Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frugal Travel Guy Rookie Bootcamp - Sept 20th - Savannah, GA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:57 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Just changed our plans... need to be back in Athens for Sunday. So probably will not arrive until about 2 am after Garth Brooks concert in Atlanta Friday evening... and will head back after the event.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:53 pm
Suspended

This is awesome. I'm based in JAX [I follow you and your wife on Instagram - @isserprice here] and will probably come up for this event.

I just found the thread...assuming it's not sold out?

While I'm not into tracking hacking as much as I used to be, per se, there's still a lot of good info to be picked up here [I've gone to the dark side....paying for a lot of my trips - Virtuoso TA here].

P.S. Howie and Co.: maybe not this time around, but one of these conferences, I'd love to give a talk on stacking elite benefits w/ Virtuoso benefits. Surprised nobody really discusses this.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is a credit card blogger who is also a virtuoso agent who also does award booking and PR work

but youre right, there are a lot of virtuoso bloggers, but they dont talk much about the status side, probably one of the biggest reasons being TA rates rarely if ever qualify

you did some luxury travel before becoming an agent, that seems to be less common

there was one agent who put together a bunch of stuff, lists of properties by chain, and i seem to recall a bunch of other flyertalk oriented stuff on status etc (that they did)

occasionally an agent will do a little bit along those lines, but not to a large extent

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 7, 2014 at 7:44 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there is a credit card blogger who is also a virtuoso agent who also does award booking and PR work

but youre right, there are a lot of virtuoso bloggers, but they dont talk much about the status side, probably one of the biggest reasons being TA rates rarely if ever qualify

you did some luxury travel before becoming an agent, that seems to be less common

there was one agent who put together a bunch of stuff, lists of properties by chain, and i seem to recall a bunch of other flyertalk oriented stuff on status etc (that they did)

occasionally an agent will do a little bit along those lines, but not to a large extent
I don't know why, but it's almost a hush-hush subject. Seriously, it's just not that talked about. And...it's surprising because Virtuoso works so well with elite status.

Yes, I did a lot of luxury travel before becoming an agent. I went to 33 countries, in more or less luxurious circumstances, before becoming a TA. That travel, and those products, are what pushed me to do it [essentially stopped being a full-time lawyer].

I'm in the process of working on a blog that's a little different than the rest. Not obsessive compliance w/ hotel/air/status, but also cruise, transfer, travel insurance, rentals, villas, safari, hell...even trips to space. It takes time to make something quality though.

Anyways, back on topic. Howie, probably coming to SAV. Will know early this week.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most people dont care about stuff discussed on flyertalk, its niche
and if agent rates dont qualify, they never learn about it themelves
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by pricesquire
This is awesome. I'm based in JAX [I follow you and your wife on Instagram - @isserprice here] and will probably come up for this event.

I just found the thread...assuming it's not sold out?

While I'm not into tracking hacking as much as I used to be, per se, there's still a lot of good info to be picked up here [I've gone to the dark side....paying for a lot of my trips - Virtuoso TA here].

P.S. Howie and Co.: maybe not this time around, but one of these conferences, I'd love to give a talk on stacking elite benefits w/ Virtuoso benefits. Surprised nobody really discusses this.
plenty of space; get registered and your butt to Savannah! ^
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:37 am

I see you got a mention in TalkMail.... how is the count looking?

Looking forward to meeting some new Flyertalkers... and hope you all sign up for Secret Santa!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
I see you got a mention in TalkMail.... how is the count looking?

Looking forward to meeting some new Flyertalkers... and hope you all sign up for Secret Santa!
28 signups for this HOT (and possibly stormy) weekend
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:44 pm

80 degrees and a possible afternoon thunderstorm. That is not HOT!

Originally Posted by hdawg
28 signups for this HOT (and possibly stormy) weekend
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
80 degrees and a possible afternoon thunderstorm. That is not HOT!
... what .... do you live in Georgia??!?!?! oh yeah

i'm seeing 88 as a high and nasty humidity ... it'll feel like 95+
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:52 pm

As long as we are inside and it is air conditioned.... I will be good. I do not have the body for hot temperatures.... and many other things!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Love seeing all these Southeast FT'ers...

JAX here, I see a few SAV and Athens and ATL. Maybe a Marietta in the mix.

Will be a game time decision whether I can make it. May have to make a quick drive up to AVL which would screw my SAV plans. We'll see.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:24 pm

Looking forward to attending this Saturday. I plan to come-in Friday day. Please let me know if there is a Friday evening gathering. Will be fun to meet other travelers and learn more FTG hobby tips.

John from Amelia Island by way of Virginia
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:18 am

For anyone staying in Savannah, you might be interested in this deal I just got from LivingSocial.

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1...m_source=blast
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:32 am

Thanks to Howie and Rick

The Savannah boot camp was a great success for me personally, and Rick and Howie are owed a big thank you--they certainly spent their personal funds and used a big block of their personal time to educate the newbies and a number of the not-so-newbies. It was a much friendlier and more sharing event than I found Chicago to be three years ago. You guys ought to limit these to 25 or so participants and charge $100 each--it would be well worth the price for those who want to ask questions and really feel like participants.

So thank you both and I look forward to another one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.