Search

How Blog links look on the face book

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
How Blog links look on the face book

I don't know why, but I tend to follow blogs on FB rather than RSS or feedly or whatever. Luddite, I suppose.

Anyway, since a long time, blog posts to FB always looked and read like this:

But now they sometimes look like this:

Did FB change, or are there several ways to post blog entries to facebook?

The second always makes me giggle, because it's written in the third person and refers to 'Frequent flyer expert Gary Leff.'

Kinda like when Lebron talks about 'Lebron' in the third person.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:06 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Did FB change, or are there several ways to post blog entries to facebook?
Facebook will read the meta tags of a post and use that as a description. On Gary's blog post, in the source code, is:

<meta property="og:description" content="Frequent flyer expert Gary Leff shows you the trick to Qantas First Class award availability -- how to get the toughest awards in the world, there's a secret to it!" />

So it's taken directly from there. The other post has the first part of the post as the og:description, which is generally how it works by default. It was not changed like the Qantas post.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcc235
Facebook will read the meta tags of a post and use that as a description. On Gary's blog post, in the source code, is:

<meta property="og:description" content="Frequent flyer expert Gary Leff shows you the trick to Qantas First Class award availability -- how to get the toughest awards in the world, there's a secret to it!" />

So it's taken directly from there. The other post has the first part of the post as the og:description, which is generally how it works by default. It was not changed like the Qantas post.
Gotcha, so it is Lebron talking about Lebron.

Thanks!

Maybe I will start making FB posts like that: 'Super wine snob kokonutz drank this awesome bottle of wine with dinner tonight.' 'Photographer extraordinaire kokonutz took this photo of his dessert tonight!'
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

or are there several ways to post blog entries to facebook?
Yes, there are. And which one you choose has a direct impact on how many followers see the post based on FB's algorithms. I've done some reasonably "scientific" tracking on numbers and the posts with images show up in feeds a LOT more often.

The second always makes me giggle, because it's written in the third person and refers to 'Frequent flyer expert Gary Leff.'
That's the excerpt as defined by the author. And it is all about SEO. :-:
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, there are. And which one you choose has a direct impact on how many followers see the post based on FB's algorithms. I've done some reasonably "scientific" tracking on numbers and the posts with images show up in feeds a LOT more often.

Hm. I was just looking at your blog post entries on FB. Looks like you use the second method, but refer to yourself in the first rather than third person.

Which makes it look more like a FB post and less like a FB ad. @:-)
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:50 pm

Hm. I was just looking at your blog post entries on FB. Looks like you use the second method, but refer to yourself in the first rather than third person.
I rarely include reference to myself in the excerpt unless it is a trip report. In those cases it is first person, not third.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:46 am

That's not true. FB's algorithm works based on how many of your followers interact with a particular story. That's why you see some of the larger pages (non miles & points) posting stuff like "FT is the best forum, comment if you agree or like if you disagree).

It takes into account: comments, likes, click throughs to the story. I imagine it also takes into account your posting frequency and how often somebody interacts with your content and what other content is available for an individuals news feed.

The reason your posts with images show up more, is because images drives user engagement. It's why the current fad of posting massive pictures in the twitter feed is so popular, the CTR skyrockets.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:03 am

I have specific test examples of a text-only post versus an image post on the same FB page. The image posts get way more impressions than the text-only ones.

Maybe that's because more people engage with them long-term, but the numbers I'm talking about are even before clicks are counted. Image posts get more views in the timeline algorithm.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:33 am

I have specific test examples of a text-only post versus an image post on the same FB page. The image posts get way more impressions than the text-only ones.

Maybe that's because more people engage with them long-term, but the numbers I'm talking about are even before clicks are counted. Image posts get more views in the timeline algorithm.
Are you remembering to control for other variables? E.g, actual click throughs to the article?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:30 pm

Yes. I can tell based on "views" of a post in the first hour where the click-through rate is roughly the same but the reach is much higher when there is an image included.

ETA: I cannot control for every factor, obviously, but from the data I've seen there is definitely a pattern. More reach and better engagement with image posts.

Last edited by sbm12; Oct 23, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.