes from the Holiday Inn) or Four Points Chicago O'Hare (15 minutes) are SPG Category 2 properties that run 3,000 Starpoints/night, if you're looking to stay on points and keep it as cheap as possible. Should be easy to grab a ride between hotels using Uber (though they cannot pick up at ORD). Crestwood and Naperville are a good drive.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:41 am

Hello. I just booked the DoubleTree Chi Wood Dale in Wood Dale/Elk Grove. Can anyone please let me know how close it will/not be close to the event?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by mommafrica
Hello. I just booked the DoubleTree Chi Wood Dale in Wood Dale/Elk Grove. Can anyone please let me know how close it will/not be close to the event?
10 minute drive.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by thehowieee
10 minute drive.
Thank You Very Much . I already booked the Country Inn & Suites on points but I figured that I would take advantage of Hilton's Triple/Dbl bonus for $351/4 days via the MVP rate. As a Gold I requested an upgrade for either a King bed or a suite upgrade. I may now be cancelling CI & Suites.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mommafrica
Thank You Very Much . I already booked the Country Inn & Suites on points but I figured that I would take advantage of Hilton's Triple/Dbl bonus for $351/4 days via the MVP rate. As a Gold I requested an upgrade for either a King bed or a suite upgrade. I may now be cancelling CI & Suites.
I'll be so happy to see you!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Registered!

This will be my (and my wife's) first Chicago Seminars - or Travel Hacking seminar of any kind. However, we have learned a bunch over the last year. 17 credit card sign-ups, an AA platinum challenge for my wife, and some "RedBird" MS later, we have:
- over 1,000,000 available points/miles
- redeemed another 109k points/miles
- booked Etihad error fare JFK-JNB and flew in April
- BA ex-Norway CW "glitch" OSL-SAT booked for next June
- AA exchange rate "glitch" AUS-GIG over Christmas/New Years in J

I can thank FT for a lot of what I learned. So I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of you there!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerJT
Registered!

This will be my (and my wife's) first Chicago Seminars - or Travel Hacking seminar of any kind. However, we have learned a bunch over the last year. 17 credit card sign-ups, an AA platinum challenge for my wife, and some "RedBird" MS later, we have:
- over 1,000,000 available points/miles
- redeemed another 109k points/miles
- booked Etihad error fare JFK-JNB and flew in April
- BA ex-Norway CW "glitch" OSL-SAT booked for next June
- AA exchange rate "glitch" AUS-GIG over Christmas/New Years in J

I can thank FT for a lot of what I learned. So I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of you there!
Happy to have you and NICE JOB In the past year
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
Are all the seminar topics still open or are there some already full? Also, if you purchase a transfer ticket are you bound by the selections made by the seller previously?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muflyer
Are all the seminar topics still open or are there some already full? Also, if you purchase a transfer ticket are you bound by the selections made by the seller previously?
Some are full --- you can see the one's that are full if you step through the process and are unable to pick a specific seminar.

if you purchase a transfer ticket you are bound by the selections made by the seller. If another topic has space available we can happily change, but if it is full ... it is ... well ... full.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Does anyone know if Holiday Inn hotel registration at the Chicago Seminars counts as a "Qualifying Stay" for purposes of IHG's "Accelerate" promotion?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Does anyone know if Holiday Inn hotel registration at the Chicago Seminars counts as a "Qualifying Stay" for purposes of IHG's "Accelerate" promotion?
It is a legit Holiday Inn stay. If you're paying for the room it counts like any other night(s).
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:48 am

i have a ticket to the seminar and reservations at the host hotel, i cannot attend this year, anyone interested in purchasing ticket and transfer hotel to you name, thanks mike at [email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.