Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Is Peter Greenberg responsible for the current Knee Defender mess?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

Peter Greenberg wrote an article in June about the knee defender. A few weeks back, he Tweeted that article. Ever since then, we've been reading about knee defender in-flight problems.

Is Peter Greenberg responsible for the current flareup of issues?

Read this. http://petergreenberg.com/2014/06/06...e-coach-seats/

dh
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Milage Plan
From what I have read, most airlines have banned the use of the knee defender. From a segment on the local news, they said that sales spiked after the incident where the plane was diverted. I doubt Peter Greenberg's article really contributed to it.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Is Peter Greenberg responsible for the current flareup of issues?
I'd say the morons who use Knee Defender in violation of airline rules and the rights of other passengers are responsible for the current flareup of issues.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1K

If most airlines ban it, then these people are wasting their money. The only person who's profiting from it is the guy who invented it. Of all these people who yell "no recline," I wonder how many of them have ever flown a 10+ hour flight across an ocean.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by zigzagg900
If Of all these people who yell "no recline," I wonder how many of them have ever flown a 10+ hour flight across an ocean.
I wonder if the people who use this device also recline their own seat during a long flight.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:31 am
HMO

In other thread a guy wrote he observed only 10% pax recline their seats.

I'm pretty sure I'm not taking the same flights than this guy.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
I'd say the morons who use Knee Defender in violation of airline rules and the rights of other passengers are responsible for the current flareup of issues.
Yes, let's blame the people using Knee Defender and not blame the stupid crud that is the airline's ever greater quest to shove more and more seats closer and closer together so they can make those extra bucks.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by weekilter
Yes, let's blame the people using Knee Defender and not blame the stupid crud that is the airline's ever greater quest to shove more and more seats closer and closer together so they can make those extra bucks.
You are more than welcome to not fly on any airline in any service class who's terms of carriage you find unacceptable. But, if you DO choose to fly on such an airline in coach, you are accepting their terms of carriage, and need to observe them, because if your beef is with the airline, you have no business taking it out on the passenger seated in front of you, who is entitled to use the facility to recline their seat during the trip with the ticket that they have purchased.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
In light of the fact that this device has been around for years, I did find it odd that there was so much media coverage about this. I've been reading and hearing about it everywhere including in the local press in China.

Slow news cycle?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:17 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
Slow news cycle?
Probably ^
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by weekilter
So you object to airlines making as much money as possible as long as customers accept their terms. What alternative do you think the airlines ought to pursue instead? Do you believe they should voluntarily pull seatsets out of the planes, make everyone slightly more comfortable, and forego profit when history shows this to be bad business (TWA Comfort Class, AA MRTC, etc.)?

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
You are more than welcome to not fly on any airline in any service class who's terms of carriage you find unacceptable. But, if you DO choose to fly on such an airline in coach, you are accepting their terms of carriage, and need to observe them, because if your beef is with the airline, you have no business taking it out on the passenger seated in front of you.
Exactly. Get mad at the public for not boycotting tight seats with bad pitch, but you can't get mad at the airline for not going against its own self-interest.

Sometimes I think an airline run by FTers wouldn't last a week in the real business world.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by zigzagg900
If most airlines ban it, then these people are wasting their money.
When this thing first came out a few years ago, several of the comments here were from folks who saw value not in preventing recline altogether, but in preventing sudden, quick recline which could bruise knees or damage laptops. If that's why you're using it, it still serves that purpose. When the pax or FA complain, you just take it off and are ready for the recline.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by swag
When this thing first came out a few years ago, several of the comments here were from folks who saw value not in preventing recline altogether, but in preventing sudden, quick recline which could bruise knees or damage laptops. If that's why you're using it, it still serves that purpose. When the pax or FA complain, you just take it off and are ready for the recline.
Maybe seatback reclining mechanisms need a warning beeper, like when heavy machinery go into reverse. Combine that with a mechanism designed so that it reclines at a steady, deliberate pace no matter how hard you push on it. That way someone has a fair chance to adjust knees, laptops, etc.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
A number of years ago, my son gave me a set of Knee Defenders (really great name!) because he knew I kept getting hit by the rude person in front of me (I have a leg injury). I, OTOH, even on 13+ hour flights - three to four times a year - do not recline because I do not want to affect the person behind me. I have chosen not to use the devices because I felt they were ALMOST as rude as the person reclining without warning. Maybe once out of a hundred times, I have had the passenger in front actually tell me they are getting ready to recline - this was appreciated. If people would just inform, there would be no problem, fewer injuries, and fewer broken laptops - and no need for Knee Defenders.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since there is a forum for discussing other travel blogs, I will move this there.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.