Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Copy cat! Copy cat! You copy this and that!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copy cat! Copy cat! You copy this and that!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by LPDAL
As with the poster above I have let my trip report photos be used by FlyerTalk bloggers:

Excessive Dog Excrement Forces Emergency Landing | FlyerTalk

AirTran Airways A+ Rewards Program to End in November | FlyerTalk

THAT I have no problem with.

-LPDAL
Those photographs also are linked back to the trip reports you voluntarily posted on FlyerTalk specifically to drive more traffic to your trip reports; and because that weblog resides on FlyerTalk, the extension of that license of use was implied. Additionally, credit was clearly applied to you as the photographer.

It would be a different story if the weblog was external from FlyerTalk and your photographs were used without your consent or accreditation.

Still — as a photographer myself — I agree with you that photographs should not be used without being granted permission by the owner of those photographs.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Those photographs also are linked back to the trip reports you voluntarily posted on FlyerTalk specifically to drive more traffic to your trip reports; and because that weblog resides on FlyerTalk, the extension of that license of use was implied. Additionally, credit was clearly applied to you as the photographer.

It would be a different story if the weblog was external from FlyerTalk and your photographs were used without your consent or accreditation.

Still — as a photographer myself — I agree with you that photographs should not be used without being granted permission by the owner of those photographs.
No, no -- my point was that they were using my photos in the right way. They can use them all they want, as long as they follow the terms below. In fact, I was delighted to see my photos featured in a blog post (even if one was about dog poop ).

EDIT:

The Creative Commons license I applied to the photos on my Flickr account may be used by anyone if all of the conditions below are met:

1) No derivatives, derivative works, or any other derivative use -- self explanatory.

2) No Commercial use: The photos are not used for commercial purpose no matter the intent. The photos also may not be profited on, or used to that extent, under any circumstances.

3) Attribution: The photos must be attributed to me as the other. *

*Obviously, this does not apply to screenshots or scans on my Flickr page that were not taken or created by me, such as historical antique photographs, screengrabs of airline websites, or aeronautical charts, etc. However, the 17 photos stolen were all pictures that I took with my own cameras, not any of the examples I just listed.

-LPDAL

Last edited by LPDAL; Oct 15, 2015 at 1:33 pm
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat

*Obviously, this does not apply to screenshots or scans on my Flickr page that were not taken or created by me, such as historical antique photographs, screengrabs of airline websites, or aeronautical charts, etc.

-LPDAL
And why do you post those on your Flickr page, if you know that the guidelines state you shouldn't?

I know I have asked this before, but I assume you are ignoring the statement since it doesn't fit your agenda. I would just like to understand how this works.

Last edited by dimramon; Oct 15, 2015 at 1:46 pm
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The most recent post on PMM about JetBlue's FlyFi is a straight up hack job, copying 300+ words straight from another source.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:14 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
The most recent post on PMM about JetBlue's FlyFi is a straight up hack job, copying 300+ words straight from another source.
BOOOOOO!!!!
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
Man that's the most blatant abuse I've seen lately. PMM rarely if ever has anything original to post in the first place. How does Boarding Area let drivel like PMM stick around?

(Your actual review of the product a few days ago was very informative.)
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: All of Them
Did you reach out to PMM and get any response?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
There were comments on the PMM post calling them out on it...now the comments have been deleted. The blog post had a link to the USA Today article which is now replaced by a link to the B6 press release. I think the text of the post is now portions of the press release rather than the USA Today article but I don't have time to look up the article at the moment to compare.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
There were comments on the PMM post calling them out on it...now the comments have been deleted. The blog post had a link to the USA Today article which is now replaced by a link to the B6 press release. I think the text of the post is now portions of the press release rather than the USA Today article but I don't have time to look up the article at the moment to compare.
Correct on all counts. I have PDF copies of the originals showing the different text (i.e. RWV content) in the body from the original.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:29 am

I'm surprised none of the major newspapers have taken copyright action against blogs who blatantly steal paragraphs of articles. This could land them in some serious doo-doo.

What is the point of stealing, anyhow? The readers of these blogs look to the writers to guide them in the direction of "cheap" and "free" travel via credit card points, so to that end, they expect that the writer named at the top of the article is the one, you know, writing the article, not copying it off of a major newspaper.

-LPDAL
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I'm surprised none of the major newspapers have taken copyright action against blogs who blatantly steal paragraphs of articles. This could land them in some serious doo-doo.

What is the point of stealing, anyhow? The readers of these blogs look to the writers to guide them in the direction of "cheap" and "free" travel via credit card points, so to that end, they expect that the writer named at the top of the article is the one, you know, writing the article, not copying it off of a major newspaper.

-LPDAL
I don't think people care, nor do they typically notice, who writes the information, as long as they get the information they want (rightly or wrongly).

Last edited by bthotugigem05; Oct 22, 2015 at 10:11 am
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I don't think people care, nor do they typically notice, who writes the information, as long as they get the information they want (rightly or wrongly).

I'm talking about it from the perspective of the companies -- of course they care about their articles being stolen, half, whole, or whatever portion. I'm pretty sure USA Today's Legal Eagles would not take a high view of their articles being stolen / copy - and - pasted onto a major points blog.

Even from the perspective of the reader it is unscrupulous! How can one write an article, for instance, on tourist attractions in China yet has never been to Asia themselves? It is NOT mentioned anywhere that these "authors" oftentimes writing about subjects they've never even been to or experienced in any way which is highly dishonest!

How could they? Newbies look up to these bloggers! I know it's all about the money in the end, but come on.

-LPDAL
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:27 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Here is the official policy of posting copyrighted material on FlyerTalk:

Posting Copyrighted Material

Do not post information protected by copyright or owned by another without the owner’s consent. If you infringe on someone else’s rights you will be held solely responsible. Neither FlyerTalk nor its owner shall be held responsible for information you post that may violate copyright law.

When posting a news article or other published information, credit the source of the information and give a brief, one-to-three paragraph summary or clip of the content, providing an appropriate link and/or cite to its source.

FlyerTalk's Infringement Policy, found in its Legal Notices disclosure, is made a part of this rule and nothing in this rule is meant to conflict with that Infringement Policy.
I am not a lawyer; but I would think that a similar policy would apply to other repositories of content posted on the Internet.

When viewing articles which are the source of content, paid advertising — more often than not — accompanies those articles in various forms. While the outright plagiarism of articles is indeed frowned upon, I would think that citing anywhere from a sentence to a paragraph — accompanied by proper accreditation and a link to the source — of the article would typically be welcomed by the creator of the original source in terms of increased readership, which could lead to more revenue from the clicks in terms of advertising.

Of course, a simple note or e-mail message to the creator of the source of information requesting official permission takes only moments of one’s time — and the response is usually in the affirmative.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:02 pm

I'm surprised none of the major newspapers have taken copyright action against blogs who blatantly steal paragraphs of articles.
Unfortunately the cost to pursue is typically far greater than the damages caused. That's why they do not aggressively pursue such.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I would think that citing anywhere from a sentence to a paragraph — accompanied by proper accreditation and a link to the source — of the article would typically be welcomed by the creator of the original source in terms of increased readership, which could lead to more revenue from the clicks in terms of advertising.
The "Fair Use Doctrine" covers this and, for better or worse, the courts have been less than spectacular about coming up with a perfect definition, much like obscenity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

And regardless of what you think about FT standards/rules, using them as a measure for what someone should publish on a blog versus a message board is a bad move IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.