Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

[Renés]Delta Points: The "funny" little things you should know [DP discussion merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Renés]Delta Points: The "funny" little things you should know [DP discussion merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points

It is not OK ripping off others work without permission or attribution.
Awww. Did you learn that from Delta's C&D Letter after using Delta's name for your blog for years without permission or attribution?

Theft is theft!
FTFY.

Apparently, proper grammar still isn't the focus.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Theft is is theft!
And as I was saying, proofreading is is proofreading.

(Are we all just playing his insane game?)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
See: http://sarafhawkins.com/copyright-in...-peoples-work/

Theft is is theft!

Just because you don't like something at some store if you walk out without paying you still can land in jail.
Hey Rene! Thanks for finding a vaguely on-topic blog post from a rando lawyer and linking to it.

I'll explain now, though, why it is off topic.

There is no requirement, legal or otherwise, to provide a link to someone's news article when quotng it. Of course, it would be unethical to pass off one's work as his or her own, but there is no requirement to hyperlink where, in this case, the source of the quoted language is made clear. In other words, a hyperlink doesn't change anything.

To the extent that you have concerns about "theft" of your blog posts via a limited quotation for a noncommercial use, you may want to ask Sara F Hawkins about the fair use doctrine. Or you can take a look at this explanation from Stanford University Libraries

In relevant part, that site states:
"If you are commenting upon or critiquing a copyrighted work—for instance, writing a book review—fair use principles allow you to reproduce some of the work to achieve your purposes. Some examples of commentary and criticism include:

quoting a few lines from a Bob Dylan song in a music review
summarizing and quoting from a medical article on prostate cancer in a news report
copying a few paragraphs from a news article for use by a teacher or student in a lesson, or
copying a portion of a Sports Illustrated magazine article for use in a related court case.

The underlying rationale of this rule is that the public reaps benefits from your review, which is enhanced by including some of the copyrighted material. Additional examples of commentary or criticism are provided in the examples of fair use cases."

So, class, today we have learned that no, quoting a blog for the purpose of mocking it, with or without a hyperlink, is not "theft." Now, the library is closed for the evening.

XOXO HTH.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:53 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by josephstern
And as I was saying, proofreading is is proofreading.

(Are we all just playing his insane game?)
As I've said before: It's my personal belief that the blog owner purposefully has made ponderous syntax and grammar part of his brand.

But that's JMHO and YMMV!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by kokonutz
As I've said before: It's my personal belief that the blog owner purposefully has made ponderous syntax and grammar part of his brand.

Other than everything that I have posted in this attack thread, this may be the only slightly factual thing here!

Last edited by Renes Points; Apr 19, 2017 at 5:48 am
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Thank you for your multiple AMP/RBPs and PM. Since post 279 and 280 are in line with FT rules, we'll let it it stand as is for now: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#copyrighted

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz

Did you have my permission to quote me?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:20 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Other than everything that I have posted in this attack thread, this may be the only slightly factual thing here!
I disagree with you in the strongest terms possible.

A great deal of truth about your blog has been written here. Much of it clever and amusing to boot!

Certainly more clever than using poor syntax and grammar as a brand component...@:-)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
See: http://sarafhawkins.com/copyright-in...-peoples-work/

Theft is is theft!

Just because you don't like something at some store if you walk out without paying you still can land in jail.
Bizarre behavior such as adding your links to others' FT posts and ranting - incorrectly - about theft, don't do anything to bolster your weblog.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Bizarre behavior such as adding your links to others' FT posts and ranting - incorrectly - about theft, don't do anything to bolster your weblog.
She is looking for better search engine rankings via backlinks, and any links via a well-known website such as FT is yugeee. Sadly FT allow such links but hopefully one day that can be changed so failing bloggers cannot take unfair advantage without providing meaningful contributions.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
for those who like parodies, I found a funny parody twitter of the Rene points blog.

https://twitter.com/fakerenespoints?lang=en
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader
for those who like parodies, I found a funny parody twitter of the Rene points blog.

https://twitter.com/fakerenespoints?lang=en
Creeper Medallion

Thanks for the laughs! I gotta read the tweets later.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Creeper Medallion

Thanks for the laughs! I gotta read the tweets later.
Fair warning.... I was banned by the real account almost immediately after I started following the parody account. And I don't even tweet, only follow people... so ... he...is...watching...
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy
Fair warning.... I was banned by the real account almost immediately after I started following the parody account. And I don't even tweet, only follow people... so ... he...is...watching...
haha, that is really funny actually to think that someone spends time daily to cull the list of followers to add them to a ban list... "now they can't see my tweets when they log in - that will teach them!!"
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy
Those who support HATE sites have no business following me on twitter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.