Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
BUY MILES AND RECEIVE A 150% BONUS
REDEEM THOSE SAME MILES WITH AN AWARD DISCOUNT UP TO 50%

There are our rules. They are designed to assist you in making any decision to purchase LifeMiles. They can be your friend. Read them wisely.

Rule #1
Only registered InsideFlyer members are eligible.

Rule #2
You must purchase between 100,000 & 150,000 LifeMiles.

Rule #3
You have between Friday Oct 2 and Tues Oct 6, 2015 to register for this launch promotion.

Rule #4
You must be a registered member of LifeMiles by Tues Oct 6 to be eligible.

Rule #5
You will be able to buy LifeMiles thru Mon Oct 12.

Rule #6
100,000 LifeMiles will cost $3,894.00 USD. *some country exceptions apply

Rule #7
Once registered, you have 24 hours to confirm your purchase of miles.

Rule #8
Only one transaction allowed per member, per LifeMiles account.

Rule #9
You have until Thurs Oct 15 to redeem LifeMiles for up to 50% discount on Star Alliance member awards (travel can be until Oct 2016)

Rule #10
Welcome to our Award Store, you'll be back.
Nearly $3900 for 250,000 Lifemiles is a lot. It wasn't that long ago that Lifemiles was selling miles for 1.56 cents per mile. While the "up to 50% discount on Star Alliance awards sounds good, it wasn't that long ago that Lifemiles hiked up the costs of its award tickets.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Nearly $3900 for 250,000 Lifemiles is a lot. It wasn't that long ago that Lifemiles was selling miles for 1.56 cents per mile. While the "up to 50% discount on Star Alliance awards sounds good, it wasn't that long ago that Lifemiles hiked up the costs of its award tickets.
Yeah I definitely wouldn't make such a purchase speculatively based on past history. Seems like a pretty limited audience that would have a real use for this offer. The MilePoint launch iPad giveaway was more of a draw to most people.

The new MPdbaIF homepage seems similar in layout to the latest FT homepage. Maybe I'm looking right past it but I can't even seem to find a login link.

So far I'm seeing just a slicker interface, conglomeration with international sites, blog articles competing with BA, and at least one co-branded travel app that is just like many others out there. I guess their definition of "inventing something" is fairly loose
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:13 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Visit the Avianca/LifeMiles forum here on Flyertalk to perform extensive due diligence if this InsideFlyer deal interests you. It could work out fine for people with the right travel agenda, but "Caveat Emptor".
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:34 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
So far I'm seeing just a slicker interface, conglomeration with international sites, blog articles competing with BA, and at least one co-branded travel app that is just like many others out there. I guess their definition of "inventing something" is fairly loose
I'm trying to figure out the value proposition too.

I was thinking maybe they would TELL us...

Originally Posted by Raffles
I met Tommy yesterday. This is going to be impressive, if they deliver what I have been told, although it will take a few months to bed down properly.
Is this, so far, as impressive as you thought it would be?

If so, how?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kokonutz

Is this, so far, as impressive as you thought it would be?

If so, how?
It will take a few months before I'll be able to a get sense of how this will turn out and work out for me in particular.

It's better to under-promise and over-deliver than to over-promise and under-deliver. I've been promised nothing from MPdbaIF but I'm willing to give it time. If it delivers something rather unique and integrates global coverage of the travel loyalty program world to help me get into more deals, I think it could end up doing rather well over time. If, however, it ends up only having nuggets of info and other engagement that can easily migrate over to FT, it might just end up being a source for FT more than FT is a source for it.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Moderator2
Visit the Avianca/LifeMiles forum here on Flyertalk to perform extensive due diligence if this InsideFlyer deal interests you. It could work out fine for people with the right travel agenda, but "Caveat Emptor".
Thanks!

It will take a few months before I'll be able to a get sense of how this will turn out and work out for me in particular.

