Chris Elliott joins [and leaves] Boarding Area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chris Elliott joins [and leaves] Boarding Area

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why does anyone think this will change the level of "interaction" of posts between the blogs?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:56 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
it seems obvious that's what Randy's gameplan is:

create artificial/scripted drama, increase traffic (esp cross traffic) ???, profit
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:02 am

How does this create more conflict/drama?

Does anyone here truly believe that there are posts NOT being written because of where the blogs are hosted??
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:13 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
How does this create more conflict/drama?
The claim as I understood it was that the move creates additional incentives for BA bloggers to pick play fights with CE -- whatever it takes to get him to mention them and add links back.

Does anyone here truly believe that there are posts NOT being written because of where the blogs are hosted??
Yes. Sharing a virtual water cooler means that some BA bloggers who haven't paid any attention to CE will look at what he writes. It's hard to imagine that this won't lead to posts that otherwise wouldn't have happened.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by IMH
The claim as I understood it was that the move creates additional incentives for BA bloggers to pick play fights with CE -- whatever it takes to get him to mention them and add links back.
What additional incentives? Do you think I'll get a bigger rev share % for starting a debate with another blogger on the site?

Originally Posted by IMH
Yes. Sharing a virtual water cooler means that some BA bloggers who haven't paid any attention to CE will look at what he writes.
Really?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i raised other possibilities in my second post, and others raised even more possibilities.

sbm12, i was obviously talking about elliott's traffic.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:28 am
IMH

What additional incentives? Do you think I'll get a bigger rev share % for starting a debate with another blogger on the site?
I've no idea why you're introducing the concept of revenue share. The expectation would be that increasing readership is likely to have a beneficial effect on revenue, full stop. Friendly spats with other bloggers are one way to draw in new readers.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
Friendly spats with other bloggers are one way to draw in new readers.
Sure, but that works regardless of where the blogs are hosted, right?

And I'm guessing CE doesn't change the URL and might not even change hosting so really the difference is what ads are served and what content shows on the Boarding Area front page and other feeds.

Again, what does this actually change in the way the various bloggers will interact or behave??

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
sbm12, i was obviously talking about elliott's traffic.
Obvious where? And to whom?

Maybe this increases his traffic, but he's already got a pretty big circulation. The "BA Bump" is great for smaller blogs in getting exposure but the percentage of traffic coming from BA trails off pretty quickly as you grow into your own brand. And he's already there.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:15 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Sure, but that works regardless of where the blogs are hosted, right?

And I'm guessing CE doesn't change the URL and might not even change hosting so really the difference is what ads are served and what content shows on the Boarding Area front page and other feeds.

Again, what does this actually change in the way the various bloggers will interact or behave??

Obvious where? And to whom?

Maybe this increases his traffic, but he's already got a pretty big circulation. The "BA Bump" is great for smaller blogs in getting exposure but the percentage of traffic coming from BA trails off pretty quickly as you grow into your own brand. And he's already there.
So why's he doing it?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Well, putting argumentativeness and sophistication -- real or posed -- aside for a moment, my view would be that at least two people with actual money riding on the matter are betting on increased traffic. There are, after all, at least some number of mightily unsophisticated people like me out there who mostly go through the Boarding Area front page.

It will be interesting to see how it all actually works out. I can hardly wait.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

increases his traffic
not what i said..
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
So why's he doing it?
This stuff really isn't all that complicated. I'm rather entertained at how many here seem to have trouble with the simple math behind how ad revenue on websites works.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTRox87
Randy's gameplan is: create artificial/scripted drama, increase traffic (esp cross traffic) ???, profit
not what i said

Originally Posted by IMH
claim as I understood it was that the move creates additional incentives for BA bloggers to pick play fights with CE -- whatever it takes to get him to mention them and add links back.
not what i said

unfortunately, this may be about obtaining traffic of big debates between him and others
what blog is moving - elliott
where is it moving to - BA
BA gets elliott's traffic
not complicated, very simple

i raised two other thoughts >

unless there is some kind of optimism (IMHO baseless) that he will focus on negative aspects of loyalty programs that "everyone" agrees with on the new BA blog

or maybe its just to be able to point to and say they have a counter perspective
after i read ben's thought >

huh. informing his readers. now that would be interesting. i will admit i was not even thinking of that.
both sides claim to be educating opposing side?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 3, 2014 at 1:14 pm
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:42 pm
IMH

You're not convinced; I still expect to see changes. Time will tell.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:09 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
This stuff really isn't all that complicated. I'm rather entertained at how many here seem to have trouble with the simple math behind how ad revenue on websites works.

Now, explain it to me like I'm a four-year-old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.