Wiki Posts
Search

Up and coming sites/blogs with some promise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Up and coming sites/blogs with some promise

Although I realize this sub-forum is more for critiquing existing sites (and their failings), I been around as it seems forever and have witnessed a number of bloggers and their associated forums, come and go.

Can't say too many impress me, but one 'Saverocity' seems to strike a nice balance. The guy running the place, Matt, has allowed the membership, including an abundance of FT members to contribute without the over-moderation often seen in these parts.

Possibly an over-emphasis on MS, and something he calls "Level 2" (apparently a super-secret area ) but otherwise, I've found my time perusing his site quite enjoyable.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Hi Gary,

Glad you like it.

Level 2 isn't super secret. I just hope that the topics discussed within it aren't broadcast more widely. As such, I ask that members of Level 2 don't republish the topics on other fora, or on blogs.

From my side, I stop Google from tracking what is happening in Level 2, so I too keep it under the radar, and I also will not republish anything that is put there on the blog.

Ironically, MS is a huge draw for the area, but for me personally its not that high on the list. I much prefer talk on finance and life hacking, MS is just a component of that.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GaryZ
Although I realize this sub-forum is more for critiquing existing sites (and their failings)
Not really. To be honest, this sub-forum would be well-served by people doing things like finding new sites rather than making the same complaints about the same bloggers. Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Not really. To be honest, this sub-forum would be well-served by people doing things like finding new sites rather than making the same complaints about the same bloggers. Thanks.
Precisely...I don't expect much response from this thread as most of the 'young guys' here think it's more constructive just dumping on the guys/girls they wish they could be...Koko, I respect since he has been around longer than me the rest, well...
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Glad you like it.

Matt
I like the tone you have set: reminds me of the early days of FT: dearth of moderation and having the members be responsible for what they post/say.

Nice job ^
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by GaryZ
Precisely...I don't expect much response from this thread as most of the 'young guys' here think it's more constructive just dumping on the guys/girls they wish they could be...Koko, I respect since he has been around longer than me the rest, well...

Do you have a method for determining someone's age and gender by the way they type?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1848
Do you have a method for determining someone's age and gender by the way they type?

deleted

Last edited by GaryZ; Jan 19, 2015 at 6:27 pm Reason: just not worth it!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So don't be shy - what new and helpful sites/info do you have to share with us?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:36 pm

Since this thread is getting derailed, let's get it back on track. Here are my picks for up and comers:

Frugal Hack Me, I like his style of writing and his cautious approach to things.
Saverocity group, too many to name individually but Matt does a really good job of finding bloggers that fit with his ethos.
Don't call the airlines, best Canadian blogger in my opinion. His early content was better but still pretty good if you don't focus on the filler content too much.

PointsCentric has been really good recently as well, not sure if it classifies as up and coming or not. There are a heap of others that I'm missing, I'll post those later if they come to me.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:31 am

Hey! I'm a blogger!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: Enough
Thank you very much Doc!

It's a hard balance between frequently creating content to keep eyeballs, and creating new and unique content. I agree - some of my favourite and instructive posts were written early on. I've been thinking of doing a "Throwback Thursdays" type thing. I'd do this when I travel, which helps me produce content while I'm travelling. What do y'all think?

I had 130+ posts before joining BA, and I'm only creative enough to a point. Although I love to create unique content, it is a fact of life that there will be some filler stuff and repetitive content. If anybody has suggestions for new content, I'd be delighted to receive it.

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Since this thread is getting derailed, let's get it back on track. Here are my picks for up and comers:

Frugal Hack Me, I like his style of writing and his cautious approach to things.
Saverocity group, too many to name individually but Matt does a really good job of finding bloggers that fit with his ethos.
Don't call the airlines, best Canadian blogger in my opinion. His early content was better but still pretty good if you don't focus on the filler content too much.

PointsCentric has been really good recently as well, not sure if it classifies as up and coming or not. There are a heap of others that I'm missing, I'll post those later if they come to me.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Although I love to create unique content, it is a fact of life that there will be some filler stuff and repetitive content.
To an extent, we all repeat ourselves, but I don't see the need for filler. Part of the 'sell' I find with joining a network is that you could take a month off posting, but when you do it will land on the front page of a site that has eyeballs on it, so you will get some views.

The race for content/filler isn't a good model IMO.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
To an extent, we all repeat ourselves, but I don't see the need for filler. Part of the 'sell' I find with joining a network is that you could take a month off posting, but when you do it will land on the front page of a site that has eyeballs on it, so you will get some views.

The race for content/filler isn't a good model IMO.
I get your ethos, but it's a reality that a blog will have regular followers. If you don't continually publish, you lose regular followers.

I agree that you don't want to publish trivial crap. However, I believe that my "filler" content, although not necessarily instructional like my main content, does satisfy a desire by regular followers to know a little more about me personally. Further, some of my filler content teaches some very basic principles, which can often be way more popular than my more technical content.

It's a difficult balancing act, between publishing riveting and unique content, and maintaining relevancy and popularity.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 84fiero
So don't be shy - what new and helpful sites/info do you have to share with us?
I'm spending time on TravelCodex these days.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
My blog reviews:

http://travelbloggerbuzz.com/blog-reviews/

The ones in the Ignore List make me throw up inside my mouth.

Don't Be a Tool

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.