It's better to under-promise and over-deliver than to over-promise and under-deliver. I've been promised nothing from MPdbaIF but I'm willing to give it time. If it delivers something rather unique and integrates global coverage of the travel loyalty program world to help me get into more deals, I think it could end up doing rather well over time. If, however, it ends up only having nuggets of info and other engagement that can easily migrate over to FT, it might just end up being a source for FT more than FT is a source for it.
All good points to keep in mind! I'll check it out and give it a chance (assuming I can ever log in!), no harm in giving it a bit if time.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz

So far I see a reformatted front end for Milepoint, reminding me more of FlyerTalk's (mostly useless to me) home page than anything else. Where is the big change?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nsx
So far I see a reformatted front end for Milepoint, reminding me more of FlyerTalk's (mostly useless to me) home page than anything else. Where is the big change?

Ads! Lots of ads for this gold member!

(And reduced usability overall)
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's better to under-promise and over-deliver than to over-promise and under-deliver.
Something the leadership of that site has failed on many, many, many times.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:13 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
This is all fine and well but...can anyone tell me How to Get Vienna Opera Tickets for 3 Euros!?

Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Gary posted something about what the new IF is going to be, sadly the discussion about the LM offer drowned any and all comments about the site. A clarification on the LM offer followed. Ed also posted about the LM offer and didn't go into the details of what IF will become.

Garys comments:

I’ve enjoyed the many interactions with folks I’ve had there, and have been privileged to be a part of the community I helped to found. Although I don’t think it reached its potential, and we certainly didn’t do everything with and for it that we’d always talked about.
Reader 'Eric' posted this comment:

As far as the hype about inventing something new…it’s just a little bit prettier interface; buyout of some international sites; the Inside Flyer name on the Traxo loyalty and travel planner app that already exists (along with others); other blog type articles.

I wonder how the majority of BoardingArea bloggers feel about Randy, Gary, and Co. setting up a competing blog aggregator in the guise of the new Insideflyer? Though given the lack of success of MP, perhaps there isn’t a need to worry much.
Gary later responds to various other remarks:
@Eric There will be lots of offers, telling folks something is good that is not good would be against my interests in building traffic for Inside Flyer. My interest in that site is pretty modest in any case.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Gary posted something about what the new IF is going to be, sadly the discussion about the LM offer drowned any and all comments about the site. A clarification on the LM offer followed. Ed also posted about the LM offer and didn't go into the details of what IF will become.

Garys comments:

That's mostly or entirely from the viewfromthewing blog entry.

[The Lifemiles pricing stuff was interesting to me for other reasons, as there seems to be some geographic segmentation going on, but nothing I wasn't able to get around easily.]

I am not sure what Lifemiles brings to the MPdbaIF table, but more offers are better than fewer ones, even if the gimmicks don't end up making the place sticky. People in the VFTW and other blogs seemed to want to know what was in it for MPdbaIF and its backers. Sometimes it's just about generating attention.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Very interesting to see how this develops...

So far, I am way underwhelmed. I have no interest in the Avianca offer whatsoever. And this trip manager/awards aggregator traxo thingie is WAY underwhelming. Again to me, ymmv.

What I don't understand is this: It appears most of the blog posts in the front page now are from Boarding Area bloggers. Do they get compensated in the same manner (page views) for all the clicks their posts get on IF?

Pumping the new site & screaming about the first "deal" without revealing the ACTUAL monetary cost of the minimum purchase made me hold my nose. That takes some effort because I have a big nose

Raffle's opinion makes me sit back and see where they go with this, maybe it will be useful to me.

I also found the little hints about the "new" site on Twitter, well, kind of ridiculous, come on!

Point Princess just left BA and the new economic realities about the ad revenue, I am sensing, may be hurting the non cc pumping bloggers. The days of the lucrative ad contracts are over imho.

One more thing: I was a subscriber to IF and when they folded it I had (I am guessing) several months still in my subscription. I didn't get anything telling me "We are really sorry". Maybe a prorated refund perhaps? I just felt I got the shaft and this is no way to treat a subscriber. How about some Avianca miles lol?

