Go Back   > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 10, 14, 11:38 am   #1
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster
  
Join Date: May 1998
Location: 7 minutes from DCA
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 42,893
A thread for extraordinary blog posts with original content

We have threads for inane and ridiculous blog posts.

Here's one for really extraordinary original reporting by bloggers.



Mega-kudos to Seth for his award data mining project and reporting.

Really, really fascinating stuff, with visual representations to make points about award availability!

THIS is the kind of stuff that really sets bloggers apart!

http://blog.wandr.me/2014/09/the-sca...ard-inventory/

http://blog.wandr.me/2014/09/330-day...ard-inventory/

Bravo, sir. Bravo!
kokonutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 14, 12:06 pm   #2
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster
  
Join Date: May 1998
Location: 7 minutes from DCA
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 42,893
I also want to give a (smaller but equally grateful) kudo to Seth for taking the time to type out sections of the proceedings of the United MM case from the recording!

http://blog.wandr.me/2014/09/united-...ama-continues/

You're no stenographer, but the effort is certainly appreciated!


Especially compared to other who used that work to take credit for the phrase 'fingers crossed.' (but that's a subject for another thread...)
kokonutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 14, 12:28 pm   #3
  
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SAN
Posts: 476
I think we should just post Drew's entire blog here.
djtsukasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 14, 2:36 pm   #4
  
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: IAD
Programs: US-SP; AA-EXP
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
We have threads for inane and ridiculous blog posts.

Here's one for really extraordinary original reporting by bloggers.



Mega-kudos to Seth for his award data mining project and reporting.

Really, really fascinating stuff, with visual representations to make points about award availability!

THIS is the kind of stuff that really sets bloggers apart!

http://blog.wandr.me/2014/09/the-sca...ard-inventory/

http://blog.wandr.me/2014/09/330-day...ard-inventory/

Bravo, sir. Bravo!

+1. I was thinking the exact same thing when I read his blog today. This is some of the best and most useful content I have ever seen on BA.
bevoinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 14, 5:58 pm   #5
  
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Programs: Mahalo Rewards
Posts: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevoinva View Post
+1. I was thinking the exact same thing when I read his blog today. This is some of the best and most useful content I have ever seen on BA.
Indeed, this kinda stuff is quite useful and worth following.
84fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 14, 9:07 am   #6
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster
  
Join Date: May 1998
Location: 7 minutes from DCA
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 42,893
Another data mining project by Seth, this time on the relative 'value' of a hotel point:

http://blog.wandr.me/2014/12/real-va...campaign=12798
kokonutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 14, 9:43 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 14,445
So, is anyone ever going to get a kudo in this thread other than Seth?
kokonutz likes this.
eponymous_coward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 14, 11:13 am   #8
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster
  
Join Date: May 1998
Location: 7 minutes from DCA
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 42,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
So, is anyone ever going to get a kudo in this thread other than Seth?
When I or someone else finds really extraordinary original reporting by bloggers, I hope so!
kokonutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 15, 2:06 pm   #9
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster
  
Join Date: May 1998
Location: 7 minutes from DCA
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 42,893
Not a P&M blogger per se, but still, incredibly funny and spot on:

http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/for-god-...ine-1688251059

HT, Mr. Pickles on the face book.
kokonutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 15, 2:44 pm   #10
  
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Posts: 780
Our own techgirl has some great original posts about being an UberX driver, this is the first of many great posts that give you a look behind the scenes: 24 Hours as an UberX Driver
bthotugigem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 15, 6:56 pm   #11
  
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 2,686
Hey, this is up my territory:

Blogs I Love: http://travelbloggerbuzz.com/blog-reviews/blogs-i-love/

Blogs I Like: http://travelbloggerbuzz.com/blog-reviews/blogs-i-like/

I have one more list but I ignore it...for the most part
gpapadop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 15, 7:33 pm   #12
  
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Programs: Mahalo Rewards
Posts: 4,247
Really appreciated this one from WA rebuilding the DL award chart:

http://blog.wandr.me/2015/05/rebuild...s-award-chart/
84fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 15, 6:14 am   #13
  
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Really appreciated this one from WA rebuilding the DL award chart:

http://blog.wandr.me/2015/05/rebuild...s-award-chart/
Hope he finishes that project. As a comment on Seth's site notes, at least one award price is not correct.
Mountain Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 15, 10:09 am   #14
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
  
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 67,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
Hope he finishes that project. As a comment on Seth's site notes, at least one award price is not correct.
Incomplete is different from incorrect. All those prices were published and bookable at the time of the search. And the site clearly states that higher and lower rates may also be available.

And I've added about 75,000 data points in the past 3 days. The available data is growing and I expect that to continue for a long, long time.
sbm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 15, 11:53 am   #15
  
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Incomplete is different from incorrect. All those prices were published and bookable at the time of the search. And the site clearly states that higher and lower rates may also be available.

And I've added about 75,000 data points in the past 3 days. The available data is growing and I expect that to continue for a long, long time.
If your purpose is to show various award point levels that DL may charge, then it is incomplete. And not of much use. What I want, and I think most users want, is to have a way to know what the lowest level of points DL will charge so they can pursue that level. When the tool shows that, it will be invaluable.

As I posted, I hope the project is moved along further so that this handy tool provides the info I think most people want (and need).

Very unique work being done by Seth, for which should all thank him.
Mountain Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top