Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Do bloggers get special treatment from travel providers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:00 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

I think so.

As I have pointed out before, back around the turn of the century I used to have a site called goodwinmustgo.com and FA's would recognize my name on the manifest and give me special treatment all the time (they hated him as much as I did).

But this question was raised in another thread when I pointed out:

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
I have to be a destination man as many of my destinations are reached in Y

I enjoy his blogs from an aspirational view. A "Just how good can commercial air travel be"

After doing the residence his next kickstarter will need to be "Fund my private jet trip"
He has been there, done that, got the t-shirt: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ht-of-my-life/

Who says bloggers don't get special treatment!?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ah, the catch all use of "special" with implications regarding frequency
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I think they often do and often don't. And sometimes they do but perhaps not because of what we all might think.

They get rides in private jets and free trips to (Amex) events in NY. Ok.

Next most obviously, many bloggers are high-status across a lot of hotel and airline programs, and so get treatment that someone like me will almost never see. Also, even putting status aside, a "regular" at any individual hotel or restaurant is going to get special treatment, and if you spend a lot of time in hotels, you're going to be a regular way more often than, again, someone like me.

More subtly, many bloggers know all the tricks, e.g., just how to ask for an upgrade at an SPG property to get it and which flights (not Monday morning) to take to maximize the chances of an upgrade. Being a practiced sweet-talker helps, too.

And then there are the times they don't tell you about, when they really do get special treatment because they're recognized or drop a hint. I'm guessing this doesn't happen nearly as often as some people think, but I'm truly just guessing here.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
...but I'm truly just guessing here.
Mostly we all are when it comes to incremental special treatment, including the bloggers themselves.

They can't possibly know that the hotel manager noticed who they are and so give them the white glove treatment without being asked.

And obviously no blogger will ever cop to pulling a DYKWIA publicly.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
So do you have any new found insight that wasn't mentioned here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...ing-comps.html
and here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...g-content.html
and here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...-paid-fly.html

Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Is kokonutz getting paid for new threads?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Is kokonutz getting paid for new threads?
I wish I was paid for merging threads... if I got a nickel for each...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The truth is, you never really know.

I was at IC LeGrand two weeks ago. Despite having written a glowing piece on the hotel earlier this year, they actually refused to guarantee me connecting rooms and told me that I would have to stick my two kids (who they knew were 6 and 3) 'down the corridor'. I then threw a stink and they 'generously' allocated us adjacent rooms. On check-in I suddenly find a bottle of champagne in the room and, when I make a modest complaint, 10000 IHG points thrown at me.

Was the champagne damage limitation because the head of reservations realised how arrogant on her underlings had been? Or had they realised who I was? But if they did know who I was, why was I not upgraded?

Similarly, I got some free champagne from BA the other day because I got a plane with the old First Class seats. I was the only one who got it, but talking to other pax I seemed to be the only person in the cabin who had not been upgraded. I am also pretty sure my BA account is not flagged with my details because no-one has ever mentioned it to me.

I had many great upgrades and bits of compensation before I ever started writing anything. Bloggers tend to have status anyway which would make special treatment more the expectation than the norm.

(My Mrs got an upgrade on BA short-haul this week, which is almost unheard of. That is certainly nothing to do with me, but if it had been me flying then I'm sure some people would have felt I had special treatment.)

Bottom line is that unless you get a gift which says 'Pleasure to have you with us, Raffles' written on it, you never know.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:31 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
I think they keyword here is: *famous* bloggers get special treatment... thats a side effect of being famous, no matter what industry, rather than being a blogger per se. seems obvious cause for every Coins out there, there are 100s of unsuccessful bloggers who get no attention even if they try to pull the DYKWIA card
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by FTRox87
[...] there are 100s of unsuccessful bloggers who get no attention even if they try to pull the DYKWIA card
Like this blogger:

I signaled for her to come back and asked her to hang my coat. I then said this verbatim—

"I want you to understand why I was taking pictures. I hope you didn't think I was a terrorist. Here is my business card [offering her one]. I write about United Airlines on an almost-daily basis and the folks at United in Chicago are even aware of my blog."

She took my jacket but refused to take my business card saying, "No, that's okay," then saying, "I did not know that" after I explained my reason for taking pictures.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how special, how often

dont need to fame//fortune/status to get special treatment
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:01 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am involved with a travel company and we are increasingly getting a high volume of begging letters from bloggers asking for free trips.

They always get ignored, but anecdotally, bloggers certainly seem to have the expectation that they are worthy of special treatment for simply having set up a wordpress site and spat out their banal musings about fruit juice in Mexico.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Like this blogger:

HAHA... business card? haha, thats LITERALLY playing the DYKWIA card
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:11 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Like this blogger:

that story about matt @ upgrd getting kicked off the UA flight to IST was hilarious GS FTW
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
They always get ignored, but anecdotally, bloggers certainly seem to have the expectation that they are worthy of special treatment for simply having set up a wordpress site and spat out their banal musings about fruit juice in Mexico.
Many travel providers and marketing organizations are providing FAM trips to the bloggers instead of travel agents or accredited journalists. All about knowing who the target market is and if you can convert those freebies to a real RoI. Most smaller blogs likely don't have such yields but many providers have the budgets to give it a try and see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.