This is really a fascinating industry indeed. Just goes to show you how important that long established name and users (as FlyerTalk) are and it is SO hard doing it again.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:48 am
Suspended

MPdbaIF doesn't have a first mover advantage nor does it have a critical mass of users at this point to make it extraordinarily special. What is to be seen is if its curation of information from frequent flyer boards, blogs, deal sites, etc. is enough to give it enough traction to work commercially better than MP. It's not like they invested in MPdbaIF for the purpose of not making it a commercial success; it's just to be seen how they can pull it off -- if they can pull it off.

Personally, I like to see others succeed in things that can add value in making available to me information in the way I find most suitable for me. I'm not sure how MPdbaIF is going to be able to pull that off. If it can pull that off, my bet would be on MPdbaIF being a huge success; if it can't pull that off, it may still work out as a sort of success for some. FWIW, I still find information of relevance in this field of play more easily found on FT and various "old school" forums, blogs and deal sites than looking at a cluttered home page and then having to dig through the clutter and keep encountering the clutter on subsequent visits too. It's why I try to "go back to the source" -- that and the source may have nuggets of gold that maximize returns for me.

If the MPdbaIF experience ends up being enabled for a more user-customizable experience, they may end up having a very powerful tool for those of us who love the travel game. If they don't have a very user-customizable experience, it may have greater trouble with user stickiness.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002

Garys comments:

Gary's interest in MPdbaIF is merely modest?! Guess he ought to remove the reference to co-founding MP from his site bio!

TravelCodex was also pimping the offer yesterday. It seems that blogger is the "editor-in-chief" for the revamped site's front page.

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Very interesting to see how this develops...

So far, I am way underwhelmed. I have no interest in the Avianca offer whatsoever. And this trip manager/awards aggregator traxo thingie is WAY underwhelming. Again to me, ymmv.

Pumping the new site & screaming about the first "deal" without revealing the ACTUAL monetary cost of the minimum purchase made me hold my nose. That takes some effort because I have a big nose
Yeah a very steep minimum purchase indeed. I don't know, seems like it would have been better received had there been some sort of (lower) bonus at lower dollar amounts. Not that it would have made it necessarily a better deal but for some - particularly anyone needing to top off a LM balance - it would have been. And it would have at least appeared more accessible to the masses.

I also found the little hints about the "new" site on Twitter, well, kind of ridiculous, come on!
It all was sort of cheesy. I guess that's par for the course with marketing types. It didn't help that they weren't prepared technically by the promised time.

There is a thread on MPdbaIF for glitches and feedback.

To me the whole "everything in one place, one-stop-shop" aspect is rarely that necessary or the best option - in any realm not just the FF world. For example do I really need to have my FFP & trip tracking connected to, and branded with, this site? It's not as if it's more than a mouseclick to go to the tracking app or site that I already have.

The new site has some blogs integrated into the front page, but we already had BA - which itself is at the same time crowded with too many blogs but also keeps most of the same ones at the top. Maybe MPdbaIF will expand the scope of its blogs to include general travel, as opposed to miles & points blogs? That could help I suppose.

If they feel that actively pulling information, say from their blogs, into forum threads will help...maybe, maybe not. It's hard to build content from scratch. And I'm just as likely, if I do see something there, to end up really discussing it here on FT anyway.

The foreign language sites have some potential, though I could also see it ending up as just a bunch of sites under one "holding company" not doing one another any real good if not actively managed properly.

One more thing: I was a subscriber to IF and when they folded it I had (I am guessing) several months still in my subscription. I didn't get anything telling me "We are really sorry". Maybe a prorated refund perhaps? I just felt I got the shaft and this is no way to treat a subscriber. How about some Avianca miles lol?
But, but, but...you don't just understand about global social connections with technology to empower travelers and pivot to reinvent content! Who cares about your measly subscription when such revolutionary things are happening!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.